PDA

View Full Version : D16Y4 Turbo kit ( i understand this has been brought up abit)

ek lover
19-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Guys,

im new to the Car Modifing scene and have been out of the car scene for a few years. i currently own a 1996 Honda Civic cxi hatchback which is in unreal condition and low k's. Within the next few weeks ill be looking to modify it with the usual bodykit, rims, suspension, turbo and a few other things; the point of this post is to clarify a few things (older posts are dated to far back) and make sure im going in the right direction.

I understand that alot of people do go with the Peakboost turbo kit as it seems to be realible at 7psi on stock internals. what are the pros and cons with going with peakboost? who supplies this either within brisbane or other states are fine.

With the other posts that i have come across they mainly talk about what they are going to do to the engine and thats about it. with adding this turbo kit on, would i be looking at upgrading the gearbox and clutch to cope with this? would i need to upgrade the CV joints and is this possible? is there anything else running gear wise which i will need to upgrade?

Also i dont know the correct term for it, but what i wouuld like to prevent what i call 'bunny hopping' where by taking of and the front wheels dont gain traction, the front feels like it jumps up and down (lol) and the dash shakes. is there anything suspension wise which will stop this or do i need to put up with it?

i know there are some basic questions however i was not able to find answers for these.

i hope someone is able to help me.

Dylan

quangsuke
19-06-2010, 02:04 PM
this should be in the FI thread

ek lover
19-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Okay sure ill try there.

Thanks

ek lover
19-06-2010, 04:50 PM
still no help - can anyone tell me of engine builders/tuners in brisbane who i can personally speak to?

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Integra
19-06-2010, 07:00 PM
http://www.turbod16.com

aznalex
19-06-2010, 08:12 PM
isnt bunny hopping from being a noob driver? idk

The D16Y4 engine =/ (slow engine, which is probably why your looking to chuck a turbo on it)

imo, i dont think you should be wasting money on a CXi, get a GLi and do an engine swap. B18C is one of the best engines u can get, double the power of a D16Y4.

CXi:
no power mirrors,
no power windows,
no tacho (but you can install one),
possibly no a/c in some CXi,
no rear drum brakes

Sorry for my choice of words but..
i can definitely feel some childish urges in your posts where you are really hyped and want to get shit done ASAP

have you done any research? cos there are like heaps of better mods that can be done with the cash you are going to use for a turbo.

ek lover
20-06-2010, 07:18 PM
isnt bunny hopping from being a noob driver? idk.

lol thats funny tbh, im not going to reply back to that.

The D16Y4 engine =/ (slow engine, which is probably why your looking to chuck a turbo on it)

imo, i dont think you should be wasting money on a CXi, get a GLi and do an engine swap. B18C is one of the best engines u can get, double the power of a D16Y4.

If i was going to do this - i wouldnt bother doing it to the car i have; i would get a car that comes factory turbo

CXi:
no power mirrors,
no power windows,
no tacho (but you can install one),
possibly no a/c in some CXi,
no rear drum brakes.

the only things i do not have are tacho, power mirrors and windows. tbh im not a lazy person so it doesnt bother me about no power windows and mirrors, just means less electricals i need to maintain. about the tacho i dont need one at present since i listen to the engine; when i do get these mods done i will do the obvious and get one installed coupled with a few other gauges.

Sorry for my choice of words but..
i can definitely feel some childish urges in your posts where you are really hyped and want to get shit done ASAP .

i can understand where you are coming from as this is the first car that i will actually get to modify; however childish i dont agree with. i have money and i am not worried by how i spend it, this is my first car that i will be modifing as what i have stated previously and i just want a fun car for day to day.

have you done any research? cos there are like heaps of better mods that can be done with the cash you are going to use for a turbo.

Yes i have done some research hence the questions i asked, this topic has been covered but from a year to 2 years ago. i dont want to go with a mini-me conversion or n/a parts. the best bang for your buck i have found is to go the turbo route and thats what i am going to go with.

If anyone else who has done this to there D16Y4 or has any other input please let me know.

Everyones help is apreciated.

aznalex
20-06-2010, 08:07 PM
lol sorry 4 coming by as a bit of an ass
& cheers for posting back in a neutral manner

anyhow, while coming across your topic, i read on a few more posts and saw this
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?116117-Turbo-parts-for-EK-D16y4&highlight=oil+filter+location

this guy is selling a turbo kit which fits into your car,
if you ask a few questions im sure people who have already commented will know answers u are seeking

good luck with the turbo setup
just realised why the world of modding is so popular, because u can you anything you want! :D

ek lover
20-06-2010, 08:20 PM
lol thats okay - this topic has been covered a few times so i sort of expect it ( also with my lack of knowledge with hondas)

that post would of been unreal if it was this year - i noticed this when i was about to post so i dont think he would still have it.

yeah most definately - im just unsure on a few things so i would like to find out what people think etc; everyones input is appreciated with me.

Oh definately - thats the exciting thing about it. if everyone is keen ill make a post with my car and the progress i make.

VTECnique
21-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey Guys,

im new to the Car Modifing scene and have been out of the car scene for a few years. i currently own a 1996 Honda Civic cxi hatchback which is in unreal condition and low k's. Within the next few weeks ill be looking to modify it with the usual bodykit, rims, suspension, turbo and a few other things; the point of this post is to clarify a few things (older posts are dated to far back) and make sure im going in the right direction.

