PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start, battery or immboliser

duzy
18-06-2010, 11:46 AM
alright so i've only driven the car once a week or so, and it regualry sits in the garage doing nothing. its got 1/4 petrol tank left, and was running fine last week.

i fixed my central locking the other day as it was playing up.

neway tried to start the car yesterday and all it does is make a click. is it a dead battery or is it the immobiliser? when the car is ON (II) the green flashes slowly for a few seconds and then goes off.. then i START but nothing, can only hear clicks, i kept doing this yesterday and about 2 out of the 10 times the engine would sound like it was about to start but just die. like a 1/2 second crank.

car is a dc2r

espionage85
18-06-2010, 11:52 AM
dead battery

duzy
18-06-2010, 11:54 AM
alright wheres the best location to attatch the negative jumper cable to, as i don't have the grounding wire from the motor to the frame, as i've got the BC condensor thingo that does the grounding i believe. just attach it to any part of the frame?

espionage85
18-06-2010, 12:04 PM
dude dude dude, dont kill yourself..

the black cable on the neg terminal (minus symbol)
the red cable on the poss terminal (plus symbol)

make sure they have rubber insulation on the handles of the jumper leads, dont want you to fry yourself dude

string
18-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Get a battery charger next time Supercheap have them on sale.

duzy
18-06-2010, 12:21 PM
huh? i mean like, so the positive from the booster battery goes to my positive, and the negative from the booster goes where on mine? arnt u supposed to ground the negative?

espionage85
18-06-2010, 12:25 PM
nope, goes to your neg

string
18-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Negative from the "booster battery" goes to the negative terminal on your car battery.

duzy
18-06-2010, 12:29 PM
oh so positive goes to positive and neg goes to neg? ok ok, just says something different in the owners manual thats all

espionage85
18-06-2010, 12:30 PM
yep thats right,
please make sure the handles are insulated so you dont fry yourself..
dont cross the wires

minircc
20-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Jump Starting Procedure

1) With all precautions checked, connect the red coloured jumper lead to the (+) positive terminal of the booster battery and the other end of the red jumper lead to the (+) positive terminal of the flat battery.

2) Connect the black jumper lead to the (-) negative terminal of the booster battery and the other end of the black jumper lead to a good earth point on the disabled vehicle. (The engine block is typically the best place for a good earth point).

3) Start the engine of the disabled vehicle and with the engine speed at idle, disconnect the jumper leads in the reverse order of connection.

4) The car has now been started and after any caps and covers have been replaced it is ready to be driven. The cause of the flat battery should be identified and rectified as soon as possible.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/diy-help/jump-starting-your-car.aspx

Lukey
20-06-2010, 08:17 PM
why do you suggest hooking up the - of the jump pack to the block and not to the - of the battery?

curtis265
20-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I have a question. Saw this i my manual once.

It tells me that you clamp the negative lead to a grounding point on the chassis. What difference does this make to connecting the neg. lead to the battery's neg terminal?

quangsuke
21-06-2010, 01:42 AM
^ not too sure but it seems to me it jumps starts better.
last time i did negative to negative car wouldn't start.

negative to ground it started.
would love to hear the reason for this though.