PDA

View Full Version : What to do first?

Hoops
22-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Hey all, just bought a completely stock EJ8, in the near future i want to throw some rims on (not sure what kind yet), fit a full exhaust system and a nice soud system. In the long term ill definitly put in a turbo.

So, my question is, what should i do first? if i put an exhaust in first, will i have to change any of it when i get the turbo? what would u put in first? rims or sound?

Peace

quangsuke
22-06-2010, 10:28 PM
rims and suspension would be first.
a nice sound system, all you need is a sub and amp with tweeters at the front should sound great =D.
if your definitely going to turbo it, i would do it later as it will just end up costing more money replacing it. go a 2.25 - 2.5" cat to muffler to support turbo. if u do it now might be feel sluggish if u do it now though on a d16.

Zilli
23-06-2010, 07:30 AM
as above... dont do engine monds until you know exactly what you are doing... put together a plan on the full system ten modify... unless of course, "long term" as you put it is in the unforseeable future

Hoops
23-06-2010, 11:02 AM
no worries guys thanks heaps

hussLEr
23-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Definately suspension + rims + good tyres first. Handling will hopefully maximise the 'power' of the D16.

Mugen_Euro
23-06-2010, 02:10 PM
rear swaybar (cheap), coilovers (expensive), paint ur rims and calipers (this will cost you about 100 bucks tops), CAI (cheap + sounds insane), 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers + 2.25" cat back exhaust (this will cost you a fair bit) then if ur full hardcore get urself some boost, oil and water pressure guages for an easy 50 hp xD oh and a big ass gt wing that says cop bait LOL
And by the time you save up enough for a turbo you will probably want a better car unless your planning a full build for track or something...
my advice do an N/A build enjoy thrashing ur car then upgrade and start moding again :)

MWAKU
23-06-2010, 05:15 PM
rule of modding, do it right the first time, and dont do butcher jobs.

as everyone has already said, lower it first, then get the wheels (not vice versa) and then engine mods.

Penga89
23-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah Mwaku is right dont do vice versa... i put 17s on my accord and it looked like 4x4 for 2 days... pretty dumb haha..

but yeh
- get it lowered (coils if you have the budget)
- new shoes
if your going to turbo it and you want to save money just do handling mods..
- Sway bars
- New breaks if yours a run down
- Heavy duty clutch if yours is run down too ( you will need this for your turbo anyway)
- lighter flywheel
if your planning to keep it NA
yeah get a CAI and catback

Hoops
23-06-2010, 10:52 PM
freaken awesome advice, thanks guys.

so i think ill get coilovers, rims, swaybar (wtf is this btw, is it neccesary and what does it do?)

btw, anyone know a good place in bris to get it all done?

androo
24-06-2010, 12:17 AM
so i think ill get coilovers, rims, swaybar (wtf is this btw, is it neccesary and what does it do?)

*face palm*

Hoops
24-06-2010, 12:26 AM
*face palm*

hahaha this iiiiss in the noob section lol

quangsuke
24-06-2010, 12:34 AM
freaken awesome advice, thanks guys.

btw, anyone know a good place in bris to get it all done?

sway bars are the chassis support for under your car which links to your lower control arms causing your car to have less body role taking corners.
quite a good bang for buck mod for handling.
with coilovers, there are heaps out there and try to find height and damper adjustable ones. just saves you the effort in changing them later down the track when u feel the car is getting bouncy.

heaps of traders on here atm which stock coilovers and more then happy to install for you. dont just do everything because people say so, ask questions and learn =D this is a learning forum.
take advantage of it.

aznalex
24-06-2010, 01:43 AM
if you want performance then get suspension and turbo in first

if you want style get the rims or exhaust first

if you want practicability then get sound system first

if you want mix, then go for it.. dont let others tell u what to do, u know your own tastes better than anyone else

Hoops
24-06-2010, 01:53 PM
if you want performance then get suspension and turbo in first

if you want style get the rims or exhaust first

if you want practicability then get sound system first

if you want mix, then go for it.. dont let others tell u what to do, u know your own tastes better than anyone else

I like it, thanks man

dougie_504
27-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Have you set yourself a budget for the project? And what do you want? Speed? Handling?

I have a D16 Civic and a B16 CRX. Speed is awesome fun and I've had a great time making both cars faster (well, the D16 doesn't really get faster lol) and what I've noticed is that for the D16 engine I've had a lot more joy from just doing the handling.
My D16 has a CAI and a good set of headers. Not sure I'll bother finishing the exhaust because it's not really worthwhile, but I recently got some Skunk2 Pro S coilovers on the rear, and Pedders black shock absorbers with King springs on the front ---> much more fun to drive after doing this rather than the 'power' modifications.

And a good sound system is always a thumbs up IMO if music is your thing :)