PDA

View Full Version : Went to winton on saturday.....

brendan1990
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
hey guys just thought i would share with you the story of my first track day at Winton on Saturday, and some info on 2, s2000's there.
I went with a mate that owns a 99 model wrx that's been stripped bare of anything it doesn't need (no mods yet though except bucket seats, roll cage, and esparco steering wheel) and boy was it mad i honestly cant remember the last time i had this much fun in my life, flatting footing round corners with not a thing to worry about and so much space you have plenty of time to react, was an amazing feeling i don't believe i have ever pushed a car that hard before and felt so comfortable about it, and proper bucket seats and harnesses hold so well i want them all the time lol.
Now the rexy had woeful tires, i was getting tire squeal round almost every corner and did much powersliding which was fun but annoying when trying to overtake the occasional ss, or skyline, but we pretty much where able to maneuver through the whole course overtaking everything bar the occasional evo or pimped out wrx so all in all.....i want a track car! lol.

Now there where 2 s2000's at winton a black one and silver one both ap1's now the guy with the silver one recently set a record at a track recently for the fastest n/a non modified 4cyl car so i was expecting big things from this guy when i was watching him and was not dissapointed, from the very last corner on his first lap he was getting sideways due to lack of warming up the tires but from then on he was overtaking commodore, skyline, wrx, etc. until he was overtaking a guy from the outside, kicked the car out sideways and snapped his lower control arm on the ripple strip and almost ripped his rear left wheel off with the pads, calipers, and rotors all being completely destroyed, i was going round kitome corner when i swear i saw broken brake pads scattered all over the road and was thinking 'oh o some idiot has stuffed up' and then i saw a sad sad site, of which was a silver s2000 about 15m's off the course just sitting therein the grass, i was so deprest i really did feel for the guy =(.

But of course i must not forget to tell you about the other s2000, a black ap1 s2000 that my mate could not shake off his tail at all pushing the car to its absolute limit, until he thought 'its ok the s2 isnt built for straights and ill brake off on the main straight' and boy was i stunned, amazed, baffled i dunno what, but when we pulled out of one of the final corners and planted it at 6500rpm nearly red lining it this s2 flew past like we where nothing else, all that me n my mate where sayin in the car was......wtf? about an hour later i found out that the car was apparently turbo charged so instantly i was like 'of course' after that i wanted it to overtake me just to hear it roar lol so if anyone knows this guy who owns a black ap1 s2 that is turbo/supercharged with black no. plates, black wheels and duel cannons on the rear please let me know cause i would love to talk to him as i never got the chance on Saturday, anyway that concludes my little write up so please feel free to leave any comments =)

LEWD
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Nice right up...I really need to get down there.

vyets
05-07-2010, 06:55 AM
wow sounds nasty for just hitting the ripples? How the hell does your pads fall out on the track lol.
Did he hit the SS he was overtaking or something because the ripples shouldn't do that to the car, I hit the ripples all day lol.

Sounds like you have fun man good shiet, too bad there wasn't a timer did you guys do some manual timing just for fun?

dc2r-0636
05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
lol i know him. his name is rob.

its turbocharged not supercharged.. not sure if he wants me to talk about his set up..

euromandeluxe
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
could it be because he hit the ripples going sideways? kind of like hitting a gutter with the rear outside wheel while going sideways, except the ripple ridges are shorter of course

sounds like you had a mad time Brendan, I wanted to head to winton too but had commitments :(

brendan1990
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
yeah could of been cause he was going sideways but i know for a fact he diddnt hit the guy he was trying to overtake, but as the control arm snapped the rotor hit the ripple strip and i was told by the guy i work with who went with him that it practically exploded which is pretty insane.
and dc2r if you know the guy is there any chance i could contact him through msn, fb or something? i dont expect you to describe his set up, cause i would probably feel the same if i was him.

Ummm yeah it was a bit of a bummer there was know timing, and my phone was dead which would of been the only real timing device i had, but oh well maybe next time, i think the next fun day is at sandown possibly, unless i get my cams liscence sooner and decide to go proper tracking. I have been thinking about getting a second car for a while now, just some cheap thing to get me to and from work, and then i could stop clocking up k's on my s2 so quickly and do some serious mods to it, unless its more reasonable selling the s2 and getting something turbocharged (quicker) which i have been also thinking about, but every time i look at my s2 i have a sort of.....(aaaww your so awsome, how could i ever sell you?' approach lol

vyets
05-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow, so he hit the ripple, and rim pretty much fell off, rotor hits ripple, snaps, calipers snap and pads fall out. I don't know man but it seems pretty extreme just from going on the ripples. I don't doubt the fact that he copped some damage from hitting the ripples but for the brake pads to fall out, I mean there has to be some SERIOUS damage. To get to the pads you have to first demolish the rims and get them out of the way then the rotor would hit the concrete, but cracking the rotor alone still wouldn't make the pads fall out. You would have to basically rip off a chunk off the rotor big enough for the pad to fall through OR manage somehow to brake the calipers. The rear calipers are on the top side of the disc so I wouldn't see how they would manage to get in contact with concrete. Maybe what you saw was just crap on the track I mean you would have to have some serious vision to be able to tell it's brake pads hehe.

Anyway, I've been over the ripples plenty of times sideways as well. Ask the drifters they live on the ripples sideways LOL, but yea that guy must be running plastic rims or someshit to explode when he hits some ripples.

I think you need a good few more years of experience before you do some "proper" Track Racing, AASA License will be more then enough for now.

