PDA

View Full Version : What to do if I hear a weird noise in the front of my car?

act_gooner
28-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Lately I have been noticing that when I'm in a low gear (no foot on the clutch) and the car jerks a little as I take my foot off the excelerator there is a pretty deep tapping noise as if something has come loose. Sometimes I notice is aswell as I take my foot on and off the clutch in 1st gear.
Question is, as it is pretty hard to explain and I have no idea what it is, how will I go about getting it checked out cheaply? Or what should I have a look at?
Thanks

Zilli
28-06-2010, 07:30 AM
engine mount?

is the sound occurring when you get on and off the gas? sorry if im misreading

act_gooner
28-06-2010, 02:25 PM
No on and off the clutch. The car was serviced not that long ago and the clutch was fine so I don't think its that. Its loudest though when you take the foot off the gas in first and the car jerks which makes me think that something is loose and causing a knocking sound.

Zilli
28-06-2010, 02:54 PM
check your engine mounts

RJL
28-06-2010, 04:48 PM
check your rubber bushings underneath your car, had the same problem. Could be your control arms, simply jack your car up, take your tires off and check if anything is loose or by shaking it a little until your hear the tapping sound or otherwise it also could be your engine mounts. Goodluck!

JohnO
29-06-2010, 01:52 PM
um i had the exact problem with my car too like first time heard something snapped/rattling then it became noticeable in the steering wheel with heavy vibrations when im driving on highways. as for 1st gear just getting off from a complete stop sounds occur on the right side of the car. all that rambling now what you can do is same as the above but also check the tie rods (rubber piece might have split), arm bushes, check for greasy leaks, check your right engine mount if there all fine then put the wheel on bolt it up shake it side to side if it moves then its the tie rod that needs replacing, shake it back and forth again if it moves then could be wheel bearings. Im starting bottom up so i got my wheels balanced and allinged and working my way up checking every possibility.

act_gooner
29-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll check the engine mounts and jack the car up with some mates later in the week to try and find out what the problem is.

DC28OY
29-06-2010, 03:18 PM
i have the same noise, put ur car in neutral and when u hold the clutch in the sound disappears and wen u release u hear the tapping sound, a mate sed it had sumfin to do
with the clutch release bearing or sumthing like that not sure but yea i havent got it checked yet. well i noe i started hearing that sound wen i hit sumfin under there front of the car reversing out
of a drive way :S

act_gooner
29-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah I started hearing it when I was driving along a main road at night and with no warning at all the road turned to dirt for resealing and the bottom of my car got absolutely ****ed.

JohnO
29-06-2010, 07:31 PM
um i think the clutch bearing is called the thrust bearing forgot to mention that aswell.

Lukey
29-06-2010, 09:32 PM
um i think the clutch bearing is called the thrust bearing forgot to mention that aswell.

there is thrust bearing and spigot bearing.

act_gooner
29-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Shiii, so much to learn lol.

duckey
29-06-2010, 10:31 PM
sounds like input shaft bearing mate. could also be engine mounts or even worse drive shafts might be on its way.

JohnO
29-06-2010, 10:58 PM
say if the car has had a hard life would most likely be the shafts or mounts cause ive always read off the ep3 guys that mounts needed changing

act_gooner
29-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Wouldn't say it has a hard life, it hasn't done many k's. Hopefully nothing serious.

DC28OY
30-06-2010, 09:31 AM
well all i noe is for me im pretty sure its the thrust bearing then, coz i can only hear the rattling sound wen i release the clutch, it sounds so ugly tho like my car is
gona breakdown at the lights lol ... so wat i do i jus hold the clutch in to shut it up lol

act_gooner
30-06-2010, 04:13 PM
^^Haha, thats what I do too.

Lukey
30-06-2010, 07:55 PM
you take ur car out of gear and sit in neutral at traffic lights?

act_gooner
01-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Yeah, most of the time.

WuackR
08-07-2010, 03:14 PM
well all i noe is for me im pretty sure its the thrust bearing then, coz i can only hear the rattling sound wen i release the clutch, it sounds so ugly tho like my car is
gona breakdown at the lights lol ... so wat i do i jus hold the clutch in to shut it up lol

Ha ! I had exact same problem. Its the input shaft bearings all worn (if u clutch in = sound gone) and output shaft bearing (if vice versa).
To fix, replace all bearings = sound gone. Hurts the wallet though, about >$1,600.00 (Inc GST) :(

WuackR
08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Bros, check...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?129951-clutch-gearbox-noise...-a-question-not-a-problem-)

Hope it helps ! :)

WuackR
08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh, and this one also..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?129866-DC5R-Whining-noise-when-cold...-help-please&p=2706144#post2706144

Goodluck ! :)

act_gooner
08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
^^ Thanks yo, flicked through quickly and I still don't know if its the same thing I have, might need to get it checked out :(.

WuackR
08-07-2010, 03:45 PM
All I know is that it can get worse whether you thrash your car or not. ie. hitting 'v-tecccc yo!'

Also, check your transmission/gearbox fluids/and other fluids, u may be lacking..

act_gooner
09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah, was going to check everything today, but after giving the car a massive wash and scrubbing the rims, I decided to leave it until tomorrow. haha.