PDA

View Full Version : tail light conversion?

elude
24-12-2004, 10:26 PM
gday fellers

is it possible to swap early 1991 prelude tail lights with the 88-89? cause they appear the same shape...but look alot cleaner with the clear indicators rather than the orange ones :rolleyes:

[stealth]
25-12-2004, 12:10 AM
can u not clear out the orange indicators?

flipmods
25-12-2004, 07:03 AM
Yes can be done but to do it properly you will need a new boot, bumper, and frame that the lights bolt up to. Not a easy job. Good luck.

Redteg
30-12-2004, 08:41 AM
If you want to do it, do it properly. You need to change the rear metal frame (as Flipmods said) the lights and bumper bolt onto so that you aren't left with any holes and gaps.

How do I know? Someone tried to do it to the 89 prelude my g/f bought. I'm currently waiting to buy a 89 bumper (I have the lights) so I can take off the 90-91 bumper and lights. You can just bolt on the boot, bumper and lights, but you'll have to fill a ton of holes to reduce the noise and exhaust gases which come through the back :(

spiller
30-12-2004, 07:09 PM
']can u not clear out the orange indicators?

Im with that. Is it possible to do that and then spray the inside of the indicator that clearish colour? The clear look is heaps better!

Redteg
30-12-2004, 09:17 PM
']can u not clear out the orange indicators?The plastic is orange itself, there is no inner piece as such which can be removed.

spiller
30-12-2004, 10:29 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking too.

Damn theres no easy way to do anything :thumbdwn:

bumography
31-12-2004, 12:36 AM
i've seen quite a lot of VN commodores with faded rear lights that are all white.
maybe u can try exposing your lights in the desert for a week or two.
:D

spiller
02-01-2005, 05:26 PM
']can u not clear out the orange indicators?

I was browsing 3g.com and found this page http://www.prelude3g.com/

The info needed is under "Exterior" then "red-out tail lights". Obviously instead or red out you want clear out so it may be possible if transparent paint is available in the clear sort of colour rather than candy apple red.

flipmods
02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Clear coating your orange lenses still makes them orange.:p

I was browsing 3g.com and found this page http://www.prelude3g.com/

The info needed is under "Exterior" then "red-out tail lights". Obviously instead or red out you want clear out so it may be possible if transparent paint is available in the clear sort of colour rather than candy apple red.

spiller
03-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Clear coating your orange lenses still makes them orange.:p

Sorry, i didnt mean a clear coat as such. Rather I meant a clear looking colour; the easiest comparison is to the colour of Lemon Cordial, hehe. But i suppose if the colour is that light, the orange will probably still show through?

phatt_lude
04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Why not just buy a 90-91 prelude and shove on a 88 bumper :).....Hey redteg is you gf car a white prelude, always parked out the front on stoney creek road with the rear light conversion?

phatt_lude
04-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Front bumper that is :P..... Btw flipmods how much time and money did it cost to do your skyline conversion

flipmods
05-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Why not just buy a 90-91 prelude and shove on a 88 bumper :).....Hey redteg is you gf car a white prelude, always parked out the front on stoney creek road with the rear light conversion?I was gonna ask the same thing, I see the white one all the time. As for the rears, price cost as much as you can get the lights for but the hardest part is modifying them to fit. And that will take alot of time, I don't think anyone is willing to do the labour unless you can do it yourself.

91'lude
09-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I always wondered about the clear light conversion, hence it had to be the series 2 for me, because the difference is absolutely phenominal.

Although tho, the orange looks very bad mainly because of its condition, racinghonda's got a small hole drilled in his to let out the condensation, he has cleaned inside the lights themselves, and they dont look nearly as bad as what some do....

I think if you tried to make clear ones they would just look crap.

I dont know anywere u could actually pay to do the modification, but it would be rather cool if you could. Would make alot more people buy series 1's so you get the best of both worlds and there cheaper.

Redteg
23-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Why not just buy a 90-91 prelude and shove on a 88 bumper :).....Hey redteg is you gf car a white prelude, always parked out the front on stoney creek road with the rear light conversion?
Ye thats the one, damn lights, make me want to ram the car whenever I pull up behind it. I've been trying to put a ozhonda sticker on it but she doesn't let me, I'll do it secretly one night...

You can't even swap the bumpers between the series! I.e. I put on the 88 lights I bought for it and tried to reinstall the 90-91 bumper and it didnt fit, although it would be fine if I shaved the top of the newer bumper.

Anyone have a nice white 88 bumper? I pay cash...