PDA

View Full Version : how to check and add engine oil in a car?

MR.H
21-06-2010, 02:50 PM
hey,

just wondering how do you check the level of engine oil in a car by looking at the dip stick and how do you know how much oil to add? also does it matter if you check the engine oil when the engine is warm or cold? thanks

M@lew
21-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Take out your dipstick and give it a wipe. Then insert it, pull it out and check the level. There are two dots indicating whether you're full up or near empty. Just add oil as needed unless you want to do a full oil change, in which you need to drain it and fill it up with what's required for your car.

JDM-05R
21-06-2010, 03:00 PM
here you go mate. the engine oil is checked when the car is cold

http://www.ehow.com/how_103_check-oil.html

also where the arrow is pointing to is where the max is

http://usauto.vo.llnwd.net/o37/prod/3e/c9/3ec93121f062940a9ccbe6f1ec38d238da83200a1257223938 2403.jpg

CB7_OWNER
21-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Start the engine for about 10 secs. Turn it off. Let it sit for about 2 mins. Take out the dipstick and check level. top up as required.. do it 100ml's at a time to prevent over-filling.

aaronng
21-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Start the engine for about 10 secs. Turn it off. Let it sit for about 2 mins. Take out the dipstick and check level. top up as required.. do it 100ml's at a time to prevent over-filling.

Don't need to do that if the engine is cold. All the oil is in the sump already.

DC2-PWR
21-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Change oil filter aswell when you put in new oil.

Zilli
21-06-2010, 09:57 PM
he's talking about checking and topping up, not changing...

Anyway, i tend to check my oil when warm personally, from the bottom to top level of the dipstick is usually about a litre

Also, check your manual man, its got all the info you need too... good luck

xenonkuraz
21-06-2010, 10:53 PM
do it 100ml's at a time to prevent over-filling.

+1

this is pretty important

DC2-PWR
21-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Don't need to do that if the engine is cold. All the oil is in the sump already.

I respect you a lot for your knowledge,

BUT

I serviced my car (Integra) on a cold morning (not that it matters), I changed the oil, and then I checked the dip stick. The dip stick came out dry (even though I poured in 4LTRS). I started the car and left it turned on for 10mins. I read the dip stick again, and oil level was correct. Perhaps starting the car does help, I'm not too sure.

To OP, a small video for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiigBOhLfQs

Doing a easy job yourself saves $$$,
Good luck :)

aaronng
21-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I respect you a lot for your knowledge,

BUT

I serviced my car (Integra) on a cold morning (not that it matters), I changed the oil, and then I checked the dip stick. The dip stick came out dry (even though I poured in 4LTRS). I started the car and left it turned on for 10mins. I read the dip stick again, and oil level was correct. Perhaps starting the car does help, I'm not too sure.

How long did you wait between changing the oil and checking the dipstick? You have to wait for the oil to drain back into the sump because you are pouring it in at the head, just like how you left it for 10 minutes after running the engine. Another possibility is an airlock where an air bubble is preventing the fluid in one section from draining back down into the sump. The difference between low and high on the stick is only 1 litre. So if a proportion of the oil is stuck in the head for some reason, then it can show a totally dry dipstick.

DC2-PWR
22-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Man your mind is magic,

As soon as I pour in oil, close the oil cap, I then check the oil right after (so I probably check the dipstick 30secs after I pour in oil). Thanks for clarifying, sorry for offtopic question.

Cheers.

rice_spirit
22-06-2010, 12:30 AM
sorry to hyjack thread but is it normal to have different levels of black in the oil when checking the dipstick?

when i check my dc2r oil

basically i see oil up to the higher point (max) however the oil in that area is very very thin and light in colour, whereas around the lower dot (min) thats where most of the darker and thicker oil is located..

is this normal? is my oil level at the max or minimum point?

thanks

aznalex
22-06-2010, 03:24 AM
sorry to hyjack thread but is it normal to have different levels of black in the oil when checking the dipstick?

when i check my dc2r oil

basically i see oil up to the higher point (max) however the oil in that area is very very thin and light in colour, whereas around the lower dot (min) thats where most of the darker and thicker oil is located..

thanks

its probably the quality of your oil, as it might be too thin and runny
are you checking the oil when your engine is hot?
because when engine is hot, thats when oil is viscous.

try and check your oil level when the car engine is cold.
if its still runny like you described, maybe change oil.. ur oil could be too thin like 0w-20 or something.

all honda cars in australia should be running on 10w-30
however i like to see 10w-40 as a standard oil that we can all use.
not too thick, not too thin =)?

Zilli
22-06-2010, 07:30 AM
oil by its nature is viscous, and also by nature will collect the dirt in your engine...

when you pull your dipstick out it collects at the bottom, where it collects the oil is thicker, which looks darker, the very top is thinner which looks lighter... this has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your oil or whether you check when cold or hot...

it is absolutely normal

aaronng
22-06-2010, 08:18 AM

when i check my dc2r oil

thanks
Probably because when you pull the dipstick out, the oil tries to run down the bottom of the dipstick (like any liquid does). So the oil near the min point is a droplet, while the oil near the max point is a thin film. That's why the min looks darker and thicker.

rice_spirit
22-06-2010, 04:53 PM
as always. thanks for the quick and helpful reply guys!