PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good engine oil to use for my 99 EK1 civic?????

Dazza_19
18-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi guys,

i just want to find out what a good engine oil to use when i service my car very soon.

At the moment i'm using Valvoline Engine Amour 15w-40.

any suggestions will be greatful guys.

cheers =]

Snoop_gee
18-06-2010, 04:28 PM
how many Km's has it done ?!?!

Dazza_19
18-06-2010, 04:31 PM
180,000kms mate

Mikecivic78
18-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Honda FEO 10w30 is fine and well priced. Most people on OH will agree with me.

I'm using Nulon "fully synthetic" 10w40 on my 1999 Civic coupe. It's well priced and a little better than FEO imo. However, FEO is fine.

15w40 is not the correct viscosity for ur Civic. Use a 10w oil.

aznalex
19-06-2010, 08:37 PM
boy have i seen like 100 people post this question.

you have to check the health of your engine.

if its all worn and shit, burning oil every month, you might want to use a thicker oil. or get whaetever is wrong fixed, and use 10w-40 oil

if its not losing any oil and you dont see yourself topping engine oil very frequently, then go with any 10w-40
alot of people seem to like HONDA FEO 10w-40 which can supposedly be purchased at Official Honda Dealers for $30-40 AUD.

few people use 10w-40 castrol magnatec but say it has to be changed frequently (every 5000kms - 7000kms max) due to the high ash content this thing produces.
to save you a few bucks, repco 10w-40 branded oil is the same as castrol magnatec 10w-40, they buy the same oil from wherever its made from.

TheSaint
19-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Honda FEO 10w30 here

engine has done 300k kms ++ and runs nice =)

im thinking of changing to castrol edge or valvaline ... but i havnt done any research yet

SiR Vtec
20-06-2010, 12:02 AM
correct me if im wrong, im actualy quite confused about this but shudnt u use oil thats atleast 20w if ur car is over 100 000km's???

aznalex
20-06-2010, 12:46 AM
SiR Vtec, pls take proper care of your engine lol

thicker oil wont do your engine any good. swap it out ASAP!
all our hondas should be running on 10w-40 as a standard.

read the post i posted before this.. it basically answers your question

you may have gone to an old style mechanic to get your car serviced
and in the old days, engines werent built to such quality honda now offers.
this means engines built way back then get worn faster than newer built engines.

you usually start to use thicker oil when your engine is old and shit.
200,000km mark u may want to use thicker oil. (but u gotta check if ur car is burning oil)
but if you take real good care of your engine and change regularly, you can still use 10w-40.

read what TheSaint had to say in his post..! well i assume he takes good care of his engine =)

TheSaint
20-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda FEO is 10w30 ... not ... 10w40

but agreed ... if the car is burning up oil use a slightly thicker oil ... but if it runs fine than keep using 10w30

i do thrash my car and it has done almost 310 000 kms ...
but i also love it ... so before and after i drive it i check it over and keep a good check on oil lvl, temp and pressure and coolant temp and lvl

aaronng
20-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi guys,

i just want to find out what a good engine oil to use when i service my car very soon.

At the moment i'm using Valvoline Engine Amour 15w-40.

any suggestions will be greatful guys.

cheers =]
Are you happy with Valvoline 15w-40? If you are, you can stick with the same or try a 10w-40 version of it.

aaronng
20-06-2010, 04:43 PM
SiR Vtec, pls take proper care of your engine lol

thicker oil wont do your engine any good. swap it out ASAP!
all our hondas should be running on 10w-40 as a standard.

No they don't. Hondas are specified to run 10w-30 engine oil here in Australia. In the US, they are specified for 0w-20.

aznalex
21-06-2010, 12:56 PM
ohk, cool bananas

but u guys should know that in summer you might want to use 10w-40
as ambient temperatures can go up to 40 degrees or more

if you cant be bothered constantly changing between 10w-40 in summer and 10w-30 for all other seasons.
i would assume 10w-40 to be a standard you can constantly buy etc...

mugen_ctr
21-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Don't run castrol edge, its a load of crap!, the oil only last bout 3500kms before it went sour!, its not a real synthetic based oil, researched it, i since than switched to Valvoline syn power 5w-30.... yea its a thinner oil, and fully synthetic, but certainly helped iron some minor gremlins when i bought the car...

