PDA

View Full Version : Colour coding opinions

Zdster
22-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi all :wave: ,

I have decided that it is time to colour code some of the parts of my car. It is a red ek hatch and I just wanted opinions on what you all thought I should paint.

Should I paint:
- The door mouldings
- Side skirts
- Rear number plate surround
- Mirrors
- Somethings else?????

OR some combination of all of these? :confused:

Let me know what you think.

nobbs
22-12-2004, 09:25 AM
i rekn color code it all, looks much cleaner :)

heres a pic of my old red hatchback with colorcoding done

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/nobby233-anq40m.JPG

Zdster
22-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Hmmm . . . It does look really good. Did you do it yourself or did you pay a shop to do it for you? Do you happen to have any shots of the rear?

Anyone else got any other opinions?

traNce_gl
22-12-2004, 10:50 AM
colour code make the car more cleaner

I say a workshop can do it for you wont cost that much

jords
22-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Colour code the lot like nobbs' old ride.
Get it painted professionally, its worth it in the end.

22-12-2004, 12:20 PM
thats sexy man!!! yeh im gonna get colour coding don after new years.

how much did it cost you guys.. i wanna see if im getting ripped off?

side moulding, mirrors, doorhandles, back plate area...??

(im gonna get a kit too so yeh doing it all at once.)

Zdster
22-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the responses all.

Do you think that getting the rear bit where the plate sits done as well will be to much?

Z
22-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Get it all done - Number plate surround included. It should cost you ~$250.

EDIT: Tight EK Nobbs :thumbsup:

Zdster
22-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Oh yeah. I got a quote to get bits colour coded and was quoted over $600 bucks :( :thumbdwn: .

I had a look on the forums here (see this thread by DNA Autoworks in Victoria
--> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9724) and they are quoting $200 plus 20-30% at the end of December (around $240-260) but I am not sure what parts that they would be painting :confused: (ie if that is just side skirts/ door moldings etc).

Zdster
22-12-2004, 12:29 PM
So I was really being sold down the river for $600 + then :eek: (not happy jan :thumbdwn: )

Z
22-12-2004, 12:37 PM
So I was really being sold down the river for $600 + then :eek: (not happy jan :thumbdwn: )
Well, Im not to sure.

When I was down at DNA, i got quoted ~250 for the colour coding (not sure if that includes side skirts/plate surround), ~500 with lips, if my memory serves me correctly.

Having said that, $600 does sound a bit rich. Call around some places, perhaps if you know someone else with the same colour car it will cut down the cost.

J-MuN
22-12-2004, 12:37 PM
yo nobbs... that is one sexy EK... very nice... wat rims are they man?... i like them.........i like them alot...:D

Zdster
22-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, Im not to sure.

When I was down at DNA, i got quoted ~250 for the colour coding (not sure if that includes side skirts/plate surround), ~500 with lips, if my memory serves me correctly.

Having said that, $600 does sound a bit rich. Call around some places, perhaps if you know someone else with the same colour car it will cut down the cost.
I think that I will email them and ask. Will let you all know what I find out . . .

Z
22-12-2004, 12:47 PM
I think that I will email them and ask. Will let you all know what I find out . . .
That'd be good. Im looking to get mine done during January. Much appreciated :D

michael_antoi
22-12-2004, 04:40 PM
i was thinking of doing this..

my car is a 94 breeze...

my mate told me that if i get the bits done it will look odd becoz the resprayed bits will look new and the originals will stand out..

anyone had experience with this..

my paint is still very good. barely any scratches etc..

Zdster
22-12-2004, 05:44 PM
I personally cant comment as my car is a fair bit younger than yours although I when I recently removed a badge from the rear there was no difference in the paint where the badge previously was and the rest of the car.

[ slayer ]
22-12-2004, 07:20 PM
well when i just had my kit fitted on the gen 2 crx, i didnt get full respray cos i gonna mod some exterior parts still, so they just painted the kit, they told me looked like 2 different colours so they cut and polished the stock paint and now all matches perfectly

Zdster
22-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Here is the response that I got from DNA:

the ozhonda promotion only applies to:

1. plastic door moulds
2. stock side skirts

it will be an extra $100 if you want your door handles and rear number plate surround done.

note this price does not include repairs to dents, scratches ect..

