PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal leaking?

migoreng
30-06-2010, 10:56 AM
just asking for some quick opinions.
a new exedy heavy duty clutch and genuine rear main seal was installed (well i hope it was) 2 years ago/50,000km ago.

i find it hard to believe if someone told me mine is leaking. is the seal prone to leaking or should it last a long time?

Nepolian
30-06-2010, 07:57 PM
just asking for some quick opinions.
a new exedy heavy duty clutch and genuine rear main seal was installed (well i hope it was) 2 years ago/50,000km ago.

i find it hard to believe if someone told me mine is leaking. is the seal prone to leaking or should it last a long time?

It may be possible. Depends on whether it was fitted properly etc...

Get second opinion I say!

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
its not that hard to have a bad fit, mines lasted up until this point, one expensive job to fix, unless it's leaving huge puddles on the floor I wouldnt be too concerned

sure it's not the sump gasket? I'd buy one of those as well if you were to do the rear main again

migoreng
01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
its not that hard to have a bad fit, mines lasted up until this point, one expensive job to fix, unless it's leaving huge puddles on the floor I wouldnt be too concerned

sure it's not the sump gasket? I'd buy one of those as well if you were to do the rear main again

i get no drops or puddles under the transmission when i drive out of the garage, only a few drops of oil under the sump plug/timing belt cover.
previously i had oil drops under transmission and sump every night. i replaced the cam plug and distributor o ring and they stopped leaking. i guess those seals were leaking down behind around the vtec solenoid and engine block. now i only have to deal with a timing belt/sump leak but for someone to tell me my rear main seal is leaking annoys me...

i definately have to get a second opinion...time to visit hannys again :)

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
well there's not many other places for leaks to check apart from:

a small o-ring above the oil filter
oil pump o-ring
rear main
crank seal
and sump seal itself

valve cover not leaking? most places dont replace them during timing belt services, even though they cost peanuts to replace lol

migoreng
01-07-2010, 11:59 AM
you wouldn't believe how many trips i have done to the mechanic over the last year to check for leaks..it's bloody annoying...

valve cover gasket and bolts are not leaking. i can't not feel any oil around the edge. i have torqued all the valve cover bolts properly so they are not leaking.

oil filter o ring has already been replaced even though it never leaked.
timing belt was done late last year. even until today i'm not sure whether every single front seal was replaced. maybe the mechanic changed the cam and crank seals only and forgot everything else? auto tensioner and water pump was replaced. i know for a fact the oil pump hasn't been changed yet...

if the oil pump is in fact leaking it would suck...i should have paid a couple hundred more to get every front seal changed last year.
by the way i'm loosing half a litre of oil every 1000km. i get a few drops of oil on the garage overnight so i can imagine how much oil is actually leaking while the car is running because of oil pressure and vtecing... lol

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I had the same problems lol

but mines done nearly 300.000kms

next time the timing belt is done I'm going to see visually him change the crank seal properly or at worst book it in with Honda and dump off a small bank roll.

but there's a lil o-ring above the oil filter that can leak, I've got all the parts for the 300,000ks service already, tempted to change bearings as I've read that they too can make a rear main seal leak if they are worn