When i had castrol edge, the first couple thousands kms was great, car sounded more quieter, an run better, bout 3000kms into running the oil, things started getting worse, the car felt more sluggish, and on start up, car was more louder, idled abit higher than usual....

SiR Vtec
21-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Shit lol cars been runin on 20w for almost 5000km, im guna service it next week tho. So my b16a2 with 140 000km should be using 10-30w? any1 know roughly how much to put in? any specific gud brands?

aaronng
21-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Don't run castrol edge, its a load of crap!, the oil only last bout 3500kms before it went sour!, its not a real synthetic based oil, researched it, i since than switched to Valvoline syn power 5w-30.... yea its a thinner oil, and fully synthetic, but certainly helped iron some minor gremlins when i bought the car...

When i had castrol edge, the first couple thousands kms was great, car sounded more quieter, an run better, bout 3000kms into running the oil, things started getting worse, the car felt more sluggish, and on start up, car was more louder, idled abit higher than usual....

Oil does not turn sour. Which castrol edge did you use? The 5w-30 or the 0w-40? Was it the correct viscosity for your engine?

Castrol Edge 5w-30 is a Group III hydrocracked synthetic. It is not the same as the more expensive Group IV PAO synthetic. If you read all the threads around here, you would know why it was cheaper than the other brands. The Edge 0w-40 is a Group IV, which is a "true" synthetic.

Oh, and the Valvoline Synpower series also uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV. So by your definition, it is also not a true synthetic. ;) (http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/)

mugen_ctr
22-06-2010, 01:48 AM
wrong wording, lol, what i mean was that, the oil basically went really dark brown, almost black afterwards that period of time, and therefore left my engine in a state that was worse than previous.... viscosity was 5w-30, as i said previously, about the viscosity i run, it did help iron out some previous problems when i bought the car, hence why i resorted to running 5w-30....

well u learn something new everyday, lol, but hey its doin its job better than castrol, so i cant really complain about it

aaronng
22-06-2010, 08:20 AM
wrong wording, lol, what i mean was that, the oil basically went really dark brown, almost black afterwards that period of time, and therefore left my engine in a state that was worse than previous.... viscosity was 5w-30, as i said previously, about the viscosity i run, it did help iron out some previous problems when i bought the car, hence why i resorted to running 5w-30....

well u learn something new everyday, lol, but hey its doin its job better than castrol, so i cant really complain about it
Actually, turning black is GOOD! One of the purpose of the oil is to clean carbon deposits off the cylinder walls and that is what causes it to turn black. If I had an oil that never turned black, I would not use it. Even when the engine oil is dark in colour, the engine shouldn't run any rougher.

mugen_ctr
22-06-2010, 11:07 AM
true, i still think its a bad oil, as people say, you do pay for what you get for, as far as i'm aware, there have been tests conducted, castrol pitted against motul etc... it did come out with one of the higher power output on a dyno, but even so, dyno is only one form of a test, the real test is the real world....

aaronng
22-06-2010, 12:13 PM
true, i still think its a bad oil, as people say, you do pay for what you get for, as far as i'm aware, there have been tests conducted, castrol pitted against motul etc... it did come out with one of the higher power output on a dyno, but even so, dyno is only one form of a test, the real test is the real world....
Oh yes, Edge 5w-30 is a cheap oil. It is no match against the likes of Motul or Mobil 1. But when compared to other oils in the same price range, it has one of the best value for money.

And a dyno is not the correct test for an engine oil. Engine oils are meant to protect the engine, not to provide more power. If you wanted more power, all the car needs is a thinner oil. My car is the a real world test. I've used Honda FEO, Castrol Magnatec 10w-40, Castrol Edge 5w-30, Edge 0w-40, Motul 8100 5w-40, Elf Excellium GP 5w-30, Excellium GP 5w-40 and in a pinch, even Mobil Synth S (2000) 10w-40. They all protect well. The only one that I was disappointed in was the Magnatec 10w-40, which had the engine turn rougher about 3/4 of the way through to the next service schedule without exceeding the kms or duration. I tested it twice (so I ran Magnatec for 12 months) and the same thing happened the 2nd time too.

