PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Repair

SUPERBOY
23-06-2010, 06:10 AM
I need to use some touch up paint for sure (even just a little bit) but thinking I'd be able to fix them myself on the side of my EK Hatch. Whats the best way to go about this? Any scratch repair kits etc? Cheers :D

SUPERBOY
23-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Noone had scratches before? :P

M@lew
23-06-2010, 03:41 PM
So you've tried ScratchX and such?

SUPERBOY
23-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Well not Scratch X but a similar cutting compound, yes

MWAKU
23-06-2010, 05:11 PM
how deep is the scratch, if ur finger nail can get caught scratch x and cutting compounds are going to very little, if anything, just slightly make it less obvious, but wont cure it. so you will need to use touch up paint, but if the scratches are really deep, and u have good paint, ur probably going to need to respray the panel, if u like ur car to be clean and immac.

depending on the size of the scratch, u can use touch up paint and dab it on using a toothpick and dab it till its all covered, and go over it once dry, with nail polish, to act as a clear coat

SUPERBOY
23-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Yes which is why I'm asking are there any specific paints for DIY jobs or just pretty much 'touch up paint for this colour code' ?

MWAKU
23-06-2010, 07:44 PM
yes its just touch up paint for the color code...

euromandeluxe
23-06-2010, 11:26 PM
a good technique seems to be to apply a bit of touch up paint with a toothpick into the scratch, then across the scratch with a maccas napkin or similar to get rid of similar paint. let it dry for a little, then repeat. a few 'coats' should give you a fix where the touched up bit is 'level' with the surrounding paintwork.
can't vouch for this method though as i haven't bothered to try it yet - search the DIY section