PDA

View Full Version : Petrol

ekay1
13-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, i was just wondering which petrol everyone puts in for their FD's ;)

xenonkuraz
13-06-2010, 09:08 PM
V-Power
E10
Ultimate

OMG.JAI xD
13-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Highly recommend 95RON at minimum.
Especially if its the r18 engine.

That engine has alot of emissions controlling systems. Poor octane fuel may cause excessive carbon build up in both the intake and exhaust side.

Stick to 98. For 5 or so more cents, the results in the long run is excellent.

tinymoon
13-06-2010, 10:51 PM
To me, do what the manual guide ask me to do. RON91 , E10 or V Power. Mostly use RON91

anfo2gig
14-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Put the requirement RON on the manual book.
But I would go with BP Utilimate :)

ekay1
14-06-2010, 01:05 AM
I go with ultimate, does it make much difference though like performance wise or life for the engine, if premium or unleaded? Havent used v-power yet, but Bp ultimate seems to do fine =)

chenny
14-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm using Vortex98 at the moment. I noticed the engine is abit more quieter when it's idling and it accelerates more smoothly. It also doesn't shake as much when the revs are low, but maybe it's a psychological thing.

evil_1998
14-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Premium 95.

My car used to eat up fuel like crazy after upgrading to Skunk2 Mega Power 60mm Exhaust. Was getting 350-380km's on fuel tank, driving like a granny.

Then tried Premium 95, was surprised was getting alot better fuel consuption for a few extra dollars. About 450km+ mostly 2-2.5K shift with a little bit of spirited driving.

Don't know if just me, but I noticed better mileage with 95 than 98.

xenonkuraz
14-06-2010, 01:17 PM
fuel consumption went up after installing a muffler? what the?

evil_1998
14-06-2010, 01:51 PM
It's full cat back exhaust, not just muffler. I think it was running a bit rich, had a bit of popping ocassionally. Seemed like the fuel was burning too early/quickly hence the bad fuel consumption?

curtis265
14-06-2010, 09:44 PM
You were probably running rich, but why would u run rich all of a sudden :S

i use caltex 95. Gets me about 8.2L/100km with my daily shitty 6km cold engine drive

Stig
15-06-2010, 12:09 AM
10L/100km on BP Ultimate FTW

ekay1
15-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Would you guys recommend BP ultimate for best burning too? Ive switched to BP recently, and it seems to be giving me better efficiency. If it burns better, wouldnt it eat up more fuel?

jyh888
15-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Agreed, BP ultimate tried and tested for best mileage

curtis265
15-06-2010, 03:11 PM
BP won't be around for much longer though.

Nairda
24-06-2010, 04:04 PM
i havent got an FD yet but id probably stick with V-Power or RON95....standard unleaded should give you -1L/100km over cheapy fuels and E10, premium should give you another -1L/100km.

I worked it out and its more economical to buy normal RON95

At the moment in my ED3: E10 + caltex(safeway) petrol = 9-10L/100km, shell unleaded 95 = 8-8.5L/100km, V-Power 7-8L/100km? (not sure havent tried it but that would be my estimate)

FDBenni
24-06-2010, 04:20 PM
i doubt it will make that big of a difference in a FD, the difference between standard and premium would probably be 0.5l if that. I still use the premium though since it feels slightly more responsive(could be placebo effect) and helps with the pinging.

Nairda
24-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Would you guys recommend BP ultimate for best burning too? Ive switched to BP recently, and it seems to be giving me better efficiency. If it burns better, wouldnt it eat up more fuel?

Not necessarily...quality of the fuel depends on the content of hydrocarbons inside the solution and impurities...

Let me educate you a little since im studying organic chemistry =P

Octane content is important because it gives off a good amount of energy when you burn it and it forms CO2 and H2O being more stable than a long hydrocarbon chain. According to wikipedia it gives off standard enthalpy of −5430 kJ/mol in combustion. (Enthalpy = the change in energy when a reaction occurs. "-" means exothermic reaction and energy is given off, positive integers means endothermic and energy is absorbed)

Fuels that dont have as much of these nice long chains (Octane +) and have more Ethanol (E10) and thus do not give as high energy when burnt. Wikipedia suggests that Ethanol's standard enthalpy for combustion –1370.7 kJ/mol.

