PDA

View Full Version : Engine fan FD2

FDPete
16-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Guys can anyone advise if its normal for the fan to come almost immediately when you start the car cold? Also i notice, even in cold weather even when the engine has warmed up, if the car is idling the fans cuts in and out every minute or so. I would have thought that you could expect this in really warm conditions but not during a Melbourne winter!!

Did a search of the forum couldn't find anything

FDBenni
16-06-2010, 01:58 PM
are you sure its the fan and not the air con?

FDPete
16-06-2010, 02:06 PM
pretty sure its the fan, dont use aircon in winter!! although the heater is on most of the time. also i have tested it making sure the window demist is not selected on the climate control as this engages the aircon..so def the fan!!

Stig
16-06-2010, 02:25 PM
do you turn on the heater straight away when you turn on the car? and when you do, do you notice the fan turning on?

FDPete
16-06-2010, 02:27 PM
do you turn on the heater straight away when you turn on the car? and when you do, do you notice the fan turning on?

in the mornings i do..when i leave work i will start the car without any heater ect, let it idle and see if it still does it..but i am pretty sure it does it regardless if heater in on or off

fitme
16-06-2010, 02:38 PM
its normal mate..

xenonkuraz
16-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah I notice it too...I think its normal

aaronng
16-06-2010, 05:48 PM
pretty sure its the fan, dont use aircon in winter!! although the heater is on most of the time. also i have tested it making sure the window demist is not selected on the climate control as this engages the aircon..so def the fan!!

When you use the heater, the aircon compressor also runs so that moisture is removed from the air before it is heated. That is how climate control works. The fan that you see spinning is the aircon fan. If you turn off your climate control totally (fan speed zero), then the fan will stop turning on.

xenonkuraz
16-06-2010, 06:25 PM
So even though you're not using the aircon, you're using the aircon?

lol :D

aaronng
16-06-2010, 06:33 PM
So even though you're not using the aircon, you're using the aircon?

lol :D

LOL, yeah, that's essentially it. The only way is to press the A/C button so that the aircon compressor does not turn on. However, you will notice that the air starts to feel stuffy after a few minutes.

xenonkuraz
16-06-2010, 07:12 PM
oh right now I understand why there is an 'A/C off'. Thanks

FDBenni
16-06-2010, 07:29 PM
yeh by default the climate control will always use the air con, you have to actually select air con off to switch it off.

xenonkuraz
16-06-2010, 08:06 PM
hrmm lets see how my fuel economy goes from now on...

FDPete
17-06-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks guys...may explain my fuel consumption as well!!! will test on the way hoem tonight..climate control completely off!!

FDPete
21-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Its definetly the aircon fan!! Using the heater now with aircon set at off on climate control..fan has stopped kicking in and out..
Thanks guys you were all very helpfull..also keeping an eye on my fuel consumption now as i am not driving around 90% of the time with the aircon running!