PDA

View Full Version : To keep Abs or not?

mugen_ctr
30-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Since the last cruise, which was last week, iev noticed that the rear drums just dont cut it no more, and im seriosuly thinking off gettin rid of em by end of year, which leads to the question, since keeping Abs is such a bitch on these (ej8) swapping over to Ek4 or VTIr brakes, should i jus get rid of it completely? and jus run normal disc brakes of other Ek1?
Would it be wise, or will it haunt me later on down the track???

dougie_504
30-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Personally I think ABS is overrated. Once I was in my dad's car and he had to jump on the brakes to avoid a collision and we nearly crashed into someone's rear...the tyres kept rolling and we weren't able to apply full brake pressure because of it.

So yeah, my opinion is that you're better off without it. I don't think it's so awesome and I don't trust it much from experience although somebody else will surely have a different opinion/experience.

grifty
30-06-2010, 07:06 PM
ABS is meant to keep the tyres rolling so you can take necessary action to try and avoid a crash, eg. swerve away from danger

Jye
30-06-2010, 09:43 PM
roll or slide. *Shrugs*

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I'd as a minium get some different pads or better front rotors first, what else is done on your car now in terms of tyres & handling dept?

what sort of cruise/mountain/scenic route is this? more a hill climb or downward descent?

~Sp33~
01-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Since the last cruise, which was last week, iev noticed that the rear drums just dont cut it no more, and im seriosuly thinking off gettin rid of em by end of year, which leads to the question, since keeping Abs is such a bitch on these (ej8) swapping over to Ek4 or VTIr brakes, should i jus get rid of it completely? and jus run normal disc brakes of other Ek1?

What makes you think it's the drums that aren't pulling their weight?

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd pull the drums off also and see how much meat is left, but then again driving style is a big factor :) (example: this guy at my work has to get new rotors and pads for his mazda nearly yearly as he brakes like a cab (high speed, sudden aburpt stops) all the time in his auto lol)

in mine I destroy tyres before anything else as I use my engine to assist in the braking alot of the time, with timed braking when its needed, not at the last minute :)

noobcake
01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Personally I think ABS is overrated. Once I was in my dad's car and he had to jump on the brakes to avoid a collision and we nearly crashed into someone's rear...the tyres kept rolling and we weren't able to apply full brake pressure because of it.

So yeah, my opinion is that you're better off without it. I don't think it's so awesome and I don't trust it much from experience although somebody else will surely have a different opinion/experience.

I don't know about his situation, but in my experience ABS will save you from collisions at moderate speed I've during the stage of 1mph - 12mph ABS would not work. Without ABS you would lock up the wheels if you add too much pressure on the brake pedal hence you would skid forward without control of the steering wheel, If you're a powerslide master/ drift master then you would keep the drums. I recommend you to upgrade to brake disc!

tracking? i honestly don't know!

EK1.6LCIV
01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
it's a balance of many variables I find that makes mine work well in my daily/weekend treks

wheel size (with my oem wheels the smoke that they produced on the half circuit was evident that I needed to get at least 15s for ventilation, this could be your problem?)
decent tyres (not the dearest tyres around but something with a good daily wet weather compound, just get whatever is great in the wet)
good suspension components
brake pads
disc and drum condition
fluid condition

Twincam16
01-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I guess the problem is you'll only realise whether it was a good/bad decision once you need them, which is a bit of a risk for an older Honda.

VT3C
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
ABS or NOT argument aside, just FYI removal of ABS is technically making your car "unroadworthy" as your car had ABS fitted from the factory in accordance with ADR's and therefore is illegal to remove them - same for airbags.. nobody is going to know but IF you had a hardcore accident etc and insurance is involved, you may come up 2nd best :(

[[d a n n y]]
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
ABS or NOT argument aside, just FYI removal of ABS is technically making your car "unroadworthy" as your car had ABS fitted from the factory in accordance with ADR's and therefore is illegal to remove them - same for airbags.. nobody is going to know but IF you had a hardcore accident etc and insurance is involved, you may come up 2nd best :(

good point
also removing ABS is not recomended
in rain you can lock up easily
ABS prevents you from lock up
Sure, some would say pedal control but reality is..
if something happens to you suddenly you only act with your instinct
ie smashing the brake pedal,
in that case you'll surely lock your brakes with out ABS and cause a accident that could have been avoided

~Sp33~
01-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Another point worth noting, and i can only use what i know but on EF's the drums are lighter than the discs and will pull the car up faster (but are more prone to fade faster).

Food for thought.

[[d a n n y]]
01-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Ek4 has ABS doesnt it?
get the whole EK4 hubs and units
and plug and play your ABS unit to the new bigger brakes

[[d a n n y]]
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Another point worth noting, and i can only use what i know but on EF's the drums are lighter than the discs and will pull the car up faster (but are more prone to fade faster).