So from these figures you can see that 1 mol of octane gives off more energy when combusted (which is expected because octane has more carbons and more hydrogens, as well as one mol of octane is heavier than ethanol). However as it turns out i just worked out the Molar Mass of ethanol which is 46 and octane is 114.. so actually in octane you are getting 2x the amount of energy per mol combusted even when you get near equal mass amounts

Also quality of fuel takes into account less impurities such as sulfates that are usually found inside crude oil so when you talk about "Good quality fuel" such as VPower and Ultimate, they have less impurities because they have been processed that much more (more filtration, purer fractional distillation)

Therefore the "purer" the fuel, the more energy you actually obtain from the combustion because theres more hydrocarbons per drop....less impurities such as sulfates that dont give off a lot of energy when combusted. Pure ethanol also vaporises quite quickly so you may actually "lose" a little in the combustion process. (which is the fuel smell when you open your filler cap...some fuel has vaporised)

Thus in comparison your engine works like this:
I need X amount of energy to accelerate from 0 - 80km/h and with fuel with no ethanol it takes "O" amount
the same X energy for acceleration from 0 - 80km/h requires "E" amount from E10 which is a x% more than the amount "O"

So every time your car needs to get up the same hill, will need to use that much x% more E10 than O

I hope this deserves a PQ point =)

Nairda
24-06-2010, 04:27 PM
i doubt it will make that big of a difference in a FD, the difference between standard and premium would probably be 0.5l if that. I still use the premium though since it feels slightly more responsive(could be placebo effect) and helps with the pinging.

i ran with United E10 for a month and then compared it to running Caltex Safeway and then Shell Unleaded using iphone road trip program...so it wasnt a psychological conclusion =P...based on organic chemistry it would have an affect depending on the quality and purity of fuel you get

FDBenni
24-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Might be true for your car but not the FD. I was able to achieve 7l/100km on standard unleaded, but there's no way I can get 5-6l/100km using premium unleaded if driving style was unchanged. It's hard to really test the differences unless you have IDENTICAL trips, there probably are differences but not as big as you claim.

Nairda
24-06-2010, 04:46 PM
of course its not a linear relationship...im pretty sure you cant go as low as 5 or 6 because honda must have tested their initial reading with the best fuel they were capable (probably in japan with their RON100) so whatever they state on their website is like the very best you can get...none of us will get 6.9 on the stuff australia gets...you will get 6.9 if you do highway driving and use V-Power Ultimate of that im pretty sure.

As i said before the differences were going from cheapy United E10/Caltex Safeway Unleaded and Shell Unleaded....i havent tried (and probably wont anymore on my bomb) using V-Power. But its incredibly likely that if you want to get the minimum fuel consumption, your best bet fuel to use would be the premium types

ekay1
24-06-2010, 05:06 PM
AHaha, i think i fell forn the placebo effect when i used BP ultimate xD
And guys, how much does everyone run on a full tank? and how much fuel is left whne the light turns on. Cause today, the light turned on when it had 2 bars left, and i got worried so i refuelled. Plus, last time, when i went to refuel, and the gauge JUST dropped to every bar gone, i filled up 40L to full. However, in the manual, it reads that the has 7.5L left once the light turns on. Whats going on T_T
and on average, ive been getting bit under 400k's on a fuel tank on a new FD1 auto.

