PDA

View Full Version : redline noise? help!!

cihanvtec
13-06-2010, 02:39 AM
hey guys,

my d16y1 redlines at 7200 rpm, when i hit about 6500 it makes a tingling/grinding noise till it gets to 7200.. im not a harsh driver or anything, just now and then when i decide to push the car a little, i hear this noise.. what could this be? its not a really noticable and aggressive noise, i guess i just realise coz im aware of it, but i know it shouldnt be making that kinda noise.. any ideas?

thanks

~Sp33~
13-06-2010, 01:46 PM
You sure it's not supposed to make that noise? Have you ever compared it to another D series engine revving out to 7200?

It could be anything though.

cihanvtec
13-06-2010, 03:49 PM
yeahh im pretty sure.. its only started doing it recently. it just doesnt sound right..

~Sp33~
13-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Perhaps it's vocalising it's protest at working so hard? :P

But seriously, how many K's are on the engine. Engine tolerances are going to get worse over time, was it a progressive thing? Or just one day it started sounding like this?

You could try some new oil and see if that gets rid of the growl.

OMG.JAI xD
13-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Poor fuel, youre pinging at high rpms.
Or check spark strength.

aznalex
15-06-2010, 03:51 AM
agree with above, i put in shell v-power and now i can rev my car normally..

had exact same problem except with D16Y4 engine, rattles at high RPM if im on regular unleaded.

i have got to get my car checked out soon lol... cause i dont want to keep filling up v-power =/ my engine isnt even that great

btw the noise you were trying to explain is more like a ratling right?

RandyRhydah
15-06-2010, 10:02 AM
+1 for better fuel, also does it have a cold air intake? they get noisy in high revs

cihanvtec
15-06-2010, 04:20 PM
yeah thats its a more rattling sound.. didnt come to my mind when i was trying to explain! loll.. ive had the car since january this year and ive always used v power or BP 98. nothing else! and yep i do have a CAI, that might be the problem..

thanks guysss

mytfoz
18-06-2010, 04:03 AM
hrrrmmm well im getting a rattling noise on gear 1, 2 and 3 roughly over 3500rpm.
gearbox/clutch/running gear problem maybe?

Glocker
18-06-2010, 12:25 PM
All I can hear is a big WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA H from 5000rpm (VTEC KICKED IN YO). I think you are pinging because mine pings but from 2000rpm to 3000rpm, but after that it stops...either that or the exhaust noise drowned it out.

~Sp33~
18-06-2010, 05:23 PM
hrrrmmm well im getting a rattling noise on gear 1, 2 and 3 roughly over 3500rpm.
gearbox/clutch/running gear problem maybe?

Why would it be any of those if it's revs and not speed dependent?

mytfoz
19-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Why would it be any of those if it's revs and not speed dependent?

no idea.
theres heaps of politics on this kind of stuff that leads to others.
well my old car had a similar problem and it was something to do with the running gear but who knows.
maybe the new owner fixed it.

aznalex
19-06-2010, 07:40 PM
i think if you get rattling at low RPM its something loose in your engine bay or gearbox/clutch.
like your car is old and it cant handle low revs well?

rattling at high rpm is more like engine pinging which is what me and OP are experiencing..

@OP : have u tried high octane? did it help??
also how is your oil looking? charred black or golden?

im gonna do an oil change and spark plug replacement to see if that will help my engine ping go away!
i think the previous owner put some real bad engine oil in mine, turned from golden to black in 2 months lol..
im guessing they (my previous car owner) did a cheap service and may have put in some crappy no frills spark plugs and so on =/