I understand that alot of people do go with the Peakboost turbo kit as it seems to be realible at 7psi on stock internals. what are the pros and cons with going with peakboost? who supplies this either within brisbane or other states are fine.

With the other posts that i have come across they mainly talk about what they are going to do to the engine and thats about it. with adding this turbo kit on, would i be looking at upgrading the gearbox and clutch to cope with this? would i need to upgrade the CV joints and is this possible? is there anything else running gear wise which i will need to upgrade?

Also i dont know the correct term for it, but what i wouuld like to prevent what i call 'bunny hopping' where by taking of and the front wheels dont gain traction, the front feels like it jumps up and down (lol) and the dash shakes. is there anything suspension wise which will stop this or do i need to put up with it?

i know there are some basic questions however i was not able to find answers for these.

i hope someone is able to help me.

Dylan

OK, here's my input. If your only planning to run a stock block setup, I wouldnt go passed 10psi, just a heavy duty clutch & either lightened or machined flywheel will be fine. Dont need to do anything to the CV joints (driveshafts) either, stock untis can handle that sort of power fine. Im not really certain on the peakboost kit. I was looking at an ebay kit myself, which can be a hit & miss.

Your 'wheel hop' problem is caused by excessive engine movement. There are a few options you have. Motor mount inserts (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130255823857&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT), Billet motor mounts (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AVID-BILLET-MOTOR-MOUNTS-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-B16-B18-D16-/390210517906?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ada5bfb92), or an NRG engine torque damper (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-Engine-Torque-Damper-Silver-Honda-Civic-96-00-/120583655300?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c13588f84). These will all help get the power down to the ground alot better, however, since your stiffening up the engine movement, you may notice extra rattles or vibrations from within the cabin. But IMO, thats a price worth paying for performance.

xenonkuraz
21-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Sell the Cxi and get a better platform to modify with.

saikou27
21-06-2010, 10:16 AM
look at it this way. cxi is a better platform in the sense that its got less and therefore lighter. engine wise its the same as a gli and the only thing its missing besides some interior stuff and electrics, is a swaybar which u would replace anyway or even grab oem front ones that bolt on anyway

aznalex
21-06-2010, 12:51 PM
oh i heard the weight difference is like 5-15kg or something..
lose some weight, buy a Gli xD

saikou27
21-06-2010, 05:07 PM
oh i heard the weight difference is like 5-15kg or something..
lose some weight, buy a Gli xD

point taken but im sure im not the only one who thinks its a stupid idea to sell his good condition car with low km motor in it just for power mirrors and windows. the cxi is no worse than gli when it comes to modifying so why bother

~Sp33~
21-06-2010, 05:14 PM
With the correct spring and damper settings, wheel hop wont be a problem.

ek lover
21-06-2010, 05:56 PM
thanks guys for your inputs i appreciate it.

ive gotten a quote for the parts and install 12-15k; this includes: Peakboost D series turbokit, brass button clutch, lightened flywheel, pump, injectors, neptune ecu, and exhaust. when it comes closer to the deadline ill be getting it all finalised.

What i would like to know is, is it worth for this amount of money? ie power gains and what cars i would be able to keep up with and/or pass (fords or holdens etc) im not originally a honda person but i dont think i can part with her. could anyone who has done this to there d series have any input?

I have also been talking to hi-power (ivan) who is a good bloke! ill be going down to him within the next few weeks to have a chat

saikou27
21-06-2010, 06:51 PM
if ur willing to do some more research and online shopping, u could save some money and buy a custom turbo setup with second hand parts rather than buying the kit. for that kind of money i would be expecting a full engine rebuild with much stronger internals to handle alot of boost

~Sp33~
21-06-2010, 06:55 PM
A lot of that 12-15k is going to be labor.

If you can't do it yourself, just sell it and buy a better car. Evo's and WRX have great bang for your buck. 7psi will be fun, but don't expect it to move the earth, or be any faster than any v8 ford/holden.

ek lover
21-06-2010, 09:34 PM
D series Peakboost kit $5850.00
Neptune $1450.00
6 puckbrass button clutch and ultra light flywheel at 8lbs $1250.00
Injectors $ 550.00
fuel pump $220.00
Total - 9320.00

this quote is from ak motor works and doenst include exhaust and installation - install will cost $2-3 grand and exhaust could range from 800-1500 depends on what i go for.

Im not expecting this to be low 11 passes just an enjoyable cruzer, see thats what im stuck on atm; do i do the civic up or go with something thats factory turbo cause it is a fair amount of money

saikou27
21-06-2010, 09:45 PM
honestly as a fellow ek civic owner. i would much rather buy a newer and better car if i had my cars worth plus 12-15k, even if i the new one was a bit slower. just my 2c

ek lover
21-06-2010, 10:19 PM
fair enough - i find its a bit half and half with if i should or not.

hmm decisions to make which i dont want to :(

mugen_ctr
22-06-2010, 01:53 AM
man honestly, if its that expensive, stuff goin through ak motorwarez, lots of money involved for that sorta gains, no offence to them, yes there reputable workshop, but come on, for that price, i coulda sold off my car, and with the $5000 + 9320.00, works out to be that i coulda brought a wrx/silvia/skyline etc.... and with that, it will be much faster than d16 turbo ek, crap over the ek handling, and best of all, its a proper sports car....

I do like my EJ, but in the end, its not a proper sports car, an merely just my daily, hence why i can't justify spend big dollars on this, maybe if it was a Ek9, yes i would, but for this ride no...