Food for thought.
dunno about EF/ED's
but on EG's drums tend to get smashed and lack the stopping power
iv noticed this after changing the drums to disc on the back of my EG

mugen_ctr
01-07-2010, 08:51 PM
hrrmmm... good arguments, an yea didnt reliaze removing abs would mean unroady :(, so guess back to the drawing board......... Ek4 brake swap is a bit hard to find in junk yards....but ill keep a look out
Drums maybe lighter, but on twisty roads an track use, there not effective and heat up to fast

Cheers guyz

Wheels: 16 by 7
Tires: bf goodrich G-force
Suspension: king springs low on stock sus 1.5 drop
Brake pads: Oem
Others: Stock rear swaybar and front

~Sp33~
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
You'll feel a world of difference just by upgrading your pads.

mugen_ctr
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
tru. i think ill change the pads and go from there, an at later stage, upgrade to discs

Killa From Manila
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
You'll feel a world of difference just by upgrading your pads.

x2 this

[[d a n n y]]
01-07-2010, 09:09 PM
and the king springs can be improved with sumthing else.

mugen_ctr
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
yea thats tru, but i plan on swapping to coil-overs next year, so for now its more purely for looks, but yea they do improve on handlin over the stock spring, im not sure what the spring rates are, but def better

Recommendation for pads/shoes?

stndrd
02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
also braided brake lines. one of the best upgrades you could do. along with some castrol super dot 4 response brake fluid for the street, the difference is noticable straight away

Killa From Manila
03-07-2010, 11:05 AM
doesnt braided lines just effect the brake pedal feel, not actual stopping power?

EK1.6LCIV
03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
yea thats tru, but i plan on swapping to coil-overs next year, so for now its more purely for looks, but yea they do improve on handlin over the stock spring, im not sure what the spring rates are, but def better

Recommendation for pads/shoes?

you wont know yourself when you put decent dampeners in :)
Im just running slotted from dba rotors and stock pads with oem fluids and oem stock shoes, they last for ages and do their job well

with this car its really all how you set up the suspension and the right good normal single directional tyres, does my 450-500km loops well enough :)

mugen_ctr
03-07-2010, 02:06 PM
braided lines eliminate the spongy feel, unless you have good brakes setup, and do track days, braided lines are nothing more than a just a want but dont need expense....

Tires are all good, single direction, but i wish the wear rate was better, looks like im gonna be getting new tires by next at this rate

Mikecivic78
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
yes, of course drums will fade earlier. And I do believe that ABS helps. It saves asses and avoids accidents. Keep it.

e240
09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Since the last cruise, which was last week, iev noticed that the rear drums just dont cut it no more,..?

Just how hard were you driving on a "cruise" ? LOL

Your Dad (or yourself) can control the brakes at full brake pressure? LOL x infinity... The ABS was probably what stopped you guy's from crashing in the first place by NOT allowing a panic full brake pressure...

People think that ABS is some instant magic stopping device, and when they don't understand how it works, they think it "impedes" their driving "skill". Even with ABS, you will need some distance to stop. The Wheels MUST keep rolling for the brakes to work effectively and thats what ABS does, thats why "the tyres kept rolling". When the tyres stop rolling, and you still have forward momentum, you go into a slide and the braking distance increases.

If I had ABS in my car, I'd never remove it if the car's a street car because in 99.9% of the time, when ABS has engaged, you have panic'ed braked and without ABSm you sure as hell won't be able to control the car.

Mikecivic78
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Just how hard were you driving on a "cruise" ? LOL

Your Dad (or yourself) can control the brakes at full brake pressure? LOL x infinity... The ABS was probably what stopped you guy's from crashing in the first place by NOT allowing a panic full brake pressure...

People think that ABS is some instant magic stopping device, and when they don't understand how it works, they think it "impedes" their driving "skill". Even with ABS, you will need some distance to stop. The Wheels MUST keep rolling for the brakes to work effectively and thats what ABS does, thats why "the tyres kept rolling". When the tyres stop rolling, and you still have forward momentum, you go into a slide and the braking distance increases.

If I had ABS in my car, I'd never remove it if the car's a street car because in 99.9% of the time, when ABS has engaged, you have panic'ed braked and without ABSm you sure as hell won't be able to control the car.

Very True.

I'll put it out there, My Abs on my Em1 (and ej8 on my previous car) have saved my arse in the past and stopped me doing a rear-ender. Thats a solid fact.

Alvis
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't have ABS in my Civic, so i can't really say; but i agree with the other guys that in the long run it's best to leave it as it came from the factory in case you do have an insurance claim - I don't know what other components you have suspension wise, but I'd probably look at upgrading the fronts - I assume these are disks. Upgraded pads, slotted rotors and regularly bleed/change brake fluid.

Most of your braking power is at the front yeh?