PDA

View Full Version : transmission issue

VTECANDY
23-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone

Yes, i have an auto but is supringsly alright, except one issue, its slipping for some reason, This is the 2nd reco ive got, and it tends to slip around the 50k mark when changing gears. Should i adjust the accelerator/kick down or whatever cable you call it? And does anyone know how much to tighten/loosen it? Im guessing u'd have to tighten it if it slipping?

aznalex
24-06-2010, 01:02 AM
i cant only barely understand what your talking about in the first sentence.
(where you have put the full stop)

you have to tell everybody the condition your car is in and how old it is
ie. what year, howmany KMs

also what car do you have?????

im guessing when u say 50k mark
you mean 5,000 RPM - 5k
(50,000 RPM is lol)

gonna assume your car is used, and you bought it second hand, previous owner thrashed gearbox, and now its slipping.
only way to fix this is to get a new gearbox, or try to recondition it, or try swapping the gearbox oil to some good stuff and see if that helps..

accelerator/kickdown? do u mean the throttle wire? that doesnt have anything to do with the gearbox and slipping problem

grifty
26-06-2010, 12:31 PM
hows the condition of the transmission fluid?

im.Kusuma
26-06-2010, 12:47 PM
this is just an idea, but it could be your pressure plate thats giving up and causing your gears to slip. since you've already reconditioned your gear box, MAYBE not accusing you of anything but could you be riding your clutch too much? (No offence). as above, check your transmission fluid, it should not be a black or dark. it should be a nice light clearish colour.

like aznalex said, what car do you drive etc.

this link will give you an indication of how to CHECK/CHANGE your transmission fluid if u want to give it a go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5SiZ29cCcU

i dont think auto has clutch.. probably an auto clutch? lol

quangsuke
26-06-2010, 03:43 PM
my bad. didn't read that auto bit. sorry.

im.Kusuma
26-06-2010, 08:49 PM
my bad. didn't read that auto bit. sorry.

its all good champ :)

and, goodluck to op :)

VTECANDY
28-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Its a 1992 Prelude Full jap import, its the SI-VTEC model, this is the 2nd reco i have in it as i said earlier. For some reason, it happens in 3rd gear, i'd be going around 40 and it would hold into gear if i give it a bit of juice and keep it at around 2900RPM's until it reaches 100 and then finally change smoothly into 4th gear. If i do not do this, and have the car around 2100-2500RPM's around 40k's, it'll slipp and rev usually upto 3400RPMS before it changes gears. Its really weird, i have no idea what the problem is. I THINK, it may be the kick down cable, thats what the guy at the shop keeps saying and says he keeps adjusting, is he talking bull?

Nepolian
29-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Its a 1992 Prelude Full jap import, its the SI-VTEC model, this is the 2nd reco i have in it as i said earlier. For some reason, it happens in 3rd gear, i'd be going around 40 and it would hold into gear if i give it a bit of juice and keep it at around 2900RPM's until it reaches 100 and then finally change smoothly into 4th gear. If i do not do this, and have the car around 2100-2500RPM's around 40k's, it'll slipp and rev usually upto 3400RPMS before it changes gears. Its really weird, i have no idea what the problem is. I THINK, it may be the kick down cable, thats what the guy at the shop keeps saying and says he keeps adjusting, is he talking bull?

Do these have kickdown cables? You may have some solenoid issues with the gear box! Alot of honda autos in that era had failing solenoid issues. Take it to a competent mechanic and they should be able to diagnose it for you.

Other than that, do some googling and see if you can do it yourself.

And like someone already said, check the auto fluid for condition and level!

Good luck

Zilli
29-06-2010, 03:40 PM
an auto does have a clutch of sorts, it's called your stall converter....

as stated the first thing i'd do if you are going the DIY route is to change the fluid...