FDBenni
24-06-2010, 05:20 PM
too scared to test the limits but its about 10 litres or so, so maybe you can drive a further 100km with the light on. Either way I think you'd want to start looking for a petrol station at 1-2 bar, haha.

curtis265
24-06-2010, 06:00 PM
when the light comes on i fill and get 42L. ( and no bars)

Nairda
24-06-2010, 06:04 PM
use a program like Road Trip on the iphone or take down your travelled kms and then:
how much you pumped / how many you travelled
That way you wont be getting inaccurate readings based on what the needle says

br3nny
30-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey fellas ....FN2R using 98RON either Vortex or Ultimate (don't have Vpower here),

initially getting the car it was running about 9.5l/100km

after putting on the CAI and cat-back exhaust car is running rich but achieved 8.7l/100kms
(burple/pops in the exhaust when shifting of letting go of the throttle)

now i've gone with lighter rims, and taken out anything that not necessary that adds when driving to drop the weight according to my ODM trip log i'm getting on average 8.3l/100kms

gets me about 450-500kms a tank depending on how i'm driving

i'm thinking with a tune it could go down even more

tinymoon
01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Come to conclusion that using BP ultimate enable me to drive up tp 500km or some time 520km/tank.

ekay1
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
How tiny? 500k? in surburan streets? or highway.

tinymoon
08-07-2010, 04:31 AM
I usually get 500 to 560 in surburan streets until the last bar in fuel off (I live in gold coast). I tried last time with high way drive from Gold Coast to Sunshine coast and should be able o get more than 650 (cruise control on).

kiwitrains
16-07-2010, 04:03 PM
If it says 91 on the box you are wasting money putting anything else in believe me, yes its psychological.

br3nny
16-07-2010, 04:46 PM
quick tip though ... if you fill 91 you should put in a tank of premium or 98 aprrox once a month...it'll help clear out all the crap left behind by the additives in the lower octance fuels (ie like the purple dye used to colour 91ron fuel)

dadar
20-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Hey fellas ....FN2R using 98RON either Vortex or Ultimate (don't have Vpower here),

initially getting the car it was running about 9.5l/100km

after putting on the CAI and cat-back exhaust car is running rich but achieved 8.7l/100kms
(burple/pops in the exhaust when shifting of letting go of the throttle)

now i've gone with lighter rims, and taken out anything that not necessary that adds when driving to drop the weight according to my ODM trip log i'm getting on average 8.3l/100kms

gets me about 450-500kms a tank depending on how i'm driving

i'm thinking with a tune it could go down even more

seriously? ever since i got my car, the most ive gotten out of my fn2 is 458kms (yes i do keep track), worst was 348kms..
on average i'd say around 420kms per tank. i normally fill up around prolly between 20-40kms after the low fuel light starts to come on.
do u do a lot of freeway driving or what?

br3nny
20-07-2010, 09:53 AM
half n half ?

car got better as the time went on from when i first got it

i've lightened up the load on the car tho so that would help a bit, saved all up about 30+ kgs

to break it down
exhaust saved about 7kgs
intake i guess 2kgs (from all that plastic tubing)
rims 20kgs (5kgs per wheel)
spare tyre 5kg (i think)

should be getting flashpro sometime in the future too so hopefully that should help a bit more......if i'm not trying to vtec it all the time haha

br3nny
20-07-2010, 09:56 AM
i normally fill up around prolly between 20-40kms after the low fuel light starts to come on.
do u do a lot of freeway driving or what?

try not to leave it too low to fill up all the time petrol evaporates like crazy ! so the more air you leave in the fuel tank the more room the fuel has to evaporate into

also when you fill up all the splashing around makes it evaporate a little quicker and with a smaller amount of fuel you get more movement... you can see how much it evaporates when people fill up !

sound petty but if you think about it over a long period of time it adds up i guess

Honwent
21-07-2010, 06:21 PM
fuel consumption went up after installing a muffler? what the?

if its a sports exhaust you are probably driving it a bit harder to listen to it.

ekay1
21-07-2010, 09:03 PM
but wouldnt 91 decrease the performance? like against ulitmate and v-power. Plus, i think that its better on the engine if you fill up with better petrol. And btw, does anyone know if its necessary to replace the engine oil on the first 5000km run in a new car?

tinymoon
21-07-2010, 11:47 PM
According to the service book manual. If you often do cold start and drive less than 10 km (short distance drive, a lot of stop and start or 8km), you should change the engine oil every 5000km. I change my engine oil every 5000km (5W-40 or 5W-30 depend on seasons)

curtis265
22-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Wow brenny, thinking deep i see.