VOLK
22-06-2010, 12:32 PM
If you want the best, try Amsoil 10w-30. Similar money to Mobil 1 and outperforms everything. I run 0w-30 in my Legnum VR4 and it's fantastic.

WA-EG
23-06-2010, 07:31 PM
The question I have, I know people say roughly 5000km for a service. But what happens if you like me and have owned the car for 18months and have just cracked the 3000km mark......... how often should I be servicing???

SiR Vtec
23-06-2010, 07:56 PM
personally if i drove my car that rarely id prolly do it every 6months or so jus to have peace of mind that the cars running at its best.

and if any1 could ansa my last question plz. So my b16a2 with 140 000km should be using 10-30w? any1 know roughly how much to put in? any specific gud brands?

dorikin
24-06-2010, 09:26 AM
What would you suggest (brand and viscosity) for my honda engine thats done 250,000kms and burns oil monthly (need to top it up abit each month)

Currently using the OEM Honda oil which I think is 10w-30. Should I get something around 15w-40?

TheSaint
25-06-2010, 01:02 AM
personally if i drove my car that rarely id prolly do it every 6months or so jus to have peace of mind that the cars running at its best.

and if any1 could ansa my last question plz. So my b16a2 with 140 000km should be using 10-30w? any1 know roughly how much to put in? any specific gud brands?

use Honda FEO 10w30 ... your engine still has low kms on it - the amount to put in is in the cars service book in your glove box

What would you suggest (brand and viscosity) for my honda engine thats done 250,000kms and burns oil monthly (need to top it up abit each month)

Currently using the OEM Honda oil which I think is 10w-30. Should I get something around 15w-40?

depends on how bad its burning oil and what engine it is ... my D15b7 has 310 000 kms on it and it still runs sweet with Honda FEO 10w30 (occasionally it dips down and i just top it up again) ... u might wanna move up to something a bit heavier if its a carby/thrashed/dodgey engine tho

The question I have, I know people say roughly 5000km for a service. But what happens if you like me and have owned the car for 18months and have just cracked the 3000km mark......... how often should I be servicing???

i service a car as soon as i buy it no matter what ... than service the car every 10 000 kms or every 6 months just to be sure

cheapdouchebag
25-06-2010, 03:00 AM
my jdm d15b is doin my head in, chews up castrol edge 5w-40 like a bottle every 1-2 months and ive driven ony about 1k-2k km's in that time period.

id go with castrol magnatec from now on, 10w-40.
i need oil to last now -.-.

so i think you should try magnatec with me hehe. so we get both our opinions combined together.

oh yeah, im running on less that minimum oil now. it kills me to drive with less than the least oil required, but i need the wheels to get me places.
gotta love d-series, them shit can take so much stress from us!

aaronng
25-06-2010, 08:42 AM
my jdm d15b is doin my head in, chews up castrol edge 5w-40 like a bottle every 1-2 months and ive driven ony about 1k-2k km's in that time period.

so i think you should try magnatec with me hehe. so we get both our opinions combined together.

oh yeah, im running on less that minimum oil now. it kills me to drive with less than the least oil required, but i need the wheels to get me places.

Your PCV valve has failed or you have a huge leak somewhere. Put a piece of cardboard under your engine and observe for drips overnight.

dorikin
25-06-2010, 09:08 AM

I'm in the same boat with my D16a8. Need to top it up around 200ml or so per month. It does leak abit of oil under the car but it burns more oil than it leaks.
I just bought some Castrol GTX2 from Supercheap yesterday, alot thicker than Honda FEO so I'll service it on the weekend and let you know how it goes..

TheSaint
25-06-2010, 09:44 AM
if mine dips below full it will burn all of it down to min oil

but if it stays at full it will stay like that for months

juss gota check it all the time =)

SiR Vtec
25-06-2010, 01:21 PM
roughly how much does honda feo oil cost? is the best place to buy it frm honda servicing department or what?

Alvis
25-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Just gave Honda (Wollongong) a call and they just told me they service all their Honda's (Civic or not) with 10w-40.

