PDA

View Full Version : D16A3 into 89 civic/CRX conversion

89CRX
20-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Has anyone attempted this swap before?

What brackets did you use to mount the civic/crx power steering and Air-conditioning pump to the engine block?

Snoop_gee
21-06-2010, 07:39 AM
may i ask why are u putting a D16a3 as appose to the D16a8/ZC engine?

89CRX
21-06-2010, 08:12 AM
A few reasons...higher redline, more aggressive fuel mapping, stronger connecting rods...and it was the only D16a I could get my hands on at short notice!

Snoop_gee
21-06-2010, 09:29 AM
PM this guy (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?20386-_CRX_) he is the MAN when it comes to CRX parts.
If he cant source u a motor and gbox i can arrange something but im interstate.

~Sp33~
21-06-2010, 05:08 PM
A few reasons...higher redline, more aggressive fuel mapping, stronger connecting rods...and it was the only D16a I could get my hands on at short notice!

Oh is that why the d16a8 makes more power than the d16a3 :P

The custom work that's needed to get the passengers side engine mount to bolt up, as well as getting a transmission to bolt up is just not worth it mate. You would get the same power out of a sohc D16 less money.

That's why noone bothers swapping these into ED/EF's.

SINISTR
21-06-2010, 07:24 PM
D16A3 was found in some of the earliest Integras and Rovers - if you want to put that motor into an 89+ CRX you'd actually be doing an illegal swap. Its illegal to swap an OLDER motor than the chassis.

Your 89 CRX would have come out with a D16A8 so you'd be better off finding another D16A8 or rebuilding the one you have - or swapping a B16/B18 into the car (if you have the coin).

D16A3 and D16A8 are comparable power wise, D16A3 is actually rated 5hp less than a D16A8 (depends where you read) and 99% vacuum advanced/external coil ignition while your CRX D16A8 is electronic advance and internal coil ignition.

Bottom line - you're going backwards!

Snoop_gee
21-06-2010, 11:23 PM
like i been saying i got 1 right here for u ya man
http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/258533-1/206.JPG

89CRX
22-06-2010, 08:27 AM
D16A3 was found in some of the earliest Integras and Rovers - if you want to put that motor into an 89+ CRX you'd actually be doing an illegal swap. Its illegal to swap an OLDER motor than the chassis.

Actually, the engine comes from the pre-July 89 Integra, so the swap is legal. Furthermore, there were no major changes to pollution gear, so no problem. (Apart from the numerous headaches the swap has caused).

Your 89 CRX would have come out with a D16A8 so you'd be better off finding another D16A8 or rebuilding the one you have - or swapping a B16/B18 into the car (if you have the coin).

D16A3 and D16A8 are comparable power wise, D16A3 is actually rated 5hp less than a D16A8 (depends where you read) and 99% vacuum advanced/external coil ignition while your CRX D16A8 is electronic advance and internal coil ignition.

Bottom line - you're going backwards!

It's the lowly HF with the D15B, so I am going forward. Just a little slower than anticipated.

~Sp33~
22-06-2010, 02:59 PM
You have a HF? Aren't those only US delivered? If so, that's cool.

SINISTR
22-06-2010, 09:46 PM
How do you know its a 'HF'? HF was an American model and Australia only had the Si delivered here and imports from japan saw the 1.6L Dual Carbs with glass roofs usually (also labeled as Si in Japan).

If your car is an early 89 then yes you can swap it - if you're only out by a month or what not. Cutting it close but still good.

I'd wanna know more about your CRX though as I have a feeling the D15 you have in there is already not the original motor - like i said Australia and Japan never got the D15 in a CRX and never labeled it as a HF.

but to answer your question you'd find that people wouldn't attempt to do a D16A3 swap into a Gen2, its a motor that didn't come out in that model here - and because its a little older due to external coil pack, vacuum advance - its going backwards on a chassis which originally came out with D16A8 (internal coil, electronic advance) things I mentioned earlier. I would go for a D16A3 if say i blew up the motor in my Supercharged CRX as its running a D16A3 - but its an 84 model.

I have a whole D16A3 power steering pump setup I pulled out of that car, depowered the steering rack (Supercharged lives on that pulley now). With a D16A8 swap you'd use the power steering pump and most of the lines off that anyway - more of a bolt in than the stuff used in the integras or the gen1 CRXs.

In cutting the costs of getting this particular motor, you're increasing the risk of hard to get parts (not all D16 parts are inter-changable), gearbox off a D16A3 is NOT the same as D16A8, going backwards on the main stuff like ignition and advance and the difficulty on sorting mounts and so on... its seriously more hassle than its worth it... but thats my 2 cents - you'll do as you like really.

~Sp33~
23-06-2010, 01:05 AM
How do you know its a 'HF'? HF was an American model and Australia only had the Si delivered here and imports from japan saw the 1.6L Dual Carbs with glass roofs usually (also labeled as Si in Japan).

No JDM CRX had a 1.6L twin carb engine.

SINISTR
23-06-2010, 10:15 AM
No JDM CRX had a 1.6L twin carb engine.

sorry my bad - 1.5 Dual Carb but labeled Si not HF.

~Sp33~
23-06-2010, 10:14 PM
sorry my bad - 1.5 Dual Carb but labeled Si not HF.

Not to continue harping on, but the 1.5 dual carb models were called the 1.5x not Si, the SI stands or Sports Injection and the JDM Si's were only DOHC ZC's with MPFI.

dannyboy
27-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I had a 1.5 duel carb crx and it was actually plated an ED9 it was released in america as a cheaper option aka poverty pack drum brakes glass roof we also had a few of these delivered here in aus.
Hope that sheds lights
dont forget to leave PQ point if you like post!!!

~Sp33~
27-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I had a 1.5 duel carb crx and it was actually plated an ED9 it was released in america as a cheaper option aka poverty pack drum brakes glass roof we also had a few of these delivered here in aus.
Hope that sheds lights
dont forget to leave PQ point if you like post!!!

There was no dual carb CRX's ever released in America. The glass roof was also never an option in Australia or America.

So, no PQ points for your shitty info :)

dannyboy
27-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Funny cause thats what i was driving until about three weeks ago maybe you dont know as much as you think !!! :)
and ill also add that this particular model also came with a rear seat.

~Sp33~
28-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Actually, I'm positive that the American and Australian markets never had a glass roof.

You're not talking about a sunroof are you? Because they're different.

Post pictures all you like, but facts are facts.