PDA

View Full Version : Installed my short shifter yesterday

reyesone
24-12-2004, 09:53 AM
I bought the one that monstaperformance was advertising in the traders section and all i can say is.....money well spent ! Bargain short shifter which gives that real sporty feel

I pretty much followed the DIY on TI.net except for one part .... I didnt take off any of my exhaust piping and just worked around it. It was heaps hard at first but in the end if I knew what I was doing then it would have been really REALLY easy
I would have done a DIY write up but I couldnt take any pictures so sorry guys

I'll try write up in steps how to do it

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Install Short Shifter
Required:
TOOLS
Socket Wrench 10mm and 12mm (mostly the 10mm. i cant remember if i used the 12mm much but i had it there)
Monkey Wrench
2 x Car Stands
A Car Jack
HTB (High Temperature Bearing) Grease
New Shifter

Steps:

1. Raise car as much as possible using stands to hold the car up not your jacks !!!

2. Unbolt shifter from shifter linkage

3. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the shift stabilizer bushing to the underside of the car

4. Follow the stabilizer bar to the tranny and remove the bolt that connects it to the tranny

5. Wriggle the whole stabilizer + shifter out from under the car
(by removing the whole bar out from under the car makes it much easier for the next step which i was stuck on for about 45 minutes)

6. On the stabilizer you will see that 2 bolts hold the shifter to the stabilizer. Use a monkey wrench to hold the oval shaped side and use a socket wrench for the nut (i found this the easiest way rather than using pliers)

7. Remove shifter from stabilizer

8. Remove the metal plate pulling over the "T" side of the shifter

9. Underneath the rubber boot there is a plastic ring. Pull the rubber boot towards the "T" side of the shifter and then remove the plastic ring by pulling it over the gear knob side of the shifter

10. To remove the rubber boot the easiest way is to pull it over the "T" side. i found this was easily done by carefully using a screwdriver to help pry the edges over. Be careful not to punch a hole through the rubber boot. Using grease also helps makes things easier

11. Once you have both the plastic ring and the rubber boot you need to put it on the new shifter. Make sure you grease up the ball part of the shifter. the way i did this was to put the rubber boot on the way i took it off, the slide the plastic ring down from the gear knob side of the shifter to the "T" side where the rubber boot is. Grease up the plastic ring. Get the plastic ring inside the rubber boot and grease the inside of the plastic ring. Slide both plastic ring and rubber boot over the ball part of the shifter.

12. Pretty much reverse steps to put back into the car

Pros : The shift is reduced so much and it gives a much more sportier feel. Gears just click into place and 2nd to 3rd is now the easiest gears to change into whereas before it was the hardest for me (quick shifting that is).
I'm sure I've gained about 5kW from installing this shifter (haha jk)

Cons : the shifter didnt come with a spacer so i couldn't install it straight away. after some thinking and some skateboarding i figured "why not use a bearing from skateboard wheels?" turns out it was a perfect fit !!
my centre console is heating up more than usual. I'm thinking its because the shifter is made of aluminium and doesnt have any paint on it unike the stock shifter and it is heating up the centre console area near the shifter. I might have to invest in some later.

reyesone
25-12-2004, 11:27 AM
can a mod please move this to the article/review section please? only if they see it fits the criteria

wynode
25-12-2004, 02:43 PM
can a mod please move this to the article/review section please? only if they see it fits the criteria
Done.....and nice write up :)