PDA

View Full Version : Kings springs Dead?

patto14
29-06-2010, 01:04 PM
hya guys installed some second has king springs few months ago now.
the front right suspension seems to be squeaking now on bumps or when i turn left
and get weight transfer to that side.

guessing i need new springs?

sinseven
29-06-2010, 01:15 PM
could be shocks

patto14
29-06-2010, 01:20 PM
yeah i just put a shock out of an ek it is alot stiffer then the stock eg shock i had in there was in better condition so hope not

tmy
29-06-2010, 01:46 PM
is the rubber that goes into the upper pillow mounts aligned properly?

patto14
29-06-2010, 01:48 PM
ill have to check it out
is that where the spring sits in the top hat kinda thing?

the susspension feels soft on that side aswell tho?

tmy
29-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Correct.

If it is noticeably soft then i imagine it is something else.

meatball
08-07-2010, 11:54 PM
it could be a busted shock. and the king springs are most probably sagged down when you bought it. so yeah could be the shock itself.

teh_mechanic
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
if its noticeably soft when you push down on it, and when you get a bit of a bounce going from pushing down on it it takes longer than one or two bounces to steady itself then the shock is busted

quangsuke
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
sounds like you didn't use bump stops in the shocks that you put in.
so im assuming your shocks bottomed out due to the kings springs.

mugen_ctr
09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd guess he put in super lows, as normal kings springs low shouldnt do that, 1.5 drop is the most the stock shockers can handle

jdm_b16a
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
As everyone has alluded to, there are a variety of reasons why this situation might occur:

Firstly, the springs purchased were already past their Use By date.

Secondly, they may have copped a bit of abuse by the previous owner(s), and have compressed over time. Remember, that springs are wound and tensioned in the factory, and that over time they lose that tension, causing them to sag.

Thirdly, springs are model specific so using springs from a different model car to the car you install them in can cause problems with weight distribution.

You should always invest in new bump stops when servicing suspension.

I recently purchased two sets of standard DA Integra front suspension setups (from a wreckers) and found in each set one of the front shafts was bent. Each one only had standard springs so imagine how much extra load there is on the standard shock with LOW/VERY LOW springs.

I was also told by a rally workshop (where suspension is a number 1 priority) that most of the local spring manufacturers use lower quality raw materials (read: steel) when making springs but that may have been just the shop trying to promote their own product (even though I wasn't buying suspension).

Peter

VT3C
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
LOL "springs past their used by date".. you can wear a spring out by over-loading etc.. and yes a spring's springyness will deteriorate every time it is compressed and therefore has alimited lifespan.. but they dont really have a used by date.. if they sat on a shelf in the box for 47 years they'd still be as bad as they were the day they were made. if u use them for 47 years they will be saggy floppy pieces of junk.

is your top-hats.. if u used super-lows, they are essentially the same as chopped springs and tend to float around and this can cause the rubber spacer/liner of the hat to either become out of alignment or damaged and then the spring will just move around even more and cause noises and vibrations etc.

aaronng
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
If you are using stock shocks, then they would probably be leaking by now since lowered springs can put the shock outside of its specified travel range. Look into your wheel well with a torchlight to look for oil on the shocks.