I find that if i fill up after 1 week, using almost half the tank (20L), it works out to be less fuel efficient than refilling at the end of 2 weeks (around 40L)

Any explanation for that?

ekay1
22-07-2010, 07:15 PM
According to the service book manual. If you often do cold start and drive less than 10 km (short distance drive, a lot of stop and start or 8km), you should change the engine oil every 5000km. I change my engine oil every 5000km (5W-40 or 5W-30 depend on seasons)

Thanks tiny. Which engine oil would you recommend for the FD1? The service book manual says everything OEM honda :P

br3nny
23-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Wow brenny, thinking deep i see.

I find that if i fill up after 1 week, using almost half the tank (20L), it works out to be less fuel efficient than refilling at the end of 2 weeks (around 40L)

Any explanation for that?

without getting into specifics my guess is that it would depend on quite a few things like how often you'd use your air con..where your driving (ie freeway...start stop) and have you got the same amount weight in the car at all times (except for fuel) and if your going by your fuel gauge as a halfway point ?? cause its never half hahah i find it goes down quicker the lower it gets on mine anyway

br3nny
23-07-2010, 12:50 AM
but wouldnt 91 decrease the performance? like against ulitmate and v-power. Plus, i think that its better on the engine if you fill up with better petrol. And btw, does anyone know if its necessary to replace the engine oil on the first 5000km run in a new car?

depends on what the engines made to be run on, if the engine isn't designed to run on high octacne then it won't be able to take advantage of the benefits...the RON is just to decrease/reduces the chance of knocking or igniting under compression so it ignites at the correct time inside the chamber to create the optimum amount of power

Alvinlight
27-07-2010, 07:14 PM
My new Civic only can run 380kms , surprise me.
I thought it gonna be much more than that
I pump premium 98.

ekay1
27-07-2010, 07:18 PM
My new Civic only can run 380kms , surprise me.
I thought it gonna be much more than that
I pump premium 98.

Do you drive a civic sport btw? and do you refuel before the light comes on or after?

Willo
27-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I've been looking at a few fuel threads and I'm quite surprised actually. I drive reasonably well tempered with the occasional swift take off etc and so far I'm at 1/2 tank for 330km's and the car only has 700k's on the clock so fuel should still be a bit more than normal.

cree
27-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I always run v-power. Found it to give the best economy with the extra power/smoothness. I find vortex burns to quickly and ultimate is overpriced and inconsistent. One tank I got 600k's in my euro the next tank 520k's and I drove it the same along them same roads. But that's just from my experience

Alvinlight
28-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Do you drive a civic sport btw? and do you refuel before the light comes on or after?

Mine one is Civc Vti with 17" rims, do you think the 17" rims affect the fuel consumption?

I used to pump before the light up. is it any different, i'm a new noob:(

tinymoon
28-07-2010, 03:46 AM
I usually refuel whenever the cheapest fuel possible during a week, if not i will refuel before the light comes on. A lot people and mechanics would say it is good for engine
The width and size of rim affect the fuel consumption but not much to notice.

blasdf
29-07-2010, 04:44 PM
yeah there are all sorts of theories. usually if you always fill up when the tank is at half way you will maximise the overall fuel economy.

but if you always run to fuel light this wont be bad if you do it all the time. it's usually not recommended as people will say the tank has particles that build up and float at the top of the fuel, if you always fill it, they stay at the top, if you run it low the particles get burnt and cause damage. but i always wonder where the particles come from, and if say you have always ran to empty you must burn them before they become dangerous.

but meh, who knows.

i always run 98 octane, usually ultimate, or otherwise the mobil or caltex versions as they are near me. it is proven better to run bp ultimate than the normal 95 or 91 fuels, not sure how ultimate compares to the other companies fuel but i've never had any issues with it and done high k's

ekay1
29-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Mine one is Civc Vti with 17" rims, do you think the 17" rims affect the fuel consumption?

