PDA

View Full Version : Driving up to Thredbo

zimmy83
20-06-2010, 10:50 AM
hey guys

just wanted to know if anyone has had experience driving up to thredbo from sydney...gonna be heading up there...whats the whole idea with the chains for tyres and like are they really a need plus anyone knows how to put them on??and i guess anything to look out for when driving up??

regards

2MPRS
20-06-2010, 12:27 PM
we drove up there a few years back just check tyre pressure oil stuff u would usually check on long trips. you only need them if the weather is horrible but they are like 10bucks a day to hire so its good to have them in the car incase they dont let u up the mountain. pretty easy to put them on drive on them halfway and tie them up the hire place will show u anyway.

zimmy83
20-06-2010, 12:41 PM
sweet yeah i think i might just rent a pair since its not that expensive anyways..but im heading up next week...haha..don't think its gonna be snowing crazy yet...better safe then sorry i guess! =)

souperman
20-06-2010, 03:58 PM
from
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkGetThere.aspx?id=N0018

Special regulations apply in winter
Be aware that special regulations apply in winter to help the flow of traffic to the ski-fields.

If you are driving a two-wheel vehicle, you must carry properly fitting snow chains from the June long weekend to the October long weekend on the following roads:

* Kosciuszko Road, from the park boundary at Thredbo River to Perisher. The road is closed to Charlotte Pass.
* the Island Bend/Guthega Road for its full length
* the Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin.

4WD vehicles do not need to carry snow chains although due to the high level of accidents involving 4WD vehicles the RTA recommends they also carry chains in snow risk areas.

aaronng
20-06-2010, 04:40 PM
You need to carry the chains but don't have to use them unless it is snowing and the road is covered in snow.

zimmy83
20-06-2010, 11:16 PM
yeah i guess thats pretty much is the plan..carry it if needed use it if not just have it...=) thanks peeps!