PDA

View Full Version : help bumper burn!

bennet654
25-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I just got installed a SKUNK2 MEGAPOWER 60MM CATBACK on my DC5R... the workshop stuck some sort of a 20c piece size thing on the bumper to protect it from getting burnt... only issue is the exhaust tip is actually touching the bumper so Im thinking down the line that little thing they stuck on wont protect my car at all... what are my options?

bennet654
25-06-2010, 05:26 PM
another issue i have notice is because its touching my bumper when its hot it has expanded and is making my bumper vibrate, giving a rattling sound because of the bumper moving

newpaddy3
25-06-2010, 05:37 PM
If you want to do a ghetto job just bend your exhaust down so it doesn't touch, then use some wire coat hangers if you cant stretch the metal hooks things (can't think of the name but they attach to the bushings) to reach the bushings.

Or you can take it back and get them to fabricate the exhaust so it wont touch....

bennet654
25-06-2010, 05:56 PM
i dont wanna do a ghetto job.. spent alot on the car and alot on the exhaust to try my luck at ghetto garage jobs.. lol any other ideas? thanks

M@lew
25-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Take it to an exhaust shop to and get them to do that then. Only way really to fix it is to modify the exhaust unless you want to get some rubber and wedge it in between the gap to dampen the rattling. Can't guarantee it won't melt though.

WATAJK
25-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Ben... go to my exhaust guy
might be a hike for you but he did my exhaust and he will fix your problem trust me..
Newlands Road, Auto Excess (Just after the coburg drive in, on your left), North Coburg

Say carl with the Red DC5R recommend him to you and he'll look after ya...
The guys who did the job obviously didn't do it right..
Ill grab a photo of mine late but mine sits perfectly in the centre :)

bennet654
25-06-2010, 11:18 PM
cheers mate! my problem is i dont wanna drive far.. due to the vibrations of the bumper and burning the lip... thanks for the reference though, I will use him next issue I have (hopefully there isnt anymore tho).. Im just gonna look at it tomorrow

1. try and bend the hanger
2. buy a universal hanger that is longer
3. go to a midas/ultratune and get it done

androo
26-06-2010, 01:17 AM
fk man go take it back to the shop that did it - Is that so hard? Why waste time doing it yourself or pay money to get it fixed when you can get the ass hole who did it to rectify the issue? If they fked up your exhaust and have to put a tab to stop it from burning your bumper, I'd say that's one sh1tty job...

RiceMeister
26-06-2010, 02:50 AM
just take it back to the shop that did it Ben, they should fix it back up for free, shouldn't be your problem to fix. don't bother wasting your time either DIY'ing, not much you can do without bending your brand new exhaust...

bennet654
27-06-2010, 12:41 AM
if anyone cares.. I took it into 'The Muffler Man' in Prahran this morning after calling up 20 mins prior... As I walked in a customer came out and said 'mate you have the best bloody exhaust mechanic in melbourne about to work on your car!' ... Boy was he right!.... If anyone wants to get their exhaust fitted, altered or seeking advice/options this guy is the best/fastest working/professional in the business... He cut in between the resonater and the muffler and custom made about 2-3inches of piping to lower the exhaust and extended the exhausts steel hangers.. only took him 35 minutes to cut the pipe - mount - weld new piece in - and weld on extenders for hanger... He also removed all my exhaust smoke marks on the rear bumper. Best of all he only charged me $50. Which I think is a pretty sweet deal seeing as though Saturday trading hours is for appointment only and the rates are usually higher.

Riced_Civic
27-06-2010, 07:27 PM
thats where i got my 1st exhaust done very good people.

bennet654
29-06-2010, 02:25 PM
The best!