I used to pump before the light up. is it any different, i'm a new noob:(

I see. Are the 17'' alloy or are they steel? I think that heavier rims effect the fuel efficiency as its heavier at the wheels making it require more fuel when turning.

Good point Blasdf, never heard that one before though. Do you mix around the petrol around alot? I would assume its better to stick to the same fuel? or does it not make a difference? I used to use Mobil before switching to Bp ultimate, the first time i switched i "felt" that the engine was smoother and responded faster. Not sure if it actually made a difference or if i fell for the pseudo effect. Well im currently happy running on Ultimate, running around 400k mark per tank until the no bars left.

FDBenni
30-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Ok so today I ran the tank until it literally had no bars left, went to fill up and I was only able to fill up to 40L, it was also showing 500KM travelled on that tank.
Just a bit of info for you guys to compare with.

ekay1
30-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Ok so today I ran the tank until it literally had no bars left, went to fill up and I was only able to fill up to 40L, it was also showing 500KM travelled on that tank.
Just a bit of info for you guys to compare with.

However, the car has a 50L tank. If im doing the maths right, that means on average on a FULL tank, the car can do 625km on a full tank? Do you drive manual btw benni?

xenonkuraz
30-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Shit tank this week. Same fuel as usual, E10 but only managed 490km with 5 litres left. Usually I can get 560km with 10litres left

FDBenni
30-07-2010, 07:38 PM
However, the car has a 50L tank. If im doing the maths right, that means on average on a FULL tank, the car can do 625km on a full tank? Do you drive manual btw benni?

Yeh with a bit of maths it works out to be about 8L/100km which is not so bad, I'm just curious as to how much petrol there is left in the tank when it shows empty, it doesn't seem consistent. I'm also driving manual, mostly city driving, gets pushed from time to time.

ekay1
30-07-2010, 08:07 PM
8L/100km is pretty decent i gotta say. yeah me too, after the bars are gone, theres 10L left..... but im not sure how much there is exactly. Only if there was a more accurate measure of the fuel tank.

xenonkuraz
30-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 7 litres when the last bar disappears

ekay1
30-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Oh, is it? I always thought it was 10L. Is it 10L when the light turns on then?

09FD1
30-07-2010, 09:58 PM
hi guys,

ive driven about 10km's with no bars left and still had 6 or 8 litres left by memory. a few times when driving with zero bars left for a while 1 bar will come back on lol. filled up a full tank of vortex 98 today, see how it goes.

Willo
31-07-2010, 07:32 PM
580Klms with 2 bars left. It will take about 40 litres but I'll confirm tomorrow.

Pretty happy with fuel economy considering it's new. Don't they normally use a bit more fuel until they run in a little?

FDBenni
31-07-2010, 07:52 PM
580Km with 2 bars left is insane.. thats about 6.5l/100km, assuming you used less than 40 litres. I'd only be able to get that if it was all freeway driving lol.

tinymoon
01-08-2010, 02:10 AM
I am sure that 580km with two bars left is only achieved when freeway driving only. The best fuel consumptions for me were 620km no bar left (all city driving - Gold Coast Areas - CBD) I can actually drive with 0 bar left for more but i just do not want to take risk (or advantage of RACQ Ultimate member :-)) )(the last bar off = 600km to 620km)

Willo
02-08-2010, 02:31 PM
580Km with 2 bars left is insane.. thats about 6.5l/100km, assuming you used less than 40 litres. I'd only be able to get that if it was all freeway driving lol.

I am sure that 580km with two bars left is only achieved when freeway driving only. The best fuel consumptions for me were 620km no bar left (all city driving - Gold Coast Areas - CBD) I can actually drive with 0 bar left for more but i just do not want to take risk (or advantage of RACQ Ultimate member :-)) )(the last bar off = 600km to 620km)

Well guys here's the update. Filled up Saturday night at $1.18. Took 40.89 litres and did in total 589km's. No kidding, if required next time I'll take shots of trip computer.

