PDA

View Full Version : The great ocean road!

brendan1990
25-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok guys so im off to the great ocean road on sunday in my s2, finally!
i have tonight and tomorow to strip the car as much as i can, and get the most out of it, providing it stays roadworthy.
and i need your help team =D
if there is something you know that i can add on at home please dont hesitate to tell me. All ideas are welcome, e.g. some way to get more air in the box, or provide more weight reduction.
Here is what i have done so far....
-Removed tool's, plus there was no spare when i purchased the car so that is also gone.
-when i bought the car it already had a new custom headunit installed so since then i have removed the cd stacker, and the supports for the stacker.
-currently trying to think of a way to make some sort of plumbing that goes from the grill to my air box, as i just removed all that plastic crap in front and above the radiator.
-also thinking of removing my passenger seat when i go down but that could be pushing the road worthy boundries a bit, please tell me if anyone knows if it would be ok to do so though.

Now im not going stupid down the road, i did that last time in my pug, this time i just want to see what i am capable of in the beast.
Any help would be great.

Note* i have set myself a $100.00 modification limit so if there is anything within this, or someone wants to sell something that will help please let me know.

Si1enzio
25-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Leave the car the way it is & enjoy the Great Ocean Road.
Its more of a scenic cruise, so take your time & enjoy it.
If you want to get the most of the car, why dont you take it to the track? You can strip your car & its safer.
Also, what happens if you have a flat tyre? You need your tools & spare tyre as its a long drive, just be prepared for worse case scenario.
Just take it easy & safe driving dude!

brendan1990
25-06-2010, 11:46 PM
ive done the scenic version many times, i know the road quite well so i wont have the problem of any surprise bends, and i would love to go on a track day but im afraid that if i fall off the track full throttle ill lose my baby. but i am going to my first track day at winton soon, just to check it out and see how things work, how safe it is etc. then ill decide if i will start track days or not

drsilliez
26-06-2010, 12:41 AM
... and i would love to go on a track day but im afraid that if i fall off the track full throttle ill lose my baby.

better than losing control and falling off the edge of the cliff and losing your baby that way..

and do this..

Leave the car the way it is & enjoy the Great Ocean Road.

STAiN MASTER
26-06-2010, 01:25 AM
If you want some advice, don't touch anything on the car just leave it, like the guys have mentioned above just go and enjoy the road, keep the money for some fuel and a nice lunch.

and remember drive safely, come Monday I don't want to hear about an s2000 on the news.

Si1enzio
26-06-2010, 01:31 AM
ive done the scenic version many times, i know the road quite well so i wont have the problem of any surprise bends, and i would love to go on a track day but im afraid that if i fall off the track full throttle ill lose my baby. but i am going to my first track day at winton soon, just to check it out and see how things work, how safe it is etc. then ill decide if i will start track days or not

Even better, do another scenic cruise :D
Its not that you know the roads, anything can happen dude.

As for track, take your time on the track. No need to go all out on the first run.
Get to know the track first, start slow then work your way up.

My advice is dont bother stripping your car to shave a few kgs, you probably wont feel much difference.
Just drive safely yo...!!!! :wave:

Si1enzio
26-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Btw, you going to see the apostles?
Last time i was there, there was 11, but i heard a few have dropped.

LEWD
26-06-2010, 02:24 AM
as said above, enjoy the drive. Removing parts from the car is unnecessary driving on a public road.

Stay safe.

brendan1990
26-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Btw, you going to see the apostles?
Last time i was there, there was 11, but i heard a few have dropped.

yeah probably will see them, i didnt make it that far last time though but we'll see.

and if you all recon i shouldn't touch my car, then ill leave it then most of you if not all are older than me so its probably good advice, the winton race day costs 30 bucks for me to have a go but do many people have accidents? i know for sure i wont be going to hard if i decided to enter it, but i was more going to see how the system works and how people drive cause i would assume allot of people would be taking their precious ride, but there would be others that have the money to buy a car just to race so they would be hammering along and not be as carefull as others.

STAiN MASTER
26-06-2010, 12:11 PM
You would prob have a greater chance of having an accident on the road rather then on the track if you behave ofcourse and if you do spin you'll just go off into the grass if their are no tire's or walls.

If you dont push beyond your limit you will be ok, stick to your line and signal other cars to go past if you feel your holding them up, not sure how winton works and if they would put you in a class depending on your experience, best thing to do is go have a look or vyets might be able to share some info about how track days work at winton.

brendan1990
26-06-2010, 12:19 PM
ok yeah i think ill send him a pm, another thing im affraid with the track day is doing harm to my engine or transmission, dont take this the wrong way but will a stock s2 be able to handle a good flogging for however many laps there are?

STAiN MASTER
26-06-2010, 12:25 PM
ok yeah i think ill send him a pm, another thing im affraid with the track day is doing harm to my engine or transmission, dont take this the wrong way but will a stock s2 be able to handle a good flogging for however many laps there are?

