View Full Version : squeeky shock or spring help

patto14
29-06-2010, 03:58 PM
squeeky shock or spring
whats the best what 2 determan witch on it is

so i can replace it

riruiz_88
29-06-2010, 06:55 PM
your best changing all 4 at the same time, also it would be a safer option. as having only 1 brand new shock/spring combo would only create more problems for you because of the imbalance of shock/rebound and other factors.
dont cheap out on suspension, its the main component that sticks your car to the road. but im not saying to go get coilovers. just somethin to think about man

patto14
29-06-2010, 08:50 PM
thats what i plan on doing all for but dnt wanna get new springs if its the shocks stuffing up i want to work out if i need to change the shocks OR the springs

riruiz_88
30-06-2010, 03:38 PM
well a spring would probably only squeek if the perches are seized for some reason. do you know if the shocks have ever been changed?

patto14
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
yeah i put second handys outa a 2000model ek in there after my stock eg ones died

teh_mechanic
02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
pretty rare for a shock to squeak but yeah stranger things have happened. they will normally just leak when they are on the way out or you can just push down on the corner of the car and get a bit of a bounce going, the car should steady itself within about two bounces, this shows that your shock absorbers are doing their job

Springs will normally just sag, or if they arn't sitting in their perch properly you may get a squeak, again its unlikely they would of moved though. Spray some silicone spray up there around where they mount in the strut body and see if your squeak goes away.

Most likely cause of a suspension squeak is a worn or not properly lubed when installed bushing. Most common one to cause noise is the rear trailing arm centre bush, if you dont know which one that is do some searching, find a picture then look at yours, easy to tell as the bush will be torn

patto14
02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
all ready hit it with the lube ficed it 4 now :)

bennjamin
02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
all ready hit it with the lube ficed it 4 now :)

Noise WILL come back in time.

You need to replace the upper or lower rubber sleeves , or upper spring seats etc.
Or if there isn't one - consider to install aftermarket top or bottom rubber perch moulds to quieten down the spring

dougie_504
02-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I have 17's and my whole setup squeeked. Upgraded to some second hand Skunk2 Pro S at the back and Pedders black shocks with kings at the front :)

migoreng
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
i think cold weather/winter causes all sorts of weird squeaks/noises.