That is all city commute to and from work in Melbourne CBD.

Alvinlight
02-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Well guys here's the update too.

the second tank only drove 370kms ( VTI 2010) .....With premium 98

getting lesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

ekay1
02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Man whats wrong with my fuel efficieny! >< Im reaching like basically 400k's using 43L of petrol. Is it cause i drive auto? Wonder how much more its going to decrease once i get an exhaust and CAI........

Willo
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
My car is manual

tinymoon
02-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I drive Auto FD1 VTI-L (with full tank of fuel dont know how many l, i would just fill it until the stop clicking).
Get at least 500km (Full city drving - Gold Coast - Burleigh Head (Gold Coast highway only not dring on M1) I should probably get 600 or even 650 if only drive Gold Coast - Burleigh Heads Collagata by M1 only)
You might have a hard foot :P, I stop - start withfrom 3 to 4rpm some time even 5rpm)

Alvinlight
03-08-2010, 10:10 AM
YOU stop - start withfrom 3 to 4rpm some time even 5rpm)
Wow so aggressive

for me, between 2-3 rpm

only drove 370 kms per tank Wt..........

JohnO
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
get 380 most out of my ep on shell, 350-70 on bp ult. revs over 2.5

for fd's shouldnt there be more fuel efficient?

tinymoon
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
YOU stop - start withfrom 3 to 4rpm some time even 5rpm)
Wow so aggressive

for me, between 2-3 rpm

only drove 370 kms per tank Wt..........

I do usually stop & start with at least 2.8, rpm upwards. some how just for a but fun with 5rpm.
I only use BP Ultimate whenever possible or RON 98 from Caltex due to discound card 4c/l
:DD

Willo
04-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Mine is usually 2.5 to 3.5k RPM. I think it's just reading the traffic and not accelerating heaps off the lights and then have to brake for slowing traffic or little jams..

curtis265
04-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Tank has no bars left, and fuel light is ion. Car's done 530 km. not good.

threesix
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
got 680 out of the last tank.

but about to put the SSR's back on so well see how that goes...

ekay1
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Hm.... just outta curiosity, does anyone drive without the spare tyre plus the stuff in the back? ^^

09FD1
04-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Correct me if im wrong but isnt driving without a spare tyre illegal? Why would you want to risk popping ur tyre and being stranded on the side of the road without a spare tyre to save a few kilos to save a few litres of fuel? (if thats what you were thinking). You might aswell not fill up a full tank of petrol then and always run on half a tank to save some weight, same sort of thing.

Jackee
05-08-2010, 12:53 AM
09 fd1, 40litre of petrol about 360, automatic. sigh. (e10)

br3nny
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
for me there isn't a point in carrying the spare tyre even if i pop one.....i don't keep the lock nut key in the car so i can't take the rim off there and then anyway. it would be pointless and just make it easier if someone did manage to break in they could swipe the rims at the same time...my reasoning anyway

half tank imo leaves more room for fuel to evaporate guess there are plenty of arguments

ekay1
06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I was just curious if anyone did. And in my situation as well its like Brenny's, i dont carry around my lock nut with me. Plus, 3x 17' wheels + 1 rim which is 15' would be a bit =\

Willo
08-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I just filled up because it was cheap but this time around I got 417km's for 28.6ltrs

ekay1
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
wow, willo, your car is efficient as hell!!!

Willo
10-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I was thinking I must have got a freak or something. When I started reading this thread just after buying the Civic, I thought damn, I thought the Civics were more economical than that.

Turns out I'm doing alright. I don't do anything special, I drive reasonably normal, I'm no driving Miss DAISY either.

