PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problems!

sarantosser
25-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey guys,

Just a few questions. For those of you who don't know ive got a Civic ek1 1.6l d16 engine basically stock, except for air intake

Last week, i had completed a long drive to tullamarine and back to south eastern suburbs (cheltenham). While on the Freeway, my car started to lose power. I had no idea what this was, having never experienced it before. I called a few people and it was decided this was because i had low petrol.
My guage was showing low fuel, but hadnt exactly reached the 'E' and my Low Petrol Warning light hadn't even come on yet. Anyway, i got off the freeway and made it to a servo. I didnt have much money on me, so i only filled up 15 litres. Car was then driving normally.

The next day, i went to the petrol station again to fill up completely. I only got another 24 litres in before the nozzle started auto-stopping. This means i only added 39 litres.

Considering the total size of my tank allows for 45 litres. Is 6 litres a small enough amount of petrol to warrant the loss of power? The petrol warning light has never come on, so could the bulb be blown?

Also add this to another issue. When i am low on petrol, the engine takes AGES to start in the morning. (around 8 or 9 turns of the starter compared to the usual 4 or 5) Is this just a feature of my kind of car or could there be an issue/blockage with the fuel lines?

Sorry for such a longwinded post, but ive had a search and nothing really seems to answer my questions.

many thanks, sarantosser

markismaximus
25-06-2010, 01:03 PM
around 8 or 9 turns of the starter compared to the usual 4 or 5

you mean 8-9 turns of the key (attempts to start)? starters turn at +3000rpm

when last was the fuel filter replaced?

thegame888
25-06-2010, 01:18 PM
As markismaximus said, could be something as easy as replacing the fuel filter. It could be full of gunk. Ideally you shouldn't let your car run all the way to empty as you start to suck up the sediment at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Another thing, I once had something similar problem in my Civic and it took ages to diagnose. Turned out I had dented (ever so slightly) my fuel tank, so check that too.

sarantosser
25-06-2010, 01:28 PM
ohh sorry, put this down to my lack of knowledge haha.

I'm not talking about turns of the key (attempts)

I meant on a normal day when i turn the key to the 'start' position, it takes around 1-2 seconds for the engine to start.

on low petrol, it takes up to 5 seconds to start. sorry for the confusion.

I couldnt find any evidence of the fuel filter being replaced by the previous owner, but i dont have all of the service records. I've had the car since 169xxx kms, its now at 193xxx, and was planning to have the fuel filter replaced at 200, but maybe i should do it sooner?

sarantosser
15-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok so i had my Fuel filter replaced at a honda dealership. car drives a bit better than before. seems alot smoother and even slightly more responsive.

while there they inspected some of the issues i was having and the failure of low petrol light and incorrect gauging was put down to the float unit in the tank.
This costs $400 to replace, and is non essential as i can just use the trip meter to measure my petrol use (approximately)

But a NEW issue has arisen. Sometimes, i go to start the car, and the starter motor works fine, but it feels as if the engine itself is really battling to start. It sort've shudders for about 2 seconds, then is fine.

Considering i have replaced the fuel filter, what else could this issue be? Anyone else had anything similar. I have a day off tomorrow so i can check the air filter, but beyond that i'm at a bit of a loss.

Could it be fuel injectors? petrol pump? it gets a bit expensive to clean/replace those parts without any solid idea of where the issue is coming from.

Hope someone can help, and thanks in advance

grifty
15-07-2010, 07:34 PM
do you let the fuel pump prime before you start it?

sarantosser
15-07-2010, 08:47 PM
hmm i'm not sure, is priming the fuel pump just leaving the key in the 'accessories' for a second or so?

perhaps that is the case and i am just a total retard. my bad. sorry guys!

Raztaz
15-07-2010, 08:51 PM
you should be able to hear it priming

grifty
16-07-2010, 10:35 AM
hmm i'm not sure, is priming the fuel pump just leaving the key in the 'accessories' for a second or so?

perhaps that is the case and i am just a total retard. my bad. sorry guys!

yeah you leave it in the 2nd last position for about 5 secs to let it prime up then start the car.

sarantosser
16-07-2010, 04:22 PM
haha ok 5 seconds sweet, normally i go straight from off to ignition in 1 second, especially if i'm in a rush

Could never hear it priming because its drowned out by the noises of my seatbelt beeper and electric antenna making a racket :P

thanks again

~Sp33~
17-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Just wait for the check engine light to flash off, then start.

If your engine sounds like it's battling to start, maybe your battery is dying.

Limbo
18-07-2010, 02:03 AM
i'd get teh injectors cleaned especially if your fuel filter could have been dodgey.

THen do a service, at least you can eliminate any other issues from your fuel issue.
Plugs, oil, check timing.
ALot of things can make your loose power, it might just be a coincident at the moment

sarantosser
03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys. So far had the filter replaced. got one of those ''in tank'' injector cleaners. hasnt done the trick, still getting this issue, even with waiting for the fuel to prime.

Funny thing is, car doesnt have a problem starting up from cold. however, when ive driven around for a day, turning the car on and off, this is where the issue presents itself.

Next step is getting the spark plugs changed and timing checked also, as well as a proper injector clean... what can you guys recommend in the way of plugs?

~Sp33~
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Why not just take it to a mechanic to get diagnosed? Saves wasting money on new things you probably don't even need.