PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to VIC from WA

johnny5
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey guys just a quick question, hope you can help.

Most likely I'll be relocating to VIC within the next six months and thinking of bringing my car over from WA. Just a bit concerned if my car needs to go through pits or anything like that?

I've got a 94 DC2 Vtir with basic mods IHE with pod filter, koni shocks and eibach sportsline springs (no issues with ride height), VAFC, recaros... I guess my main concern is the fact that I've got a dummy cat... obviously I wont pass emmisions test(?)

I guess my main point is if its easier to bring my car over to VIC or just sell my car and get myself another one in VIC? (The car is registered under my name if that helps).

Did a search on Interstate Vehicle Registration on vicroads website: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/NewToVictoria/InterstateVehicleRegistration.htm and it does not mention anything about sending your car through pits, etc...

Can anyone shed some light into this for me? Thanks for your help in advance!

dciisir
03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Depends on how much you love your car :D

I had similar questions a week or so back when I was thinking of purchasing a vehicle interstate and bringing it back. From the answers that I got, any vehicles coming to Vic will require an RWC or Road Worthy Certificate. I'm looking at the RWC paper here and this is what they check for

- Wheels and Tyres
- Steering and suspension
- Brakes
- Brake Performance / Level
- Parking Brake
- Seats and Seat Belts
- Lamps, Signals, Reflectors, etc
- Exhaust and Emission Control
- Windscreen and Windows
- Windscreen Wipers, Washers etc
- Body and Chassis
- Engine and Driveline
- Other Items
- Modifcations

I know there are places who do only a few checks coz I have received RWCs that have not met the above. Things like my exhaust being too loud or my car being too low. It is different from place to place and depends on who you know as well. I think they really just need to make sure the more important stuff (tyres, brakes etc) meet the required level. Otherwise just buy a highflow cat before you come down.

johnny5
03-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply man!

Sigh, unfortunately I really do love my car despite her lil hiccups here and there hence the post here :D

Not too sure but I guess for your situation is a lil different as you're purchasing a vehicle from Interstate and bringing it over? Whereas for me the vehicle is already registered in WA under my name and I'm simply relocating to VIC? I had a mate who relocated from SA to VIC (stock Celica) and he did mention that he did not have to deal with RWC or pits because the car was already registered under his name.

Tyres would be an issue but I will be fitting some RE001s if it means that I get to bring my car over to VIC so thats one crossed off my list!

Exhaust is from stock ITR, I've just got a free flow muffler with stock ITR muffler tip cos I want my car to be as quiet and stock as possible so I'm pretty confident noise is not an issue, it would be the EMISSION for sure :(

Not sure about the pod filter though... heard VIC is pretty strict on things like that compared to WA?

dciisir
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
With the pod filter I have heard different things. I got pulled over by a cop and got a defective sticker for the car being too low and a pod filter. So I raised it and put the stock filter on and took it back to Vicroads to have it inspected. When I was there I asked the person inspecting my car about the pod filter and he told me it is fine and that when cops give out defective stickers for them, it just caused the ppl at vicroads more problems. I have had pod filters in all my cars before (5) and been inspected many times and only ever got a defective sticker once and it was only riding on top of the other major defect which was the car being too low.

EG30
03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
you moving to Vic permanently Johnny?

If you are you might as well sell your car in Perth and use the $ to buy one of many interesting modded cars over in the East I'd say.

johnny5
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
@ dciisir: hmm.. that sounds really encouraging then, my car isnt that low as what I initially expected it to be. The SRI I have with the pod filter looks very defectable :p

@ Lee: Yea man, most likely will be relocating within the next six months. Still waiting for your call to go tune my VAFC with Zac!

Sell my car? That would be the last resort as you would know that its been a long hard road to even get my car to where it is now... too much memories and love for the car thats given me so much joy :) It would be a very sad day if I were to part with it.

Its definitely been a very tempting thought for me to get something else over East but I'm not sure how much I would get from selling my own at the moment which is I guess the biggest factor as to why I'm more willing to ship it over rather than sell it here and get something over there. But I guess if its too much of a hassle I'll just to go down that route and get something much quicker over East! :D

EG30
04-07-2010, 12:20 AM
still havent got my car tuned yet, hope to do it in next few weeks and will book you in as well.

like a girlfriend, you might have good experiences and memories with one, but the next one could well be better still, or worse.

johnny5
04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
@ Lee: hahaha true true... but yea, hope I get this all sorted out easily. Will certainly wait for your call if all goes well.

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to ship my car over? The cheapest alternative? Heard its about 1k?

EG30
04-07-2010, 11:54 PM
it's cheaper to ship cars from Perth to East than the other way round cos most trucks go back East half empty, $800-1K should be enough for the cheaper carriers such as Adelaide car express, where TNT/Toll-autotrans/Cevas charge more.