Edit:- Just checked via online fuel consumption calc (http://motormouth.com.au/myvehicle/consumptioncalculator.aspx) I'm getting 6.86l/100 which is spot on combined fuel stats off Red Book (http://www.redbook.com.au/new-cars/details.aspx?R=558981&__Qpb=true&Cr=3&__Ns=p_Make_String|0||p_ClassificationType_String| 0||p_Family_String|0||p_Year_String|1||p_SequenceN um_Int32|0&__N=2994%202951%204294956040%204294843458%20429478 3556&silo=1301&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=12&__sid=1271EA9DB060).

So is my car anything special, I'm not convinced.

br3nny
10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
super efficient !! thats freaky......hahaha

car still running rich but after installing the raizin digital readout shows a drop in fuel consumption for the kms i've been running with it on...still goign with a bit of spirited driving

jyh888
10-08-2010, 05:28 PM
super efficient !! thats freaky......hahaha

car still running rich but after installing the raizin digital readout shows a drop in fuel consumption for the kms i've been running with it on...still goign with a bit of spirited driving

Does your car consume more fuel when it runs rich??

FDBenni
10-08-2010, 08:30 PM

yes..

jyh888
10-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I just don't quite understand this concept, often when we modify our intake for example, the air fuel ratio will be rich but we read a lower fuel consumption...any reasons?

curtis265
11-08-2010, 11:57 PM
What's more easier - sucking in air through a lollipop stick, or sucking throgh a straw?

The engine's not working as hard to make the power for u to accelerate at a given rate, so it'll use less fuel. if that makes any sense LOL

Willo
12-08-2010, 09:03 AM
yes..

I just don't quite understand this concept, often when we modify our intake for example, the air fuel ratio will be rich but we read a lower fuel consumption...any reasons?

What's more easier - sucking in air through a lollipop stick, or sucking throgh a straw?

The engine's not working as hard to make the power for u to accelerate at a given rate, so it'll use less fuel. if that makes any sense LOL

I think this needs a bit more explanation.

When a car runs "Rich" it means that the air fuel mixture is a bit heavier on the fuel side, "usually" because there is a technical fault with the engine eg:- blocked jet/injector, air filter is clogged, air sensor is reading wrong etc......

When you modify the air intake to allow faster airflow, forced air induction etc.. this doesn't make the car run rich as such, but it does pump more fuel in but the actual mixture will be as it is intended. As mentioned above, the easier it is for the car to breathe (get fuel and air into the cylinder) the easier it is to rev eg:- more power less effort. If you are serious about this, then modifying the intake without looking at how the gasses are going to escape eg:- exhaust, then probably not worth the effort unless you plan to do the exhaust when you have the cash.

onevia13
13-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Not necessarily...quality of the fuel depends on the content of hydrocarbons inside the solution and impurities...

Let me educate you a little since im studying organic chemistry =P

Octane content is important because it gives off a good amount of energy when you burn it and it forms CO2 and H2O being more stable than a long hydrocarbon chain. According to wikipedia it gives off standard enthalpy of −5430 kJ/mol in combustion. (Enthalpy = the change in energy when a reaction occurs. "-" means exothermic reaction and energy is given off, positive integers means endothermic and energy is absorbed)

Fuels that dont have as much of these nice long chains (Octane +) and have more Ethanol (E10) and thus do not give as high energy when burnt. Wikipedia suggests that Ethanol's standard enthalpy for combustion –1370.7 kJ/mol.

So from these figures you can see that 1 mol of octane gives off more energy when combusted (which is expected because octane has more carbons and more hydrogens, as well as one mol of octane is heavier than ethanol). However as it turns out i just worked out the Molar Mass of ethanol which is 46 and octane is 114.. so actually in octane you are getting 2x the amount of energy per mol combusted even when you get near equal mass amounts

Also quality of fuel takes into account less impurities such as sulfates that are usually found inside crude oil so when you talk about "Good quality fuel" such as VPower and Ultimate, they have less impurities because they have been processed that much more (more filtration, purer fractional distillation)

