PDA

View Full Version : B16a EM1 turbo setup comprehesive insurance + other queries

Mikecivic78
24-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi All,

Lately I've been entertaining the though of getting a turbo setup for my EM1. IT would be mainly for street use.

ATM i'm a 32 y.o. and I pay $790 fully comp with my insurance company. How much would it cost after installing a turbo on my b16a? Or would I be uninsurable?

I searched but couldn't find much :S

Maybe u've seen my other thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?131939-Weighing-up-pros-and-cons-AUDM-DC2r-DC5r-versus-AUDM-S15-200sx Looks like that trade up isn't gonna happen.

I have some questions:

1) Due to a downturn in work, I'm unlikely to be able to save 10 grand to upgrade to DC5r, so a turbo setup on my EM1 would be much cheaper. I'm guessing around $6k, is that possible?

2) Also, I unsure whether it's worth boosting a car with 178,000 on the clock. It's got full service history, has been driven relatively reasonably, consumes very little oil (none if it isn't vteced) and pulls strongly for a b16a.

3) Also, is it relatively easy to return it to stock at sale time? I'd wanna part out the turbo kit. And is it difficult to hide the fact that it has had a turbo conversion previously?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this,

Cheers in advance,

Mike

DLO01
24-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Was 31 when I boosted my Teg. Think it was $9xx fully insured, all mods listed.

1) Due to a downturn in work, I'm unlikely to be able to save 10 grand to upgrade to DC5r, so a turbo setup on my EM1 would be much cheaper. I'm guessing around $6k, is that p
possible?

Yes, sure its possible. Research it up.

2) Also, I unsure whether it's worth boosting a car with 178,000 on the clock. It's got full service history, has been driven relatively reasonably, consumes very little oil (none if it isn't vteced) and pulls strongly for a b16a.

Of course its fine. As long as its been looked after, good compression etc. Its perfectly fine. Boosted my Crx at 220 000kms and it ran great!

3) Also, is it relatively easy to return it to stock at sale time? I'd wanna part out the turbo kit. And is it difficult to hide the fact that it has had a turbo conversion previously?

Easy as. Just keep all your NA parts and swap it all over when you need to.

Mikecivic78
24-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Was 31 when I boosted my Teg. Think it was $9xx fully insured, all mods listed.

1) Due to a downturn in work, I'm unlikely to be able to save 10 grand to upgrade to DC5r, so a turbo setup on my EM1 would be much cheaper. I'm guessing around $6k, is that p
possible?

Yes, sure its possible. Research it up.

Of course its fine. As long as its been looked after, good compression etc. Its perfectly fine. Boosted my Crx at 220 000kms and it ran great!

Easy as. Just keep all your NA parts and swap it all over when you need to.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't rep u because I already did recently. You are aways very informative and helpful. Thanks again.

I'm curious, is your ITR boosted? I saw the pics of it at the Clem 7 meet, it looked very clean and nice. I can't remember if i saw an intercooler on it.

I look forward to seeing your wheels at the July 4th annual meet :)

DLO01
24-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Hopefully other members can help you out and you can rep them! Teg was boosted, but not anymore. See ya on the 4th!

Mikecivic78
24-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Hopefully other members can help you out and you can rep them! Teg was boosted, but not anymore. See ya on the 4th!

Nice, cu on the 4th! Mines a silver em1... its still pretty stock. Look out 4 my wife, she'll be with me- she's my avatar.

Mikecivic78
25-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Could someone else tell what they have been quoted for b16a turbo comprehensive insurance? I fu could mention age, history ( i know it can be personal), It'll be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Lukezen27
26-06-2010, 10:54 AM
My EG5 B16 turbo is legally comprehensive insured

$800 a year but I'm old hahah

1. Emissions Test
2. Engineering
3. Engineering Report to the RTA and they chamge your rego type

Mikecivic78
26-06-2010, 08:38 PM
My EG5 B16 turbo is legally comprehensive insured

$800 a year but I'm old hahah

1. Emissions Test
2. Engineering
3. Engineering Report to the RTA and they chamge your rego type

Ur old? I'm 32, so thats pretty old considering the median age of an OH member.

I've been reading ur build actually, good read :)

However, I live in the good old sunshine state, out here u don't need to get a roadworthy until when you sell ur car. When u renew ur rego here, u dont need any roadworthy tests done. Thats why u see so many smoky bombs in QLD... They've been owned by the same neglectful owner for donkeys years and never had to get a roadworthy.

