PDA

View Full Version : Engine mount exploded

tuanEH?
20-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm currently looking into purchasing some new engine mounts for my dc5r, I just want to know which brand would be best for my needs. one of my side engine mounts ripped apart recently.

Basically i just want engine mounts that would be good for daily driving but can handle the stress from some good spirited driving here and there...

I was thinking of either purchasing Hasport, Innovative or mugen mounts. I've read that the hasports and innovative mounts are made from urethane, therefore making the car feel rough on idle (vibrating alot). Whereas the mugen mounts are very similar to the stock ones (even in shape) except that the rubber that's used is harder? But apparently the mugen ones do a similar job to what the hasports and innovative do but with very minimal/no vibration on idle.

I was just hoping to get some helpful tips or reviews from people who've purchased these mounts for their dc5; so that i know what to expect from each one.

Thanks.

quangsuke
20-06-2010, 07:13 PM
hasport and innovative seem rough because they are that stiff and rock the whole car.
you can get oem ones....

noobcake
20-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Yea i have hasport's on my dc5r you can pretty much feel anything.

Nepolian
20-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately there is no in between.

Stock = nice daily
Hasport/avid/innovative = sporty (vibrations)
Mugen = stock with hole in pocket

I suggest you get oem if u want to keep car daily and vibration free. Take out the other mounts and fill the with urethane to minimize movement on stock mounts.

mnc
20-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Maybe stock oem mounts + a torque dampener?

tuanEH?
20-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately there is no in between.

Stock = nice daily
Hasport/avid/innovative = sporty (vibrations)
Mugen = stock with hole in pocket

I suggest you get oem if u want to keep car daily and vibration free. Take out the other mounts and fill the with urethane to minimize movement on stock mounts.

so you're saying i shouldn't bother with the mugen ones? I'm afraid that if i get another set of oem mounts; they'll just break again lol. Will the urethane inserts prolong the life of the mounts in any way?

Should i just sacrifice my comfort for the hasport/innovative mounts which will most likely last longer than the other mounts?

tuanEH?
20-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Maybe stock oem mounts + a torque dampener?

what does a torque dampener do? i read that it minimises vibrations when your foot is on the gas? anything else?

Zilli
20-06-2010, 10:12 PM
many people fill OEM mounts with Urethane, but this still creates vibrations... or they put in Energy Inserts...

Personall,y i'd buy a mount that suits my needs... i got the Hasports, and **** do they vibrate the shit out of the car, but they are for a purpose... if you want hard mounts you pay the price...

tuanEH?
20-06-2010, 10:28 PM
many people fill OEM mounts with Urethane, but this still creates vibrations... or they put in Energy Inserts...

Personall,y i'd buy a mount that suits my needs... i got the Hasports, and **** do they vibrate the shit out of the car, but they are for a purpose... if you want hard mounts you pay the price...

what mounts would you suggest i get? i'm just afraid of forking out the money for stock mounts and then it breaks apart again lol. tbh i won't be going track or the drags anytime soon, but i do sometimes give it a squirt on the streets; enough to break the side mount that's currently on the car.

acurabot
20-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Ive got J's Racing mounts on mine, dont know how they are compared to mugens but they dont seem that much different compared to normal ones. mugen can still handle spirited driving as well but i remember reading (from a dodgy memory) that if you're going over 250hp later then dont get mugen as it'd break. I've heard Innovative 60A is good, stiff and does the job. Vibration is only idle, once you start rolling you dont feel much difference. Also, DC5 are known for their weak OEM mounts so dont bother getting OEM again.

hussLEr
20-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Get a standard 2nd hand replacement and fill it with sikaflex for some DIY goodness.

Dodgey, but i haven't heard any complaints.
=)

tuanEH?
20-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Ive got J's Racing mounts on mine, dont know how they are compared to mugens but they dont seem that much different compared to normal ones. mugen can still handle spirited driving as well but i remember reading (from a dodgy memory) that if you're going over 250hp later then dont get mugen as it'd break. I've heard Innovative 60A is good, stiff and does the job. Vibration is only idle, once you start rolling you dont feel much difference. Also, DC5 are known for their weak OEM mounts so dont bother getting OEM again.

yeah, i heard oem mounts for dc5r are weak as too, i was thinking of going for the innovative 60a ones; from memory those are the street ones right? idk how much they cost though. lol

aaronng
21-06-2010, 01:59 AM
what does a torque dampener do? i read that it minimises vibrations when your foot is on the gas? anything else?

Torque damper tries to prevent the engine from rocking when applying throttle. A side benefit is that it helps prevent the mounts from wearing as quick. Downside is that it can flex whatever you have it attached to.

Zilli
21-06-2010, 07:40 AM
what mounts would you suggest i get? i'm just afraid of forking out the money for stock mounts and then it breaks apart again lol. tbh i won't be going track or the drags anytime soon, but i do sometimes give it a squirt on the streets; enough to break the side mount that's currently on the car.

i cant recommend anything to you bud. If you are prepared to sacrifice quietness to ensure you have a stronger mount then go the Hasports...

acurabot
21-06-2010, 11:33 AM
yeah, i heard oem mounts for dc5r are weak as too, i was thinking of going for the innovative 60a ones; from memory those are the street ones right? idk how much they cost though. lol

Yeah, 60a's are for street. I got a quote from Shift Performance on the trader section with the following details for a DC5 (if you're keen, get an updated price incase its changed)

3 Piece Billet $525 in 60A RED street -$15 extra for 75A Track (Black),85A Race (Grey)
Front mount $135 if you buy them with the engine mount kit. -$15 extra for 75A Track (Black),85A Race (Grey)

The front mount is basically the transmission mount. If you replace the three mounts, and your trans mount is still OEM then it'd cost more stress on it which will break later on too. But if i was to get Innovative mounts, I'd check ebay first as they tend to go for cheaper.

tuanEH?
21-06-2010, 08:53 PM
alright thanks alot guys, thanks alot guys, appreciate the help, i'll probably go to shift performance sometime this week to have a look at the prices. BTW is there any real difference between hasports and innovatives?

blk_shadow
21-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Torque damper is something like a solid engine mounts, except not as stiff and neither do too much vibration. It minimises your engine movement and create more positive feeling on shifting gears as ur engine is hardly moving.

On a good ones, you can adjust the stiffness level accordingly. Therefore, it won't vibrate as much during idling

acurabot
21-06-2010, 09:14 PM
alright thanks alot guys, thanks alot guys, appreciate the help, i'll probably go to shift performance sometime this week to have a look at the prices. BTW is there any real difference between hasports and innovatives?

hasports are more commonly used for the hardcore enthusiasts, better quality etc etc but its more expensive at times.