PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheels Cleaner

Adrian Euro
21-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi,

I went to the car wash today and they used this spray on my rims. They didn't need to even scrub my rims all they needed to do was spray this solution on leave it there for a few minutes then was it off with water and they where shiny new. I am interested in purchasing this solution. He said that he can't sell me a bottle of the solution becuase apparanlt it had a mixture of acid?

Does anyone know how to mix this solution or where i may be able to purchase this?

Thanks

praja6
21-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Does your alloy got dirt on it? Well after i came outside from car(just 2months old euro cu2)i just wipe out the dust with a soft cloth and make it clean and nice....Don't know those sprays can scrab or harm the alloy. i am sure someone here in this forum can give some advise...

kimnkk
22-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Definitely give Sonax Wheel Cleaner a go. I find it great and its easy to get, you can get them at Repco and Autobarn.

You shouldn't really use anything acidic as it can damage your clear coat but this Sonax stuff isnt acidic. You leave it on there for a few minutes and it will go red and then you spray it off and your wheels look clean. You can agitate the liquid with a brush for the more stubborn bits.

dness
22-06-2010, 12:20 AM
acid?!! O_O

I wash my wheels last after I wash my car, just roughly. I then dry it off with a towel and wipe off all the brake dust. I then apply FW1 cleaning wax with Carnauba. No alcohol, No silicion, No ammonia. All shiny and new :D

SPO73D
22-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Yer, I went to my local carlovers and the guy there was doing this, we got to chatting and apparantly its called a "cold acid" or something like that...

Basically, its 1 part acid to 2 parts water that they mix up, pretty harsh shit if you put **** up the ratio. But yer, it does wonders for your rims, Lol.

I dont think there is anything that is commerically availible thats that strong, but yer, genreal rim cleaners work great, just need a bit of elbow grease for some of them :)

Neesmo31
22-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Any form of acid or alkaline will strip the clear off and leave it looking crappy, like a matt finish. Best solution for clean rims is normal car wash and elbow grease.

But if your chasing for a bomb solution, use koala truck wash. I had a mate who raved about this stuff for ages and didnt beleive him of how good it is. Tried it on my dirt bike and its simply unreal. Buy it religeously now.

aaronng
22-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Don't like that shit. It damages the clearcoat on the rims and if they accidentally get it on your paint, it's bye bye. If it gets into the gaps of the panels, then you can have a nice rusty car in a few years.

HunterZero
22-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Standard wheels on the Euro are painted and clear coated, so whatever works on paint works on wheels. Usually allowing the detergent to soak then a slight agitation with a soft wheel brush or cloth, or using a pressure washer will get rid of the brake dust. Fill a spray bottle with dilute car wash soap and coat the wheels.

A mild acid will help break up the brake dust, and won't strip the clear coat off the wheel. It takes a pretty aggressive acid to do that. Just don't use it on the wheels if they are hot.

You can try power wheel cleaner from Final Inspection if you're after a product that doesn't require as much elbow grease.

If you have polished metal or chrome rims, try a small bit of any product before coating it.

- HZ

Neesmo31
22-06-2010, 12:37 PM
What koala care?? Its worked wonders on my bike, hasnt even damage the plastics, stickers, and doesnt even mark brushed aluminium. I love it. Never used it on the car though.... lol.

Elbow grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxb4xx
22-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Maguires soft wash.. after you finished washing the car with it, change sponges and do the wheels...

+1 for elbow grease and car-wash.

minircc
24-06-2010, 01:03 PM
i have Maguires alloy wheel cleaner. it is a spray bottle.
i hardly ever use it because soapy water and a sponge normally does the job.

dc2r-0636
24-06-2010, 01:35 PM
eagle one alloy wheel cleaner is by farrrr the best i have used

markc
24-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Autoglym wheel cleaner is the best in my opinion. $50 for 5 liters from Autbarn. Spray it on, hose it off and wheels are so clean and bright.