PDA

View Full Version : 2001 celica zr or 2001 prelude vti-r or 2000 civic vti-r coupe?

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey guys just want opinions of what car is better out of these as one will defs be my next car.
2001 celica zr or 2001 prelude vti-r or 2000 civic vti-r coupe?
im leaning towards getting the zr coz it has like a 7600 rev limit, and puts out 140 kw :D
but i also love the vtec kick in in the h22, and the civics pre easy on fuel as far as ive heard.

im not really interested in getting an Itr as a few of my friends already have them and i want something different....

so what are ur recommendations on fastest, best handling (particularly for mountain climbs and the downhill) and overall best car out of these 3?

My fall back car is the bz-r Toyota Levin if i can find one xD

integragsi96
15-06-2010, 02:27 PM
the civics rev limit is higher than 7600....

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 02:33 PM
i kno but correct me if im wrong but isnt the civic underpowered compared to zr, and also it wieghs more than the celica but not sure...

TheSaint
15-06-2010, 03:10 PM
ZR engine (2ZZ-GE) is a fun tuner ... but so is the H22 and the B16

B16a2 = 1.6ltr
2ZZ-GE = 1.8ltr
H22 = 2.2ltr

do you want a screamer or a torque monster? each car handles completely different as well

the 2ZZ-GE respond very well to the factory TRD supercharger kit

Info on the ZR engine:
The 2ZZ-GE is a 1.8 L (1796 cc or 109.6 in³) version built in Japan. Bore is 82 mm (3.23") and the stroke is 85 mm (3.35"). It uses MFI fuel injection, has VVTL-i, and features forged steel connecting rods. Compression ratio is 11.5:1, necessitating "premium" gasoline (91 octane or above in the (R+M)/2 scale used in North America[4]). Power output for this engine varies depending on the vehicle and tuning, with the Celica, Corolla T-Sport [5][6], Lotus Elise and Lotus Exige offering 141 kW (189 hp) but the American versions of the 2003 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe versions only developing 180 hp[4] with all later years offering anywhere from 173 hp in 2004 to 164 hp in 2006 due to a recurved powerband. The differing power numbers from 2004 through 2006 are due to changes in dynamometer testing procedures. The Australian variant Corolla Sportivo is 141 kW@7600 and 181N·m Torque. Due to noise regulations, Toyota recalled them for a flash of the PCM to up their output to classify them in the more lenient "sports car" noise category. The Corolla Compressor and Lotus Exige S add a supercharger with intercooler to achieve 225 hp (168 kW), while the Exige 240R's supercharger increases output to 240 hp (179 kW). The addition of a non-intercooled supercharger to the Elise SC produces 218 hp (163 kW) with a considerable weight saving. The supercharged engines are not labeled 2ZZ-GZE.

Unique to the ZZ family, the 2ZZ-GE utilizes a dual camshaft profile system (the "L" in VVTL-i, known by enthusiasts as "lift") to produce the added power without an increase in displacement or forced induction. The 2ZZ-GE was the first production engine to combine cam-phasing variable valve timing with dual-profile variable valve timing in the American market. The table below lists the specifications of the two camshaft profiles. This is similar in concept to Honda's i-VTEC, but the two systems are very different in design and execution.

Info on the H22:
The Honda H engine was Honda's high-performance engine family from the 1990s and early 2000s. It is largely derived from the Honda F engine with which it shares many design features. Like Honda's other 4-cylinder families of the 80s and 90s, it was replaced by the Honda K engine. The prim]. It has also enjoyed some success as a racing engine, forming the basis of Honda's Touring car racing engines for many years, and being installed in lightweight chassis (such as the Honda CRX) for use in drag racing. The F20B, though technically coded part of the F-series family of engines, was basically a destroked version of the H22A. It was developed for Honda to be able to enter into the 2-liter class in racing.

Info on the B16a2:
The B-series Honda Inline (I4) DOHC (Dual Overhead Cam) engines are popular automotive engines from the modern series of Honda engines. From the factory they produce between 156 horsepower (116 kW) to around 200 horsepower (150 kW), with even some models having a redline over 8,000 rpm. The engine has been made in 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0 liter variants, with and without VTEC (Variable valve Timing and Electronic lift Control). Later models have some minor upgrades, for instance modifications to the intake valves and ports and piston tops, along with individual cylinder oil injectors (B18C models).

other than that you will be deciding on looks

TheSaint
15-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Celica ZR / Toyota Sportivo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHkG9I3hRdI&feature=fvw

Prelude VTIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxr9BZkC5yI

EM1 Civic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5I-dGJSW2E

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 03:20 PM
the zr is also a 6 speed not sure about the others... but the two hondas ive driven the accord euro and 2000 accord, both have some long gears.... bit of a put off... i know 2nd gear in the euro is way too big... but still uncertain about the handling capabilities in these cars.
but thanks for the input TheSaint

fromdeeeast
15-06-2010, 03:42 PM
zr and sx celica are the same mechanically wise. Some info so if you come to buy for pricing just so u know.

