PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal "clunk" HELP....

EG9
28-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Help needed... please!

Not sure if the two are related but have just recently had the master cylinder replaced in my EG and have now developed an intermittent "clunk" in the brake pedal when I sometimes have to brake a bit harder than normal. It will usually happen just the once and then disappear so is very difficult to try and demonstrate to anyone.

Along with the "clunk" there is a corresponding resistance in the pedal which actually feels like 2 pieces of metal getting stuck as they pass each other then braking free causing the "clunk" sound . Nothing appears to be interfering with the pedal movement externally and the car does not have ABS. Aside from the above the brakes are operating without any issue.

xclusive_eg8
28-06-2010, 01:55 PM
my EG8 does the same thing though I put it down to the drivers side UCA or LCA being bent... Play around with it a bit more, take more notice of where the sound is comming from

EG9
29-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I've managed to listen/see it happen while the car was stationary and I was under the dash and I'm pretty sure the noise coming from around the pedal area but not exactly sure where, could be the other side of the firewall, hard to tell.

There is a definite resistance to the pedal being pushed before the noise which is quite disconcerting when you do want to brake hard and it seems as if the pedal won't move for that initial split second.

xclusive_eg8
02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Sounds kinda dangerous bro. But sounds like a hydrolic issue, master/slave cylinder??