PDA

View Full Version : who chooses smash repair?

kNetz
21-06-2010, 08:36 PM
hey guys,

Heres my situation, a workmate (female) of mine hit the back of my car in the carpark. She admitted to it and said she'll pay cash or if it cost too much she'd go through insurance. She also asked if she could get her nephew to fix it with his smash repair so she cud get it cheaper. I told her I'll have a look at the place.

I got quotes from smash repairs and told gave her the prices. Now her nephew calls me and says 'they get to choose the smash repairer because theyre paying for it'. and that he is not going to go through insurance.

Do they get to choose the repairer with insurance??
and do they get to choose the repairer without insurance? coz they could be dodgy and cutting costs for his auntie.

because that doesnt sound right to me, I should be choosing the repairer because she damaged my car right?

If anyone has been in the same position or have information please let me know.

thanks.

kNetz
21-06-2010, 09:10 PM
can anyone help?

espionage85
21-06-2010, 09:23 PM
how bad is the damage?

let them fix it, if youre not happy with the repair let them do it again lol

WATAJK
21-06-2010, 09:27 PM
hey guys,

Heres my situation, a workmate (female) of mine hit the back of my car in the carpark. She admitted to it and said she'll pay cash or if it cost too much she'd go through insurance. She also asked if she could get her nephew to fix it with his smash repair so she cud get it cheaper. I told her I'll have a look at the place.

I got quotes from smash repairs and told gave her the prices. Now her nephew calls me and says 'they get to choose the smash repairer because theyre paying for it'. and that he is not going to go through insurance.

Do they get to choose the repairer with insurance??
and do they get to choose the repairer without insurance? coz they could be dodgy and cutting costs for his auntie.

because that doesnt sound right to me, I should be choosing the repairer because she damaged my car right?

If anyone has been in the same position or have information please let me know.

thanks.
If you go through insurance, ITS your choice where you go, your insurance company can recommend and insurance repairer as they get a gurantee for life from there...
but in your case, she HIT YOU... you decide.. don't listen to her or him...
Tell him to F off if you wanna be upfront, go get quotes and see what he quotes you... cheaper work generally means they cut back on certain things.. >.>

Zilli
21-06-2010, 09:51 PM
he is obviously trying to muscle you into doing what they want, which will inevitably be a quick and cheap repair, as he is doing his aunty a favour.

i wouldn't waste one more minute with it. I would speak to your workmate and set things straight with her first. Explain to her that you don't appreciate being bullied into a situation where you have no choice. Explain to her that there are three options

1) That you do the amicable thing and accept for her to pay to get the car repaired. This will entail getting 3 written quotes, one from her nephew to be fair. Now the repairer will ask you if it's a personal cash job or an insurance job. As i said, get 2 as cash, then get one quoting it being for an insurer (you will note that they will put more in usually), and get one from the nephews panel shop on the panel shops letterhead.

2) She can go with her insurer, and you will go by her insurers repair process, which will entail you going to one of their recommended insurers, dropping off at their repair centre, or getting 3 quotes, after which the insurer will send an assessor out who will adjust/approve the job.

3) You can go to your insurer, lodge a claim which will NOT affect your NCD as long as they deem it to be your fault. This is where an admission of guilt from your workmate on paper is valuable. Although i have heard of car park bingle situations where they will elect to take your excess from you until they can recover some money from the other insurance company

Either way, with any of the 3 options, you should NOT be put in a position where you are forced to go through their repairer of choice. This is not to say the repairs will be substandard, they may be fine, but you need to assess everything i guess. As i said, make sure you get a few quotes, and in particular , ensure the quote you get from her nephews panel shop is on the company letterhead.

ks_87
22-06-2010, 08:39 PM
3) You can go to your insurer, lodge a claim which will NOT affect your NCD as long as they deem it to be your fault.

as long as they deem it NOT to be ur fault isn't it?

Depends on ur insurance company, but yeah above is generally correct. If you go thru insurance, depending on ur company, you get to choose ur repairer as long as its approved by the insurance company (which involves submitting quotes as stated above).

pretty sure he doesn't have a right to say who repairs your car since 1) they at fault, 2) hes not gonna be driving ur repaired car after and having to worry abt selling it later. If he keeps bullying you just tell him either you choose repairer, or go thru insurance. simple (hopefully u have the person at fault's details).

Suggestions above to keep things amicable are :thumbsup: too. Gluck man.