PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest solution - white smoke when vtec?

D16
19-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Hi,
I have a D16Y1 atm with about 200, 000KMs (could be more)

But apparently now when i vtec it, white smoke comes out instead of black(was told it used to be black only)

Not sure if its rings? valves? or bad compression? Any idea how much a compression test would be? and the cost to fix the compression?

Many Thanks

UPDATE: SIGH the radiator is leaking U_U but i doubt its that?

dougie_504
19-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Just a note, this has been covered numerous times previously and I searched the forums - the previous threads are easily found and identified.

White smoke means possibly head gasket, water in exhaust.
Black means you're running rich, too much petrol.
Blue means rings are probably stuffed, oil.

Some smoke on VTEC is common, though it should be more grey (some VTEC richness).

So you'll have to get a quote for a head gasket change I think. Do a compression test if you want.

D16
19-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for that, I did some search. Hopefully its not the headgasket, Ive started up the car without the radiator cap and it doesnt bubble, until i turn OFF the car. So I hope my gaskets are OKAY for the moment as I dont want to spend a fortune fixing such an old engine.

Hopefully compression test doesnt cost too much, but ill give it a try. Ill prob order a new radiator too.

Thanks

hitoriko
19-06-2010, 02:45 PM
d16 - when you change your rad piss off the spring clamps and get Some screw type, best bet your top rad hose is leaking beacuse the top rad outlet is all cracked because its plastic crap!
i suggest getting an ally rad with alloy end tanks so you NEVER have to worry again (thats what i did)

dougie_504
19-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah I've had to replace the top section of my D16Y1 radiator already. Cost a few hundred...

D16
19-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks but how much is a few hundred lol? I dont really want to spend more than $200 including labout

I found a complete new radiator on ebay for around $100-200 with 2 year warranty

1. Plastic/Alloy - looks like OEM design ($100) 2yr warranty
2. Full Aluminum ($130) 1yr warranty
3. Full Alloy ($250) lifetime warranty

When i had a closer look, it seems like my radiator top is starting to crack and leak. So i think its the same problem as you dougie_504.
Im leaning towards the full aluminum cos it looks pretty decent.

hitoriko
19-06-2010, 04:30 PM
look at my build threard theres pics of mine

a musimoto or something

dougie_504
19-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Mishimoto. Might need to make adjustments for fan?

Anyhow, I don't think changing a radiator is that hard. This is something I paid for back when I had considerably less interest in cars than I do now. These days I'd just do it myself.

@OP: Keep checking your oil, maybe every day. Make sure it doesn't become a 'milkshake' colour, which indicates water in the oil. Change the oil frequently if you have to. Otherwise, just get the headgasket changed asap.

~Sp33~
21-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Fix the leak and see how much water you're losing. If it's none then the white smoke could just be condensation (it's been cold as in brisbane recently), or if it's a small amount just keep driving it and topping it up when you need to.

D16
21-06-2010, 05:51 PM
true, thanks for the advice guys. Ive checked it everyday for the past few days, the leak doesnt seem too bad.

The radiator has coolant around it, but its not dripping bad. So its good enough to for the time being, until my new radiator arrives.

grifty
21-06-2010, 11:11 PM
replace it asap otherwise you will be replacing the headgasket aswell

NZ_EK9
24-06-2010, 01:45 PM
White smoke could also be an indication of leaning out (not enough fuel)/overheating. After a drive at WOT, pull your spark plugs out and compare to - http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm