PDA

View Full Version : Would it be worth bringing over a NZDM Jazz to Oz?

OZHBlue
29-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone,
We're in NZ and planning on heading over to Oz in a couple of years. Wondering if it's worth bringing over a GE Jazz S (base model) with me. It's a bit different to the GLi as it has automatic climate control, 6 airbags, mirror indicators and I'm sure some other options that the average ADM Jazz GLi wouldn't.
What kind of compliance headaches would I face bringing in a NZDM Jazz, if any?

Cheers,
Blue

KummaZ
29-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Not worth it imo.

Off the top of my head you have to do the following for a personal import:

-Proof that you have owned and used the car for the last 12 months (rego papers, invoices for repairs etc, insurance)
-Proof that you have indeed lived in NZ for the last 12 months so I guess bills, passport etc..
-You have to pay for shipping and all those associated costs (insuring the shipping etc).
-Compliance costs, not any headaches if your car is stock but it will still cost you to get it complied. If its not stock then you'll need to make sure all the modifications are legal here and go through that whole process of engineering etc.

Also I believe you will get slugged with import duty and GST which would be the most expensive part.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I'd sell the car and buy a new one over here :)

If you want more info contact someone like J-Spec Imports and I'm sure they can give you the complete rundown (as could any reputable vehicle import company).

OZHBlue
30-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Seriously? Doesn't make sense to hit residents bringing personal imports with GST and import tax. Just doesn't make sense after proving it's your personal vehicle and owned for 12 months. Do you have to pay GST when you sell/buy a used vehicle (privately)? Completely understandable if it was imported for sale, but not a personal car.
I've heard of a few cars being shifted back and forth between Oz and NZ but don't know anyone personally, though I'll ask around on the NZ Honda forums.

There are only three processes by which vehicles purchased overseas can be imported into this country. In all cases, the owner must first apply to the Australian Federal Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government for a permit allowing conditional importation.

Vehicle Safety Standards
GPO Box 594
Canberra ACT 2601

On release from Customs and Quarantine, the vehicle requires an inspection by an Authorised Person approved by the respective State Transport, to check for compliance with a number of Australian Design Rules and for Modification Plate.

1. PERSONALLY IMPORTED VEHICLES

Conditions are stated in the application form available from any State transport office. The most important being that the vehicle was owned and registered for twelve months or more in the country of origin. Any year, make or model vehicle may be accepted under this scheme. This process may involve the allocation of a new 17 digit vin/chassis number by State Transport for vehicles 1989 onwards. A second plate is then requested from the sole Australian supplier, Niddrie Nameplates. Once this is affixed to the vehicle, a roadworthy certificate can be issued by an approved Inspection Station, assuming safety checks have been cleared.

This procedure is called LO3.

The vehicle can then be registered following normal procedures.
EDIT - Have come across the customs site, looking like 5% duty and 10% GST. Don't get to claim back the NZ GST unless a business vehicle, and don't get to import them unless they're personal... catch 22.

FitRS
30-06-2010, 09:31 PM
NZ Jazz is JDM FIT.

It's baffling why Australia needs to protect it's car industry when it's rubbish and stops us from getting original Honda cars.

Back on topic..it's probably not worth it. The costs and hassels for essentially an A-B car.

The only time you'd do it is if you had tonnes of money and did not mind the inconvenience of going through all the red tape and have actually lived in Japan or NZ.

OZHBlue
30-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Thinking of bringing over two cars at the same time, double the reward for the same amount of red tape. Still doesn't save on duty fees and GST, but REALLY want to bring over my CM2 Accord Euro Wagon so might as well do both in a 40 foot container. Some people prefer true JDM and I have at least one of them - suppose the Jazz is too, kinda - so might as well bring them if I have the chance. Isn't there much of a following of JDM in Oz?

FitRS
30-06-2010, 09:43 PM
There is. But because of the crap we have to deal with, most of us give up and settle with the non JDM and the mod it to look like JDM.

Nepolian
30-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Having read all that, Its not that much work if you find a broker who will do it. You already meet a lot of the required criteria to the personal import.

End of the day, you come to Aus and you'd still need to purchase a car.....so it may not be a bad idea!

I'd say look into it. Its really not that hard!