PDA

View Full Version : Crappy wheel nuts

brendan1990
22-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey guys, so i got some new wheel nuts tonight called 'Titan r25' also on the packaging is says 'super light' they are also super shit.
i was tightening them up with a breaker bar (should of used a torque wrench) and the very last one snapped which really pissed me off, i was not doing them up tight at all and couldnt believe how easy it broke, i was going to go round and double check every other nut but decided not to after that cause no doubt i would have broken more, so now i have the end of a wheel nut on one of my studs which my boss at work tomorrow recons he can get off (i have no clue what his got planned thought) anyway since then ive come to the conclusion that the nuts are aluminum which explains why they where so light but so weak, has anyone here or does anyone use aluminum wheel nuts? if not what do you guys use? i payed $130 for these cause i didnt want to pay more than 200 but im assuming this is one of those things where you pay for what you get. im quite affraid that when i give my s2 a kick in the guts one of my wheels are gonna fall off and they are not cheap rims by any means.
Anyway the guy i bought them off seems like a pretty good bloke so im gonna see him tomorrow and hopefully he will look after me.
Any replies would be gratly appreciated.
Cheers.

vtecster
22-06-2010, 09:34 PM
sorry to hear that.. but if ur running a s2k u shuld have gotten rays lightweight nuts for only an extra 70 buks at most and be assured of the quality.. wat u pay is wat u get n its not worth the danger

flipfire
22-06-2010, 09:45 PM
why were you using a breaker bar to tighten nuts?

STAiN MASTER
22-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I dont know this guy but I saw he's selling ray's lugs http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?129986-FS-S2000-OEM-front-bumper-BBS-RECARO
These would be of excellent quality and only $80 he's missing 1 nut tho.

JAP-S2K
22-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Age old story, cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap. Hope you don't get stiffed by the guy and he sorts you some new ones, but seriously learn youself a lession, buy good reputable parts... Rays nuts are o.k, but are known to strip if over tightened, so there's better ones out there.

brendan1990
22-06-2010, 10:53 PM
ok well thanks for the tips guys, this seems to be one of those learn from your mistakes type lessons, and flipfire the reason i was using a breaker bar was because i didnt want to strip the paint with a rattle gun, and i dont have a torque wrench, but i was very carefull with how tight i went which wasnt tight at all especially considering my breaker bar is only about 25cm long so its a pretty piss weak breaker bar at that.
Anyway will see how things go when i go back to the bloke tomorrow.

vyets
23-06-2010, 08:55 AM
wait didn't you make a thread about what wheel nut to get? But then again rays nuts will strip if you use too much force as well but I don't think they'll snap haha.

Never use a breaker bar, or a rattle gun. I tighten my nuts with a cross bar and I don't tighten them that much at all good pressure tight but it never takes effort to take them off. I track like that as well and have never got a wheelnut loosen on me.

rokkuchan
23-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Project KICS R40 Neo chrome FTW! I have these and love them.

vyets
23-06-2010, 10:46 AM
They're pretty heavy :P and they rust ftl

rokkuchan
23-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Really? Thought they're "super light weight"? They seem pretty light to me. haha. That's alright, i dont drive in rain.

3AM
23-06-2010, 07:40 PM
all aluminium wheel nuts are a bad idea and all of them will strip, theyre purely for show. the unsprung weight difference really doesnt do much.

go back to oem or steel nuts and use a torque wrench to tighten them.

vyets
23-06-2010, 08:14 PM
some rims can't run OEM nuts.
Kics aint alu thats why they heavy haha. :D

DLO01
23-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Never skimp with these 'tuner' nuts. They are mainly just for looks. If you must have them, buy a quality name. Also use extended wheel studs so the nut has more to bite on.

STAiN MASTER
24-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Ive got some used red 5zigen nuts if you would like to buy.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/wotmstore_2107_359794480

brendan1990
24-06-2010, 07:22 PM
im interested message me with how mch, but only if your in vic otherwise im not really interested.