Therefore the "purer" the fuel, the more energy you actually obtain from the combustion because theres more hydrocarbons per drop....less impurities such as sulfates that dont give off a lot of energy when combusted. Pure ethanol also vaporises quite quickly so you may actually "lose" a little in the combustion process. (which is the fuel smell when you open your filler cap...some fuel has vaporised)

Thus in comparison your engine works like this:
I need X amount of energy to accelerate from 0 - 80km/h and with fuel with no ethanol it takes "O" amount
the same X energy for acceleration from 0 - 80km/h requires "E" amount from E10 which is a x% more than the amount "O"

So every time your car needs to get up the same hill, will need to use that much x% more E10 than O

I hope this deserves a PQ point =)

I see what your saying in regards to the comment, about the BP ultimate eating more fuel- i agree that its not entirely true, yes it may cost more than the lower grade fuels, but thats just because like you said, the purity of the 98 octane, my understanding of organic chem is that yes a more pure form of a substance/ molecule means less impurities, so that the engine should be burning the fuel more efficiently and also providing more power in each reaction/ products produced, instead of different compounds (higher concentrations of them/more) making up the ultimate mix, meaning that because it's not as pure the reaction rate for each product in the fuelis different, which i assume leads more residue forming/ left (as seen as black smoke/ carbon by most)and not efficient energy production as the engine is trying to get through more compounds than it is built to by the manufacturers (so lower grade fuels may just mean burns off faster if its a low molecular wt), so yeah higher grade petrol=higher concentrations = costs more (what did you expect for more of something), the price you have to pay for better performing cars.

ekay1
13-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I see what your saying in regards to the comment, about the BP ultimate eating more fuel- i agree that its not entirely true, yes it may cost more than the lower grade fuels, but thats just because like you said, the purity of the 98 octane, my understanding of organic chem is that yes a more pure form of a substance/ molecule means less impurities, so that the engine should be burning the fuel more efficiently and also providing more power in each reaction/ products produced, instead of different compounds (higher concentrations of them/more) making up the ultimate mix, meaning that because it's not as pure the reaction rate for each product in the fuelis different, which i assume leads more residue forming/ left (as seen as black smoke/ carbon by most)and not efficient energy production as the engine is trying to get through more compounds than it is built to by the manufacturers (so lower grade fuels may just mean burns off faster if its a low molecular wt), so yeah higher grade petrol=higher concentrations = costs more (what did you expect for more of something), the price you have to pay for better performing cars.

Good point there. I also believe that the better grade petrol you use for your car, the longer the engine will go and will generate less problems in the long run rather than using cheap petrol. Sort of like giving a human cheap food vs good quality food, the good quality is gonna satisfy and going to be better in the running. I just think of the car as a human :P

br3nny
15-08-2010, 06:24 PM
after installing the raizin and driving around for a bit.......

ekay1
15-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Wow dude, 7.9/100km is efficient as a nut!!!

threesix
16-08-2010, 08:26 AM
im only using 95 or 98. 98 all the time if i can. i find the car revs and drives smother. better for the engine too so f it.

curtis265
16-08-2010, 12:24 PM

What kind of driving do you do? This is better than my 'fuel efficient' engine

ekay1
16-08-2010, 02:16 PM

hahahah, thats for me as well ><

br3nny
17-08-2010, 10:43 AM

hahahah, thats for me as well ><

this was after a week after having the raizin installed

i reset the meter at the beginning of the weekend, normal drive around with vtec on the on ramp of the freeway :eek::D;););):eek: i guess i was being mindful at the time watching the fuel gauge as i was driving around but...its crept up to 8.1 now tho after 300kms =(

still running rich atm so i don't know if i'm really using that amount of fuel haha....love the burble but in a couple of months till flashpro so hopefully that brings or keeps it more stable after!!!!

tinymoon
19-08-2010, 05:33 PM
just calculated my fuel effciecy: 8.4l/100km for only city drive. (42L/495km refuel right after the last bar off)
Pivot Spark Earth installed.

curtis265
19-08-2010, 11:28 PM
wats that?

br3nny
20-08-2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.pivotracing.com/product/SES