PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Water/Condensation inside headlights - FIXED

tknova
04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I've been having a constant issue with my euro headlights. They always fog up!

I've had three sets of headlights go into my car via Honda warranty and they all still produce condensation on the inside of the lens.

After Honda decided not to cover my headlights (hole in the back of the dust cover for HID's)
I argued the point that it was not the hole as there was a rubber grommet there to stop this. But, Honda pretty much advised this is a loop hole they will use to not replace my headlights.

So, i removed my headlights and around 50mil of water came out of them both. :eek:

I was tempted to remove the lens from the headlight via the oven approach, but i was worried that if i damaged the headlights, i'd be up for new headlights or lens ect.

So, I took them to headlights plus in moorabbin to have them looked at.

Came back that the seal around the headlight lens is very poor and letting in water. The headilghts where opened cleaned and resealed for around $175.

This has now fixed the problem! I can wash the engine bay and car and drive in the rain ect with no issues!

Hope this helps other people out there with the same issue.

kitbkk
05-07-2010, 02:07 AM
thanks for this. please report back in the future how it goes. thumbsuppp

Neesmo31
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Good job. Thats good to know that some people can do this for a relatively cheap price. :thumbsup:

BraXta
05-07-2010, 10:56 PM
soooo where can we get this done in Sydney NSW area =P hehe

what did they do just put sealer in there when they separated it??

tknova
06-07-2010, 08:46 AM
soooo where can we get this done in Sydney NSW area =P hehe

what did they do just put sealer in there when they separated it??

Pretty much! - I'd speak to panel shops ect in your area and find out who they use for headlight repairs.

I had quotes from $270 per headlight!! As my previous post states, i found a company that would do a headlight @ $85~ each. So shop around.

You can do it yourself, by placing your headlights in the oven, heating them @ 200deg for 10 min then pry them apart, clean, remove the origional sealer and reseal, clamp and reheat in the oven again for 200deg @ 10 min twice to seal. But - Being a novice, i didn't want to ruin my headlights by getting sealer inside, breaking the lens ect.

caesar6668
08-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Pretty much! - I'd speak to panel shops ect in your area and find out who they use for headlight repairs.

I had quotes from $270 per headlight!! As my previous post states, i found a company that would do a headlight @ $85~ each. So shop around.

You can do it yourself, by placing your headlights in the oven, heating them @ 200deg for 10 min then pry them apart, clean, remove the origional sealer and reseal, clamp and reheat in the oven again for 200deg @ 10 min twice to seal. But - Being a novice, i didn't want to ruin my headlights by getting sealer inside, breaking the lens ect.

that is a good idea~

Neesmo31
08-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I would never trust that - i cant even cook toast without burning it! Imagine overcooking your headlights! lol. :)

roony
08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I've been having a constant issue with my euro headlights. They always fog up!

The headilghts where opened cleaned and resealed for around $175.

This has now fixed the problem! I can wash the engine bay and car and drive in the rain ect with no issues!

Hope this helps other people out there with the same issue.

thanks for that :). my headlights are dull inside, as i noticed they condense (both do evenly at the same time, but rarely). So ur lights looking brand new now?

tknova
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
thanks for that :). my headlights are dull inside, as i noticed they condense (both do evenly at the same time, but rarely). So ur lights looking brand new now?

They look brand spanking new now. The dullness is a build up of condensation over time which leaves a film over the lens and also the h1 projector.

If you need detailed instructions on how to over your headlights, see here -> http://www.pl-us.com/ACURA/Angel_Eyes_Installation_Procedures.pdf

It's a detailed PDF file on how to install angle eyes - so follow the steps on opening and closing your headlights.

oneian
10-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the info regarding the headlights..something i will do very soon!

SPO73D
10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
If anyone hunts down a similar location, up here in syd, post it up thanks :)

NZDM_CL9
10-07-2010, 10:29 PM
hmm.. is there no recall in OZ for this issue?

There was a recall on NZ models, apparently Honda attaches some extra clips or something to help seal them better

tknova
10-07-2010, 10:52 PM
hmm.. is there no recall in OZ for this issue?

There was a recall on NZ models, apparently Honda attaches some extra clips or something to help seal them better

Same thing in AUS, Except the clips don't work :) They really need to seal the headlights better, there where gaps letter in water on the corners and near the clipping points on the lens..

tknova
10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
thanks for this. please report back in the future how it goes. thumbsuppp

I know it hasn't been long , but i'll provide an update. I've washed the vehicle, including the engine via high pressure hose on cold nights when the lights would of fogged up straight away - Still no fogging up or any traces of water inside the headlamps! :)

Neesmo31
10-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Good to hear man. Mine used to fog up when i bought the car but not anymore... Dont know whats changed but yeah, doesnt do it anymore.

kitbkk
13-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I know it hasn't been long , but i'll provide an update. I've washed the vehicle, including the engine via high pressure hose on cold nights when the lights would of fogged up straight away - Still no fogging up or any traces of water inside the headlamps! :)
thanks heaps!
yeah even though my head lights dont get fogged up/condensed at all during the day, they are every time after a car wash at night.
so yeah this must be a good sign of a proper fix.

kryptonite
29-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Some how the left left hand side has stopped getting foggy but drivers side still gets water in it.

I plan to just replacing the dam thing - anyone know if I will have drama with installing the TSX luxury units into my 03' standard? (in theory it should be the same)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190403423404&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

tknova
29-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Some how the left left hand side has stopped getting foggy but drivers side still gets water in it.

I plan to just replacing the dam thing - anyone know if I will have drama with installing the TSX luxury units into my 03' standard? (in theory it should be the same)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190403423404&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

You will have amber parker lenses and your headlight aim will not be correct. But, i suppose that's easy fixed.

You are best to just get the headlights opened up, cleaned and resealed and they will brand new again and the condensation will not return.

It's been months now and the headlights are still not fogging up.

EUR003act
30-10-2010, 06:25 AM

**!! PLEASE NOTE !!**

Using the USDM TSX headlights in an AUDM Euro will mean the headlight cutoff pattern (when the light projects higher on the non-oncoming traffic side) will be backwards...

ie: Instead of being a flat beam accross the front and towards oncoming traffic and raising up on the left/nature strip side... it will be the complete opposite..

Not meeting ADRs and pissing off alot of drivers! not to mention being unable to see roo's on the side of the road...

only way to get around that would be open up the light and swap the projector lens or cutoff bar

kryptonite
30-10-2010, 06:27 PM
bummer - things cant be simple can they.

going to have to find time to take the damn housing apart......

kryptonite
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
If I can source the AUS luxury headlights (with OEM HID) will these be compatible with the standard euro?

Am I going to be missing any cabling to power the unit?

mrshibby
24-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Hi Mate,

I'm having the same problem, can you remember where you had yours done for $85 each?

Cheers