PDA

View Full Version : Advise Required....EM1

amant02
30-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Sup vtec lovers

I just gave up on my old gearbox and got a b18c gearbox, is it normal for me to feel like my car is slow? cos it certainly feels slow. Also i know the ratio has changed i used to sit on nearly 4k rpm doing 100km on 5th gear now i sit on just above 3k rpm. But i didn't think this would've made this big of a difference.

Anyone done this swap and have more info please post. If anyone needs details on the gearbox swap feel free to pm me ill show u the prices and pass the info to you on what changes has to be made for the 1.8 liter gearbox to fit ur 1.6liter.

mugen_ctr
30-06-2010, 12:26 AM
There is a reason why honda choose short gear ratio on the B16 than B18, hence why maybe you should mayb opted for a B16 gearbox replacement instead.... B18 has more torque an power so its easier to pull in longer gear ratios, were as what you done was effectively reversed the effect...
And dont quote me, but with a B18 gearbox, u maybe at disadvantage at take off's with longer gears, not jus street, but drag and track... if u can change ur final diff that might be better solution to ur problem...

Look at WRC cars, very short gears, but go like stink...........

amant02
30-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Yup i couldnt agree more. They are longer, so changing the final drive would effectively change this? Im currently pretty happy with the ratios saving me petrol lol. Its just when you u hit it, not getting the roar of vtec just getting something that err squealing in a sense. Is it normal for my car to be chucking out black shit from the exhaust? it never used to do that till this gearbox swap.

PS i also changed all fluids and filters during this swap as i couldn't resist seeing my car on the hoist

mugen_ctr
30-06-2010, 04:39 PM
If you get the correct final drive gear... if im not mistaken the Typer is shorter than Vtir final
With ur exhaust smoke, im not sure as well, lol but with turbo cars, this normally means its running rich, causing black smoke to come out when you push it... it could be the case