PDA

View Full Version : Motor/ Halfcut storeage..

Vtecyo
26-06-2010, 03:43 AM
Hey guys

Just got afew questions.

Ive got a B18c2 sitting in my crashed dc2.

It still runs and starts fine. The radiator has been disconected and afew of the belts are abit torn up from the crash. ( but still run)

Ive been starting the motor about ever mouth or so to keep it moving and so nothing builds up or seizes. Ofcourse I only have it running for about 30 secs as the motor has no coolant and I dont want to over heat it.

It looks like it might be afew more mouths yet before I can rip it out and stick in in its new car.
Just woundering am I doing the rite thing or shal I do something different.

I know you can put some oil into the spark plug wholes to keep the cylinder lubed. This prevents the seals from drying out?
Am I wrecking the water pump by not running anything threw it? Is it ok for the coolant just to be sitting inside the motor?
Whats the best thing to do with it?

Thanks in advance :D

Luke

Zilli
28-06-2010, 11:51 AM
ive got mates that keep old ford motors/gearboxes/diffs etc, and they fill the motor to the brim with oil... to kep everything lubed.... i'd fill the motor/radiator with coolants too... the last thin you want is bits of the motor/cooling system exposed to the atmoshphere where rust can develop.

Vtecyo
01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
true thanks for the advice.
The Rad is broken thats why it isnt on the car. But i shal block it up.

Thanks

Anyone else ?

teh_mechanic
02-07-2010, 09:43 AM
yeah your best bet is to block the cooling system up and fill it with coolant to prevent corrosion in the cooling system. Apart from that, starting it every now and would be all that I'd do to get the oil moving around. If it was going to be ages your leaving it for and you want to fill it entirely with oil then make sure you leave it draining for a couple hours and take the spark plugs out when you crank it to start it (with a rag over the holes to stop the spray), or else the oil could compression lock in the cylinders. If its just a few months then really id just leave the oil normal and run it for 30 secs every couple weeks

ECU-MAN
02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
leave it alone

when the time comes pull it out and put it in another car

just keep water and moisture away from it ( close the hood if you can )