But all are on par, celica is probably the nicest out of all with the 6sp n yer, id get a corolla sportivo tho, looks cleaner tbh , its the same as the celica

All depends on personal preference

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 03:50 PM
mmm sportivo's nice but i know first hand that that chassis of corola has alot of body roll when cornering fast... not sure if the celica has a similar problem but id assume as its lower than the carola it has a better centre of gravity.... either way id chuck an after market rear sway bar on...

TheSaint
15-06-2010, 03:59 PM
the gearbox in the civic and prelude will be alot closer than that of a euro

TheSaint
15-06-2010, 04:00 PM
i would test drive them all and see how you like the look/feel of them

its going to be a close match at the end of the day

you might find the civic to be a little small/underpowered compared to the other 2 ... but it will probably handle better and be lighter tho ... so yea lol

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 04:32 PM
hmmm yes i will have to do that ay

V73C
15-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Go the celica, its not a bad car at all. Wheel spin 1st to 2nd Quite easy too. And if people tell you all this crap about dropping out of lift while shifting gears blah blah blah. Dont worry, its not hat bad.

JohnO
15-06-2010, 05:24 PM
why dont you get a ep3r, high rev limit to your likings and puts out 158kw. theres afew cheap ones in the f/s section id hit up for 22k and some mods is pretty much a good deal.

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 06:12 PM
why dont you get a ep3r, high rev limit to your likings and puts out 158kw. theres afew cheap ones in the f/s section id hit up for 22k and some mods is pretty much a good deal.
Not planing on spending that much... ill probs spend a good 16 - 17k for the car then around 5- 8k on my mods but thats later. so ep3 is a bit outa my prices range

white_ep3_civic
15-06-2010, 07:32 PM
EP3 FTW lol. Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't the EM1 have a tighter chassis compared too the Celica or the prelude? Which would make it more fun for the mountain climbs? Just out of curiosity where abouts do you do mountain runs?

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 07:41 PM
EP3 FTW lol. Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't the EM1 have a tighter chassis compared too the Celica or the prelude? Which would make it more fun for the mountain climbs? Just out of curiosity where abouts do you do mountain runs?

so far the most fun is mt dande as long as u dont hit traffic... fkn ruins it... and if ur crazy hit up Arthur's seat at mornington best drive but cant do it in my euro.... body roll kills me :( nxt time ill take the liberty should be more fun.

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 07:42 PM
and EM1 wuld be better but doesnt have enough power so id be killed on the ride up LOL

quangsuke
15-06-2010, 07:47 PM
so far the most fun is mt dande as long as u dont hit traffic... fkn ruins it... and if ur crazy hit up Arthur's seat at mornington best drive but cant do it in my euro.... body roll kills me :( nxt time ill take the liberty should be more fun.

arthurs seat is a good mountain pass. very short though.

note not recommended for people that have super low cars. u will scrap taking the inside on pin turns. they are very steep.

i would recommend u getting the celica. a tad different from the ordinary civics and prelude.
but mountain pass, ur best off getting a type r. higher revs and less body roll. save ur money by not needing to modify suspension as much. =D

V73C
15-06-2010, 07:55 PM
The 2ZZ revs up to 8300 not 7600

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 07:57 PM
bahahah ye i knew it was something kinda high its peak powers at 7600 isnt it? mint car

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 07:59 PM
arthurs seat is a good mountain pass. very short though.

note not recommended for people that have super low cars. u will scrap taking the inside on pin turns. they are very steep.

i would recommend u getting the celica. a tad different from the ordinary civics and prelude.
but mountain pass, ur best off getting a type r. higher revs and less body roll. save ur money by not needing to modify suspension as much. =D

dnt want an integra as i mentioned and cant realy afford a civic type r... thats why i thought a celica would be good or if i dont like them i wouldn't mind the bz-r Levin coz it looks pretty sweet too and goes alright

iLlusion10
15-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Looking at replacing the euro? I agree with the bodyroll thing, although the whiteline swaybar has made a worlds amount of improvement to reduce the roll. Have you tried rear swaybar + coilovers?

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 08:14 PM
i was thinking of getting one as ive been told the rear sway bar is the most substantial mod that can be made to a euro but i dnt c any point in getting one now coz i wana get rid of the car... petrols killing me D:

iLlusion10
15-06-2010, 10:17 PM
i was thinking of getting one as ive been told the rear sway bar is the most substantial mod that can be made to a euro but i dnt c any point in getting one now coz i wana get rid of the car... petrols killing me D:

huh, the petrol usage on a euro is extremely good =S? I've got an auto and i'm getting 550-600kms out of a tank with normal driving + vtec every so often.

Mugen_Euro
15-06-2010, 11:05 PM
huh, the petrol usage on a euro is extremely good =S? I've got an auto and i'm getting 550-600kms out of a tank with normal driving + vtec every so often.
haha yer every1 has a good euro... well mines retarded coz im lucky to get 300 outa a tank... and im shifting around 2.5k to 3k... bearly rev higher... ive made another post about this problem... it happened after i got my CAI installed, but it wasnt too flash before then either when i just had a pod filter...
so yes petrol is killing me atm :(

mnc
16-06-2010, 01:20 AM
have you've sat inside the celica before? to be honest.. im a small asian and i find that car very squishy and annoying.

