PDA

View Full Version : HEEEELLLLPPP...... My car got wet........ on the inside.

WA-EG
26-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Ok, so I got in my car this evening and after driving for a little while started to feel like I pissed my pants. Got to my destination and got out to check whats happened.

Car has always smelt a little damp, but this is worst its been. Front seats are wet and so is carpet in front footwells. Perth's had a couple of mighty cold nights and its causing condensation like crazy (evening fogged up my guages) inside the car. So much so the back window was covered on the inside with water.

What I'm asking is if people can suggest any good ways of drying out the inside on my car without ripping everything out..... which is an option, but would prefer not too.....

Cheers

TheSaint
26-06-2010, 01:46 AM
this is one of those times i would love to help ... but i got no idea lol

other than getting it interior detailed than going over it with a hair-dryer ... than scrubbing down the underside .. masking it up ... and covering the whole thing in water proofing

i had holes in my boot (from a crappy tow bar) so i did the inside with sound deadening and temp/proof paint and the underside with rust proof primer and water proof paint

i also religiously garage my cars lol

good luck =)

vampzzz
26-06-2010, 02:30 AM
get a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and suck it all up. works a treat.

TheSaint
26-06-2010, 03:57 AM
autoglym interior shampoo + mothers protectant ftw =)

espionage85
26-06-2010, 04:59 AM
go to a carwash n use their vacume for $2 lol
i did it when the heater core blew up n pissed out water all over the passanger side of the old run around magna lol

sw1fty
26-06-2010, 10:46 AM
lay a few big towels out on your carpet and put something heavy like a bag of potatoes or something on top
sucks the water right up!
might have to turn the towels over after a while if its really wet

i did this when my window jammed open and i had to leave it overnight in the rain :(

EGB
26-06-2010, 01:36 PM
silica bags, great for long term, i keep them in all my cars to soak up moisture, under each seat and in the boot.

like this..

http://www.envirotronics.com.au/Moisture//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=214&category_id=53&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29

WA-EG
26-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys. Actually spoke to a car detailer this morning while I was out on a ride. He said use vacumm first then use rolled up towel and push into the seat with it. Just repeat the process over and over. had the car sitting in the sun all day and seems to have cleared a fair bit already..... :-) hopefully we have another sunny day tomorrow so I can attack it with the vacumm and towels....

thanks for the help guys. Those silica bags are awesome idea. Gunna get myself some of those.

TheSaint
26-06-2010, 08:10 PM
rained all day today .... so it will probably head up ur way 2moro

Raztaz
27-06-2010, 12:58 PM
then use rolled up towel and push into the seat with it..

ShamWow lol

WA-EG
28-06-2010, 12:20 AM
ShamWow lol

Oh man if only...... You'll say WOW with SHAMWOW

WA-EG
28-06-2010, 12:22 AM
rained all day today .... so it will probably head up ur way 2moro

Ahh bugger. Doesn't matter. Can't move or drive the car. My 6 month old battery decided to let go. So RAC have taken it away and will be bringing me a replacement.

Parsout
28-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey! Had a similar problem with my GF's little Festiva.

Solved it by parking the car in the garage under cover (it was raining) winding the windows down about 1cm, and putting one of those little fan-heaters on hot + low in the car (with an extension cord). It was dry as a bone after a little bit over an hour and hasn't shown any sign of moisture ages. The evaporated air slips out the gap at the top of the windows, taking the moisture with it!

D.

WA-EG
28-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey! Had a similar problem with my GF's little Festiva.

Solved it by parking the car in the garage under cover (it was raining) winding the windows down about 1cm, and putting one of those little fan-heaters on hot + low in the car (with an extension cord). It was dry as a bone after a little bit over an hour and hasn't shown any sign of moisture ages. The evaporated air slips out the gap at the top of the windows, taking the moisture with it!

D.

thats pretty much what i did minus the garage and the heater. had a nice sunny day on sat so parked it out on the street with windows slightly down. seemed to have cleared it a little. Still have to find out how the water is getting in though

UkuleleGod
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I have found with my EK, that the source of the condensation was a build up of rain water in the spare tire well. It leaks in through the rear lights. The leak in the foot wells could also be coming from a leak in the seal on the doors?
Hopefully that helps, there is nothing worse than sitting down in a wet car.

WA-EG
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
No water near spare tyre. The most annoying thing. We had fair bit of rain here the other day, and there is no water in the car. So I've got an intermittant leak lol.
Seems to have dried out now. Might check my seals and see if there are any gaps or holes

90LAN
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
just use a electric fan and keep all doors open
even take your seat out

your leak could be coming from the ac hose where the water drains from
check if it hasnt come loose

WA-EG
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
just use a electric fan and keep all doors open
even take your seat out

your leak could be coming from the ac hose where the water drains from
check if it hasnt come loose

Nah cant be air con. My seats were wet. Unless it was shooting out from the dash its gotta be coming in above the drivers seat.