PDA

View Full Version : D16Y4 oil filter

Ph@t-G
29-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

Just want to ask people to see if they are facing the same problem as I am in trying to remove the damn oil filter for a D16Y4 on an EK1. I tried to turn it off from the top of the bay but obviously the lack of space meant I couldn't get an torque to turn it. I've tried using most, if not all, oil filter removal tools out there but still to no avail.

Before I go off and get myself a hydraulic jack and stands, is it easier to remove from the bottom of the engine bay or would I once again run into the same 'lack of torque for turning' problem?

Happy for suggestions and opinions.

Cheers.

EK1.6LCIV
29-06-2010, 09:38 AM
ha!

go to honda, bring $20 with you, buy the oem filter removal tool, if you dont have already, buy a ratchet and socket set from supercheap and win win :)

I remove it from the bottom :) if you can wait a week I will have done the oil and will take pics of how the tool fits

mugen_ctr
29-06-2010, 10:50 AM
yeah it sucks how honda put the oil filter in that place, but yea only real way without their tool, is to do it from underneath, jack the car up

flipfire
29-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Its easier to remove from the bottom but its also an awkward spot. Just make sure your face isnt below it when you loosen it.

When you install the new filter, make sure you put a film of oil on the seal and tighten it on by hand. This way it will be easy to remove the next time you service it.

na-118
29-06-2010, 11:53 AM
screw driver in between housing and bottom of filter smack it straight though and turn the screw driver

mytfoz
29-06-2010, 12:00 PM
screw driver in between housing and bottom of filter smack it straight though and turn the screw driver

agree with na-118 best n cheap way to remove.
once u crack it remove screwdrive and unwind by hand

Ph@t-G
30-06-2010, 09:05 AM
EK1.6LCIV, that would be great if you can post some pics man! I've got time to wait...

markismaximus
30-06-2010, 01:02 PM

may work but is a messy way to do it. after you've put a hole through it oil goes bloody everywhere. Wipe the filter and make sure you dont have oil on your hands and remove it by hand.

mrwillz
30-06-2010, 01:38 PM
if u want i got the OEM OIL Filter Remover Cap Tool
which i bought off EK1.6LCIV i think

PM ME as i didnt even get to use it, still in brand new unopened packaging.

na-118
30-06-2010, 01:40 PM
or just clean the filter thoroughly with a rag and some metho, grab a piece of good course sand paper and wrap it around and undo

cheapdouchebag
30-06-2010, 04:01 PM
just jack the car up dude, its a piece of cake from there.

grab one of these from supercheap/repco/bursons etc.
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00wCDtQUGcYIqN/Oil-Filter-Wrench-Automotive-Repair-Tools.jpg
grab it from underneath, and twist it off
remember

lefty loosey
righty tightey.

ALSO while you change ur oil filter ABSOLUTLEY MAKE SURE that theres no rubber sealing still stuck on the engine, otherwise when you screw the new oil filter back on it will leak, with a pop-bubble spitting noise which means ur oil is leaking from the oil filter area. also remember to grease up the rubber sealing ring on the oil filter with the new oil :)

if that sound happens, get a new oil filter. chances are that you have screwed the oil filter incorrectly cross-threading the oil filter which will be a bitch to take out and will dent your oil filter to an unsuitable for use state.

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
if u want i got the OEM OIL Filter Remover Cap Tool
which i bought off EK1.6LCIV i think

PM ME as i didnt even get to use it, still in brand new unopened packaging.

you never felt the joy of how easy it is lol, my goodness buddy, havent heard from yourself in ages hows things?

prob the best tool of the century next to the rear low control arm bushing tool I own lol