TheSaint
16-06-2010, 02:23 AM
hrm ... the facelift rolla s'tivo is rather comfy - i hate the new ones tho ... stupid long dash with short engine bay and really stupid shifter position

cheapdouchebag
16-06-2010, 02:33 AM
hrm ... the facelift rolla s'tivo is rather comfy - i hate the new ones tho ... stupid long dash with short engine bay and really stupid shifter position

naw dont nock the newones! i remember when i first started driving stick
none of my immediate family have a stickshift car
so me old man rented one from hertz for me to drive around the whole day in it.
i loved it man!
so many cupholders ^^
i rckn the position of the gearstick was brilliant!
couldnt say the same about the handbrake thoe, i like handbraking when im on a slope, and belive me
my left arm got tired from rippin n letting go of the handbrake during every launch when it was needed

when the handbrake was up, it was pretty much 90 degrees to where i was sitting (maybe take a few degrees off)

Mugen_Euro
16-06-2010, 11:41 AM
wellive sat inside a celica before but not in a while an im about 6ft 2-3" .... but then i could squeeze into an mx5 but my knees were hitting the steering wheel LOL... on that note the new civics are FKN tiny tooo i could barely fit in my mates one seat doesn't move back very far Zzzzzzzzz

Moey.C
19-06-2010, 05:04 PM
my sisters got a 01 celica zr.. she loves it... i love it... its a good car n kicks hard at 6500 i think... i was thinking bout a prelude vtir too seemed alright looks go bla bla bla... tbh by reading what uv written u seem like uv already made up ur mind bout the zr? u like them dont ya haha

jeffreymui
19-06-2010, 05:12 PM
for 16-17k, why not a 05 facelift rolla sportivo?

EG5VTI
19-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't get a Celica. I have a couple mates who are mechanics for Toyota. They say to steer well clear of them. Just a thought.

DC2-PWR
19-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Don't get a Celica. I have a couple mates who are mechanics for Toyota. They say to steer well clear of them. Just a thought.

Any mechanic can say anything about anycar like anyone else (they could be haters??)... So, what was your mechanics reason?

To OP, I'd prefer the toyota as there reliability is worth it. Make sure the car has a good history, if not the toyota then go the EK civic. Good cars, good on fuel and power with right mods.

AE092
19-06-2010, 11:43 PM
From a track racers' point of view, the Celica is a very capable car around Winton. Depending on driver - it'll cut a sub 1.50 lap time with a few mods on road tyres.

EG5VTI
20-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Any mechanic can say anything about anycar like anyone else (they could be haters??)... So, what was your mechanics reason?

To OP, I'd prefer the toyota as there reliability is worth it. Make sure the car has a good history, if not the oyota then go the EK civic. Good cars, good on fuel and power with right mods.

I think Toyota's are a really reliable car. I have just heard some horror stories about the Celica's. Mainly to do with the engines going out the door. But yeah just have to make sure the car has a good history, but I agree with the Ek's. Good little cars with the right mod's.

androo
20-06-2010, 11:39 AM
for 16-17k, why not a 05 facelift rolla sportivo?
Looks I guess!

Yeh a mate of mine (well an annoying ass guy I used to work with) boasted about his Celica SX all day, everyday and how it'd smash my Integra, destroyed his mates XR8, etc. etc.... Up until the engine started leaking oil and making some nasty ass sounds...

V73C
20-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Just get the celica. Lotus wouldn't pick this engine if it was shit.

anfo2gig
20-06-2010, 06:49 PM
It seem OP want the celica. So i reakon test drive all car and see which one you like better :)

Mugen_Euro
20-06-2010, 07:49 PM
lol guys thanks for the imput i think it shall be celica dpending on how i feel when i drive it... my main concern is that i will not fit comfortably in the front seat D: im 6"2 lolol :(

minircc
20-06-2010, 08:02 PM
get the celica. seems like your mind is set already.
many people say the celia looks like a grasshopper.. lol

i have seen a few lowered with big rims and they look pretty nice.

androo
21-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I love the look of the Celica =D

cheapdouchebag
21-06-2010, 01:26 AM
i love the 5th gen sx models. eg sohc vtecs can rip em apart. not bad for a 1.5/1.6L compared to 5sfe 2.2L haha

Mugen_Euro
21-06-2010, 02:09 PM
i love the 5th gen sx models. eg sohc vtecs can rip em apart. not bad for a 1.5/1.6L compared to 5sfe 2.2L haha

LOL im not interested in the 5th gen camry engine hahah im aaffetr a 7th gen 2zzge engine bro stock vs stock a sohc 1.6l eg has no chance sadly... although it wouldn't surprise me if i end up getting one :D as they're a fun car to play with