Anyway, I was reading through the thread again... you.. ain't talking about the S2000 are you? You took your mate's wrx?

brendan1990
06-07-2010, 06:44 PM
well the info might not be right but i got it off the guy that traveled in the s2 with the owner up to winton so im jsut going off what he says.
And i dont think i mean 'proper' as in full racing shave every milisecond you can, more what my mate does with his wrx and just goes to track days to go fast and have fun, and yeah i went in my mates wrx not my s2, i wanted to get a rough idea of how things work before i even consider taking my lifes savings on track with no insurance.

vyets
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Wow you shouldn't be driving without insurance dude.. wth are you thinking lol.
Also... no insurance covers accidents on the track anyway so your insurance is useless.

brendan1990
06-07-2010, 10:25 PM
lol i have full comprehensive, i ment i would have no insurance if i took it on the track.

stevo716
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
yeh i was there too, with a few mates, I was in the grey da, the black s2000 was super quick, killed me on the straights quite easily
the other s2000 happened right infront of my mate, he was the car being overtaken.

brendan1990
06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
wow serious? describe your car a bit more, i was drving a blue 99 wrx with gold rims (of course) would of looked stock from the outside except for the bonnet latches.

stevo716
06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
there were 2 da9 there, a complete stock white one,
mine was the grey da9 with gunmetal grey rims, lowered
exhuast pretty loud lol, wouldnt pass that 95 db, but some of the cars there ...dammmmmmmmmmmmm 95db limit my ass lol
yeh i think i know wat wrx u were in, but yeh my mate was in the vs commodore wagon, he was right behind the white s2000 when it happened

brendan1990
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
i hope you mates wagon wasnt white, i almost got rear ended by a white comodore when braking behind the safety car, and had to swerve out of the way so he could pass.
i dont remember your car though sorry =(

stevo716
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
there were 2 white wagons going round, doesnt sound like my mate to do that, we were newbies
there was vp and a vs

brendan1990
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
i think it was vs, but it had roof racks if that helps lol, and dw i was a newbie to lol

stevo716
07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
nah he doesnt have roof racks, i checked with him, his like nah not at all, i was keeping off ppls asses if anythin lol, and his brakes are upgraded so no reason he wudnt stop in time anyway
that vp goin round seemed kinda nutty, it has stockies on while my matt, had vz rims on

Age_S2000
14-07-2010, 02:09 PM
i wanna know more about this turbocharged s2k someone get him onto the forums....

brendan1990
14-07-2010, 04:58 PM
i second that

ncmx5
14-07-2010, 06:21 PM
i think it was vs, but it had roof racks if that helps lol, and dw i was a newbie to lol

they went to track day with roof racks on? ROFL.

brendan1990
14-07-2010, 06:49 PM
not a bad idea if you chucked a bicycle on top incase you crashed your car and had to ride home

CRXONE
16-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey guys what sort of license would I need to obtain to drive around Winton etc...

Apparently I need to get a CAMS license and first of all I need to get membership from a club.
Can anyone help me out here?
ps. My car is a gunmetal S2K

DNYALL
16-07-2010, 09:34 PM
only need a AASA license to get onto Winton. $50 for a year. easy done, just go onto their website, download a form and fill it out. send it to their office with the money and done. Unless its a fun day, where you need nothing but a drivers license and a keen eye to watch for all the idiots trying to be hero's. At least thats what I have heard. I have never been to a 'fun' day befor.

Was this day one of those Non-Timed 'fun' days?

If it was timed, what times was the Turbo s2k doing?

Unlucky for the silver s2k :( I've hit the ripple strips sideways, backwards, diagonal, diagonal backwards etc :/ and never had damage like that.

stevo716
16-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Untimed fun day,
its not terrible few losers out there, but for $30 and no racing license required, id say suck it up, unless u crash or get crashed into, then that wud suck
but its a def a beginner thing, i reckon if you got expierieince on a track not for you, as you cant rele have a full on lap to urself as ull always get stuck behind someone, and get slowed down
as they were black flagging for corner overtakin and full on driving, but anyway

CRXONE
19-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm mates with some MX5 owners so I decided to take the plunge and get my CAMS LS2 license which means I can take my car to any club day where we get timed etc...
haha I can't wait to flog my mate in his slow MX-5.
Then again his car does does handle incredibly well.

brendan1990
19-07-2010, 09:37 PM
im fairly certain an s2 would walk all over an mx5, although it does count almost entirely on the driver

Rangel
06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Hello gentlemen, I was put onto this thread by dc2r-0636's cousin, I am the owner of the Black Turbocharged AP1 :p

I notice a few of you have been trying to find me, well here i am :) so if you have any questions feel free to ask.. I look forward to becoming a part of this community :D

dc2r-0636
07-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Hello gentlemen, I was put onto this thread by dc2r-0636's cousin, I am the owner of the Black Turbocharged AP1 :p

I notice a few of you have been trying to find me, well here i am :) so if you have any questions feel free to ask.. I look forward to becoming a part of this community :D

hey how are you rob :)

Rangel
07-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey Daniel, great mate how are you??

dc2r-0636
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
not bad man. people here real intrested in your s2k haha

Rangel
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
hehe, yer ive noticed :p

ludecrs
08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Welcome.
Feel free to introduce yourself to OzHonda with the Introduction section located at the top of the subforums on the main page.

Always good to see another boosted brother. I'm just a hardparker with track aspirations. Still buying a few more parts to make sure everything runs and doesn't go BOOM on me an hour from home. lol.
Keen to hear your setup if you're keen to share. :)

Rangel
08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Thank you, I think i just may do that.. Definitely good to see another s2k with some compressed air running through it :p Hehe you and me both brother.. You on facebook?? im also keen to know about your setup and approach

ludecrs
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Pm'd.

Photonic_Si
12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
this thread is useless without pics

brendan1990
12-09-2010, 10:22 PM
find him on fb, there are plenty of his s2