PDA

View Full Version : CRX, then S2000, parenthood. Such is Life!

flippantremark
29-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Hi all,

You won't have heard from me, but I've been watching for some time.

Please lend me your ear, so that I can tell you my tale.

My love affair with Hondas first started 9 years ago, when I came back from Europe after 18 months traveling, thinking "there's the overseas adventure I'd always wanted to have, now for the automotive adventure I've always wanted". I found a steady job and from the 'family' (read car loan fixed at term-deposit rates) I bought a 92 second gen CRX. I originally wanted a 1st gen MX5, but after hitting the VTEC range in the CRX, I couldn't go back.

So I had my CRX. And I loved her, utterly. I loved the short throw gear shifts, I loved the thrifty about-town trundling, but above all, I loved the open road, hi-revving lateral g-force rush. I had an awesome little car, and best of all I worked night shift at the weekends, so I had days to explore the Victorian country side, seeking out the best roads (if you see those signs depicting a motorcycle rider in distress, you've found a good road. Motorcyclists find all the good roads first, and are helpful enough to wrap themselves around a tree to mark it out for the rest of us) I wound through forested hills, mountain passes, coastal roads and desert straights. My time in my car was my life; everything else seemed like a background roar.

Then I landed my dream job. Working in the city, regular 9 to 5, but working in a field that benefited all mankind (I'm an IT guy supporting high-end scientists). My trips into the country became less frequent. I loved them when I could take them, but it was weekends only, past all the grey-nomads and through all the yuppy get-fit cyclists.

But I was not deterred. For years I'd dreamt of what I could do with a Honda S2000, the spiritual successor of the CRX. So one spring day, I bought one Monaco Blue S2000. The gear shift was everything I'd hoped for, almost telepathic, the steering was what I'd always wanted, direct and power neutral. The power train was what I'd always wanted. An engine that willingly gave more smd more until I was bouncing off the red-line. I was in heaven. Detractors bark about how the S2000 has no torque, but they don't understand. The S2000 is like driving a nice looking, civilised civic around town, yet with the option of letting one's bestial spirits loose and revving like a mad man out of town. An automotive Jekyll and Hyde existence.

So I had my S2000 for one glorious summer, I went over the snowy mountains and through the twisting forests. I knew what under and overseer meant, I found the limits to which I could push my machine. I passed many motorcyclists that summer, but never once saw one in my rear view mirror. I WAS the road. It's hard to explain. Maybe a more scientifically trained track racer can explain it better than me. But I was happy.

Then I got my girlfriend pregnant.

I was shocked and unprepared. Upon reflection, however, I realized that this was my next great must-have. I have had my overseas adventure, I have had my automotive adventure. Now it's time for the adventure of parenthood. I'm thinking that the first two will prove to be easy next to parenthood. But I must bear-up and go with it. Above all, this stage will be expensive, so I'm afraid I must sell my S2000 and buy something economical and sensible. Something with child-restraints...

For those of you S2000 drivers still in the automotive-adventure stage of life, I can only advise you to get out there. There are so many great roads in this country, and you have the car in which to enjoy them. But remember that it will not last forever, so make the most of it!

Love all!

flippantremark

euromandeluxe
29-06-2010, 03:09 AM
love the writeup - it even strikes me as inspirational, LOL.

congrats on being a soon-to-be dad!

acurabot
29-06-2010, 03:33 AM
even though i dont own a S2k, i might just go for a pointless drive 2moro in my car now. Nice writeup man. A+ :thumbsup:

vyets
29-06-2010, 07:06 AM
hehe, I always have and probally always will sometimes go for pointless drives I love em.
Good write up man :) and congrats!!!

JamieP
29-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Great write write up. it really makes you appreciate your ride when you read an article like this. It also left me with a great respect for you as well. In a society filled with so many dead beat dads, its great to see that some of us men are still about taking care of our responsability and willing to make great sacrafices for family. Congrats on the child to be and Im with vyet, Im forever going for pointless drives. I'll even purposely take the long route just as an excuse to stay behind the wheel just that little bit longer

LEWD
29-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Maybe we should hold a memorial cruise before you sell her!

alvin_R
30-06-2010, 12:58 AM
awesome job .....A+++ all the best for ur new advanture life ....

Snoop_gee
30-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Do u still have the CRX?
If so any details on it ?!?!

JamieP
30-06-2010, 01:27 PM
P.S Im so glad you decided against the mx5 and stuck with the hondas. no man under 45 or outside of a midlife crisis should ever own one. and even then their still a god awful car :P

vyets
30-06-2010, 10:50 PM
P.S Im so glad you decided against the mx5 and stuck with the hondas. no man under 45 or outside of a midlife crisis should ever own one. and even then their still a god awful car :P

They're actually quite a fun and nimble car if you ever get to drive one flat out.

euromandeluxe
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
true, not that I've driven one but the car shouldn't be judged by it's looks.

JamieP
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I've heard they can go alright when their done up....but I still wouldn't be caught dead in one

ludecrs
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
they're actually quite a fun and nimble car if you ever get to drive one flat out.

qft!!

tay113
24-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Its a great speech and wish you great parenting.Hope to hear from you the near future when you decide to make a come back as your speech is very inspiring .smile!
Here in adelaide, i am thinking of the same idea of yours the first instance i got my car last week.Looking for nice country drives and also looking hard out for the sneaky cameras too
In the CBD and inner suburb ,we have to remember the speed limits of 70,60,50,40,25 .Its good to tinkle our mind with the speed limit as it does keep us afresh.

Engin09
26-07-2010, 05:58 AM
nice :) reading this made me go old pacific highway lol so much fun ><