I'm actually curious if (at all?) I need to engineering etc... to get it legal here in QLD. Can any QLD members help me out. Deano maybe?

eg5civic
26-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Ur old? I'm 32, so thats pretty old considering the median age of an OH member.

I've been reading ur build actually, good read :)

However, I live in the good old sunshine state, out here u don't need to get a roadworthy until when you sell ur car. When u renew ur rego here, u dont need any roadworthy tests done. Thats why u see so many smoky bombs in QLD... They've been owned by the same neglectful owner for donkeys years and never had to get a roadworthy.

I'm actually curious if (at all?) I need to engineering etc... to get it legal here in QLD. Can any QLD members help me out. Deano maybe?

You will need engineering, for everything man, the front mount, turbo, ect

Depending on how much power you make they may look at how well your brakes will cope with the added power ect like a safety check

Mikecivic78
26-06-2010, 09:45 PM
You will need engineering, for everything man, the front mount, turbo, ect

Depending on how much power you make they may look at how well your brakes will cope with the added power ect like a safety check

How much would I need for engineering? I wouldn't want a large turbo, just a modest setup with 6-7 psi and stock internals. I don't wanna spend more then $6k all up. What parts could i source reliably second hand?

Lukezen27
27-06-2010, 01:19 PM
My Engineering was $800 but I had to upgrade my brakes in ITRs

Has nothing to do with power or the size of the turbo.

To put it simply, once boosted all Engineers will want bigger brake about before passing you

37 here but 32 would still be good for insurance

Limbo
27-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I got quoted from Justcars about $850.
I filled in every mod they had able to be ticked, and this was comprehensive. The only thing is that it has to be engineered.
It was an ek4 and i've over 25 without any prior bad history. (i'm almost the same age as you)

The gf was pissed off cos her car was basically stock and her car cost $20 more or so

Mikecivic78
28-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I got quoted from Justcars about $850.
I filled in every mod they had able to be ticked, and this was comprehensive. The only thing is that it has to be engineered.
It was an ek4 and i've over 25 without any prior bad history. (i'm almost the same age as you)

The gf was pissed off cos her car was basically stock and her car cost $20 more or so

850 is pretty cheap. But how good are Just Car when it comes to claims and payouts? They are a new, lesser known company. I'm with NRMA atm.

I'm still to learn about engineering. What does it exactly entail? Are u basically paying an 800 dollar 'tax', just for a guy to give you the green light to have a turbo setup? Also, is the law in QLD the same as in NSW? I still haven't done a search on this, so pls don't flame me. Here in QLD there's no such thing as a yearly blue slip (didn't even know what one one was until a mate from Sydney told me), so maybe engineering isn't a requirement here.

Limo
28-06-2010, 09:23 PM
crx turbo, 25yrs and about $900 with just cars. was about 1.1k when i first insurance cos i was under 25. im pretty sure once you hit 25 the rate should be the same unless you hit 50 or so.

had a claim when a bike hit me, same as any other insurance company really, get a few quotes n go from there. also if you were a autosalon competitor n got your insurance done at the show you get get to pick your preferred repairer.. aslong as its near the other quotes im assuming.

with the turbo kit, spend your majority of money on the turbo manifold, turbo, clutch n ecu/tune.. other areas dont have to be top shelf
also design the turbo kit so it can be reversed if necessary ie. dont cut holes in the chassis

Limbo
28-06-2010, 09:54 PM
justcars is underinsured by AAMI, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You would need engineering either way. I beleive in QLD its easier to get engineered

Engineering is basically an expert saying that with all the modifications your car has done it is till within roadworthy status to be on our roads.

All of your factory cars are engineered to a specific standard, otherwise they are not brought into the country

dougie_504
01-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Yeah JustCar is a branch of AAMI and from what I've seen they don't seem to have prejudice against people who mod their cars. A lot of companies will increase your premium everytime you put a new mod on your car, but JustCar doesn't much IMO.
Unlike like some of those wankers at YouI and Budget. You tell those people who 'tailor-make an insurance policy specific to your needs' that you have an aftermarket header and they just go 'I'm going to stop you there mate, can't insure you if you have a header'.

pricks.