PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and Rotors

simpdogg
23-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Hey all,

I'll be honest when it comes to brakes and rotors i know stuff all, im wanting to obviously change the braking performance on my car,as my car out performs the brakes, once i have done this up grade i can then start power mods!!!!

What id like to install on my 95 accord is a cross drilled and slotted rotor, new callipers and pads.

Im unsure of the following:

1) trusted brands
2) reasonable price
3) where to start looking

i have only just begun researching this, no doubt there will be alot more to come!!

id also like to know what some of you guys are using and how happy you are with your braking perfomance.

cheers
simpdogg

vtc
23-12-2004, 09:45 PM
You dont really need crossdrilled brakes if you arent taking it to the track, they just help cool down the brakes.

bennjamin
23-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Its very good that you have taken a somewhat opposite ntry to the motorsprot wordl - MOST people "try" to get all the kw's etc - and never even think about how they are goign to stop at all lol.

Anyway , since you have admitted not knowing much about brakes - hey - neither do I ! But this i do know - some thigns you can do are upgrade the brake pads themselves , and use a better quality brake fluid for better feel + response.

Better that OEM brake pads usually refer to "Race brakes" RB74 , metal kings etc - better fluid - people usually talk of motul , AP racing etc...

armak81
24-12-2004, 01:47 AM
you may want to consider trying bennjamin's options as a start. It may well be sufficient.

1. brake pads (EBC Green, Endless, Metal Kings, RB74) I use EBC Greens myself and are ideal in my opinion for street use.
2. brake fluid (Motul)

changing all this should be under the $400 mark inclusive of labour

simpdogg
24-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Cool as thanks for the advice!!!

i should of made mention the resoning as to why i want to upgrade the brake system, eventually i want to go turbo, nothing crazy most likly 7-8 psi, keeping the stock f22b engine, i know that the car will never be the fastest on the road and i dont really want it to be either, however id be more than happy with that.

i feel that to suit my driving style, i should focus more on how im gonna stop, ive felt the difference of driving my mates vp with the stock factory setup, to getting cross drilled and slotted rotors, new callipers and pads, the difference is awesome.

with the pads that are mentioned above, what makes them so good, my brake pad knowledge goes as far as bendix and thats it!!!

once again thanks for the advice really appreciate it

simpdogg

civiceg9
24-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Try DBA Rotors, they are not expensive like DBA 4000
Bendix Pads are also not bad and very afforable, I am using Utimate at the moment.

http://www.dba.com.au/

http://www.bendix.com.au

simpdogg
26-12-2004, 10:32 PM
thanks heaps everyone, ill let you know how i go

EK9
27-12-2004, 01:07 AM
also, i was told that braided brake lines also help wif stopping power... it keeps the lines from expanding(?) wen braking so it stays efficient. ok, this is wot i was told from a friend... btw, i'm not an expert either :D
oh, and spoon sells braided brake lines too, so i'm guessing they do have a useful purpose ;)

simpdogg
27-12-2004, 11:26 PM
braided brake lines in all honesty ive never heard of them before, but i will post my findings after the research had been done, whats spoons website btw??

joneblaze
27-12-2004, 11:29 PM
also, i was told that braided brake lines also help wif stopping power... it keeps the lines from expanding(?) wen braking so it stays efficient. ok, this is wot i was told from a friend... btw, i'm not an expert either :D
oh, and spoon sells braided brake lines too, so i'm guessing they do have a useful purpose ;)
I believe it has to do with preventing stock brake line expansion under duress, eg. lines and fluid heat up when hard driving/track braking. If you can keep the fluid pressure in your brake lines constant throughout using braided lines, your braking force will stay consistent and at optimum performance.

wynode
27-12-2004, 11:37 PM
I believe it has to do with preventing stock brake line expansion under duress, eg. lines and fluid heat up when hard driving/track braking. If you can keep the fluid pressure in your brake lines constant throughout using braided lines, your braking force will stay consistent and at optimum performance.
Pretty much.

The idea is to have the fluid pass the pressure from the brake pedal to the cylinder which applies pressure to the pad. When your brake lines expand.....you take away the pressue that pushes the piston within the caliper.

EK9
28-12-2004, 12:25 AM
^^^ yer, that's wot i meant, didn't i say that? :D

anyways here's the spoon site
http://www.spoon.jp/eng/
then go to product line up -> brake system ... got sum good products and info to help u out ;)

toE
28-12-2004, 03:56 AM
be wary of EBC pads with stock rotors. The last time I used them, they warped my rotors. (I had Green stuff with stock rotors)