The S2000 is built for this very purpose lol. You can drive the car flat out for about 10-15min without any problems, Drive the car hard but dont bash the clutch or mash the gears be smooth and you wont have any issues, make sure you have plenty of bite left in your brake pads and all fluids are in check also have tires which have tread.

brendan1990
26-06-2010, 12:26 PM
all fluids and brakes are good, but rear tyres have only about 30% left.

STAiN MASTER
26-06-2010, 12:31 PM
all fluids and brakes are good, but rear tyres have only about 30% left.

You might want to replace them or you can use them for this first track day and just take it easy but if it were me, id change them as turning up to a track with tires which have no grip you might as well stay home, I havent heard of F1 cars or V8 supercars turning up to a track with tires which are worn.

brendan1990
26-06-2010, 01:03 PM
lol ok fair point ill see what i can do. maybe that intake will have to wait

AE092
26-06-2010, 01:57 PM
If your talking about July 3rd then that's a fun day at winton,
no timing done. It's generally for letting cars
on to see what it's about. As already been said, make sure your fluids are
all topped up and you cannot have enough grip or brakes

vyets
26-06-2010, 07:21 PM
LOL, dude worst thread ever, you don't need to take anything out to go GOR, its CRUISE road people go GOR with like trailers and shiet. Driving on GOR is like driving on any other road, make sure your car is SAFE, road worthy tyres/pads fluids etc. etc. Even when you go track you don't need to take out shiet man. I wouldn't even remove spare tools and jack and stuff, last time me and my friends went GOR he copped a flat tyre LOL what are you going to do then. No offence bro but your in way over your head..

I just left you an extremly long reply PM mate, read it .. TAKE MY ADVICE!

brendan1990
26-06-2010, 10:37 PM
well i went to honda today hoping they would be open to talk about getting a spare after what most of you guys said but no luck, all closed so ill have to try and leave work early during the week to get one. and aeo92 your right it is a fun day.

JamieP
27-06-2010, 02:22 PM
its only $30 to take your car down to winston? could somebody help me out with a bit more info on this?

and Im with the rest of the guys on here, take your time on the ocean road and enjoy it, leave all the hoon stuff for the race track. you dont have to drive like a grandma, you can still have fun and be responsible at the same time. The last time I went down the great ocean road some idiot almost cleaned me up on one of those blind corners, trying to take it as fast as he could and was driving in the middle of the 2 lanes and I had to swerve out of his way. You dont want to be that guy. sure you may know the road well, but if you cant see whos on the other side of those corners then what good is knowing the road well going to do you?

Enjoy your cruise mate and be safe.

brendan1990
27-06-2010, 06:52 PM
ok jamie just type in winton race course in google and it will come up with the track's home page then look for the calender link and it says on the 3rd there is a fun day for drivers to get a feel for how things work on a track, hopefully i can get work off and try it out for the first time =D also im back from my little trip now and i didnt go stupid but it was a fun time and i found this sweet as road that turns off from apollo bay which is twisty as through a big forest dunno what the roads called though i should of payed more attention, and i never overtake round a corner unless im 110% sure there is know one coming, because i was able to see round the corner before hand (if that makes sense) But overall things went well i went with a friend who has a 98 model liberty and it went alright i must say, damn AWD was quite handy, and i also have a much greater respect for my s2 every time i went round a corner whilst in the vetec range i barely flat footed it from fare of kicking it out in such tight spaces.

Si1enzio
27-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Glad you had a good day mate!

brendan1990
27-06-2010, 10:44 PM
thanks =)

STAiN MASTER
27-06-2010, 11:02 PM
ok jamie just type in winton race course in google and it will come up with the track's home page then look for the calender link and it says on the 3rd there is a fun day for drivers to get a feel for how things work on a track, hopefully i can get work off and try it out for the first time =D also im back from my little trip now and i didnt go stupid but it was a fun time and i found this sweet as road that turns off from apollo bay which is twisty as through a big forest dunno what the roads called though i should of payed more attention, and i never overtake round a corner unless im 110% sure there is know one coming, because i was able to see round the corner before hand (if that makes sense) But overall things went well i went with a friend who has a 98 model liberty and it went alright i must say, damn AWD was quite handy, and i also have a much greater respect for my s2 every time i went round a corner whilst in the vetec range i barely flat footed it from fare of kicking it out in such tight spaces.

Brendan boy, glad to hear you made it back in one piece, but honestly stuff like that you should really keep it to yourself, people of authority do go over the forums, we don't need intricate details about the drive, we all know what you mean so maybe just saying you had a 'spirited afternoon' would be sufficient. :)

-B18C2-
27-06-2010, 11:48 PM
ahh and excellent choice i love great ocean road.. make sure u stop by the around the twist lighthouse in aireys inlet :)

brendan1990
28-06-2010, 06:58 AM
ahh and excellent choice i love great ocean road.. make sure u stop by the around the twist lighthouse in aireys inlet :)

i know the lighthouse but never been in there, whats it like?.

and stain, note taken ive actually been told that before but forgot about it sorry =/

m3ntAL_l2
28-06-2010, 10:28 AM
nothings at the lighthouse... just a dead end road with a lighthouse at the end. wasnt too fascinating to me