They quoted me $14.83 per litre!

They don't sell a 5 litre bottle or anything like that - you basically have to bring your own bottle down (they buy in bulk - don't know if other places are different), they fill it up and charge you by the litre

Alvis
25-06-2010, 01:40 PM
ALSO, have you guys seen the ads on TV for Hi-Tec oils? They say it's a premium based oil, owned and made in Australia.... never heard of it....?

TheSaint
25-06-2010, 01:44 PM
i get it in the 5ltr container for about $30.00 a bottle ... but i made freinds with the local parts manager so he looks after me

its 10w30 by the way

either way i dont try and save a few bucks here and there wen it comes to stuff like this ... its not worth it

http://www.honda.com.au/assets/img_service-and-parts02.jpg

Alvis
25-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks Saint ... that sounds a bit more like it - never heard of bringing your bottle down to fill up...good way to make money for them tho!

And the only other conclusion I can come to is either Honda Wollongong isn't using FEO oil if the viscoity is different, or the person I spoke to didn't know what they were talking about (always possible in Wollongong lol). But yep, best to go and speak to the Service Manager - i'll head down tomorrow and see what I can find out...

And I don't know if I'm making this up - but did the earlier Civic's (ie below 2000) use a 10w-30 and the newer ones a 10w-40?

aaronng
25-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Just gave Honda (Wollongong) a call and they just told me they service all their Honda's (Civic or not) with 10w-40.

They quoted me $14.83 per litre!

They don't sell a 5 litre bottle or anything like that - you basically have to bring your own bottle down (they buy in bulk - don't know if other places are different), they fill it up and charge you by the litre
That's probably Magnatec 10w-40. Not FEO. FEO only comes in 10w-30 in Australia.

aaronng
25-06-2010, 02:29 PM
And I don't know if I'm making this up - but did the earlier Civic's (ie below 2000) use a 10w-30 and the newer ones a 10w-40?
No, all of them, new and old use 10w-30. The only odd one out is the Insight which uses 0w-20. Maybe the Civic Hybrid uses 0w-20 as well, not 100% sure.

Alvis
25-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks aaronng - obviously person didn't what they were talking about... who would have thought they actually worked at a Honda dealership!

Cheers mate :)

TheSaint
25-06-2010, 02:48 PM
yeah some ppl are just facepalm lol

VT3C
25-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda FEO 10w30 here

engine has done 300k kms ++ and runs nice =)

im thinking of changing to castrol edge or valvaline ... but i havnt done any research yet

high kms dont necesarilly mean your motor is on the way out.. but in a SOHC I think Castrol edge would be a bit too runny and you'll burn through it pretty fast.. having said that I am using it on my B16 which has about 235,000kms on the clock (prob only 150-200,000 on the B16) and it's not using a drop... but this is fully synthetic and I change my oil every 2-4,000kms.

I used to use the Valvoline Eco (something).. was in a metallic Blue bottle and is a synthetic blend.. i found this to be a good compromise between performance and prottection.. lasted about 6,000kms before I would change it.

aaronng
25-06-2010, 04:58 PM
high kms dont necesarilly mean your motor is on the way out.. but in a SOHC I think Castrol edge would be a bit too runny and you'll burn through it pretty fast..
Being SOHC or DOHC does not decide if an oil is suitable for it. I can think of SOHC engines that need thinner oil compared to DOHC engines.

cheapdouchebag
25-06-2010, 07:17 PM
i park my car on green grass every day on the same spot.
so i highly doubt theres any huge oil leak, i havent got any leaking spots at all underneath the car.
PCV valve - hmmmmmmmmm ill have a go at that

Mikecivic78
25-06-2010, 10:17 PM
i park my car on green grass every day on the same spot.
so i highly doubt theres any huge oil leak, i havent got any leaking spots at all underneath the car.
PCV valve - hmmmmmmmmm ill have a go at that

Do u know where the PCV is? Take it out and clean it with carby cleaner. If it still doesn't work well (do the squeeze test), then replace it.

But I'm alarmed at the amount of oil ur car is consuming. Do a compression test, i'd be interested at the result.