Compared to the other quote that I got this still seems pretty resonable.

nobbs
22-12-2004, 10:30 PM
yeah i got a pic of the back somewhere on my computer, ill see if i can find it, i had it all done, do the number plate surround it looks better.If u dont do it ppl will think u didnt go it coz u couldnt afford it or something lol

mine cost me $300 to do, and it took one full day at a panel beaters...when they first did it the color between the old paint and new paint were the same in sunlight but at night under lights u can tell the difference between the new paint and the old paint

about 2 months after i got the color coding done my dad ran into my car in my driveway so i got the whole outside repainted, looked nicer then...

i miss that car now that i look back at it, but i know the new owner has taken care of it

VTi-RT
22-12-2004, 10:42 PM
The good panel shops will grab a painted part of your car (normally the fuel cover) and get it computer analysed. That way you'll get a perfect match... Ask what their process are....

most jobs are just a sand down and spray in color... you should ask them to spray an undercoat/hifill then color...

Brescia
22-12-2004, 10:46 PM
i rekn color code it all, looks much cleaner :)

heres a pic of my old red hatchback with colorcoding done

Hey i know the new owner of that...
neat car man, was well looked after :thumbsup:

and yeah, colour code it all, gives cars a newer look

mytoycivic
22-12-2004, 11:17 PM
if you remove all the parts yourself and then take them in, do you guys think it would be a little cheaper!!!???

hmm not a bad price either way really...

JDM Element
23-12-2004, 03:47 AM
Word....
ur car is off the hizzle my dizzle...
and yeah those rims are nice as man!!

Zdster
23-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Thanks all for the replies.

Yeah, I think that I will have the whole thing done. I will send another PM to DNA to see what process they use.

luzinit
23-12-2004, 09:53 AM
get the whole thing done dude, looks much nicer. i got mine done all for 250, but i took all the moulds n stuff off myself n saved some labour. I got various quotes, usually around 450-600 mark to do the whole lot, so ur quote of 600 isnt far off.

also would be wise to check if they paint the moulds while they are on the car, by maskin it off, or whether they remove the mould n paint!

Zdster
23-12-2004, 10:13 AM
get the whole thing done dude, looks much nicer. i got mine done all for 250, but i took all the moulds n stuff off myself n saved some labour. I got various quotes, usually around 450-600 mark to do the whole lot, so ur quote of 600 isnt far off.

also would be wise to check if they paint the moulds while they are on the car, by maskin it off, or whether they remove the mould n paint!

Thanks for the advice. I have asked them in my latest email so I will see what they say when they get back to me.

2MPRSS
23-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Hey i know the new owner of that...
neat car man, was well looked after :thumbsup:

and yeah, colour code it all, gives cars a newer lookithink ive see nthat ek on parramatta rd a few times nice looking car

23-12-2004, 11:41 AM
reallye local panel place quoted me $450.. but if nobbs got it $300.. hahah im not paying more than $300.

hey nobbs.. where did you get it done?? pm the place y0!? :thumbsup:

**Ghost**
23-12-2004, 11:58 AM
hey man!!

My advice is NOT to do it urself. I was trying to DIY at the start and believe me its impossible (or nearly) to actually get the mouldings off without bending them. And if u bend them they wont click back into place.

Plus, u are not going to ever get the same effect as a professional with a oven room

anyway if u in melbounre i know a place for 350

Zdster
23-12-2004, 12:39 PM
hey man!!

My advice is NOT to do it urself. I was trying to DIY at the start and believe me its impossible (or nearly) to actually get the mouldings off without bending them. And if u bend them they wont click back into place.

Plus, u are not going to ever get the same effect as a professional with a oven room

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I am just waiting to here back from DNA to hear what they say and I will PM you if I am looking for a place in the future.

Cheers

armak81
23-12-2004, 06:14 PM
hey man!!

it is possible to remove the moulds with minimal bending if you remove the door trim. Use plies to sqeeze the clips and have a friend slowly peel the moulds out.

Zdster
23-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks for posting armak81.

luzinit
23-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Its not hard to take ALL the moulds off.... if anyone ever needs to know how to get a specific bit off, PM me, but its very easy, u just need patience!!!

armak81
24-12-2004, 01:38 AM
if anyone has specific questions in regards to colour coding please pm me...

Zdster
24-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Just to let you all know that DNA has been very patient in answering all of my questions (and they have been numerous) and I suggest that you PM them if you have any questions.

barefootbonzai
24-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Hey Nobbs, what springs did you use to lower your red civic?