PDA

View Full Version : exhaust getting polished? - sydney west?

tps09
05-07-2010, 11:13 PM
anyone know how to polish there cat back exhaust?

and make it come out fully polished?

or

is there a place in Sydney west that knows? how to, or that does it?

and whats the price im looking at? to get a full catback done?

how long does it take roughly?

please pin point me to the right direction,

thanks
as im noob

euromandeluxe
06-07-2010, 02:10 AM
you can DIY. look in the DIY section - there's a writeup for polishing headers which would be exactly the same. not worth wasting money over if you have the time and patience to DIY.

it depends what you want to polish - if it's just the mufflers, probably 4-5 hours.

a suitable paint stripper to take off paint if there's already paint there.
it can be sanded off instead, but don't use sandpaper that's too aggressive.
scotch-brite for a final scrub and to get into corners etc.
metal polish to bring it up to a shine. lots of elbow grease.
high temp clearcoat to top it off to make it nice and easy to clean for the future.

not an ozhonda link, but it could help.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=609218&st=0

final result pics are 3/4 of the way down.

hope that helps.

HondaPie
06-07-2010, 10:15 AM
first tar remover, after, 1000 wet sandpaper, after 2000 wet sandpaper and at finish metal polish ;)

Samm928
08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
first tar remover, after, 1000 wet sandpaper, after 2000 wet sandpaper and at finish metal polish ;)

you'll end up with rust in 2 weeks time also if you do it this way.

i've done this for all my cars. and it polishes it like NO FKN TOMORROW.

baller way
1. take off your cat back? if you want. makes life easier than working on it under your car.
degrease. wash off. hand dry.
grab a buffering wax thing the ones that spin that have cloth on it. spend a good 20mins doing so to the whole catback whilst its off using metal polish at the same time
take off the cloth and use a microfibre cloth on the spinning waxing buffing thing and use it as a polisher.

or
cheap way.
1 jack up your car and heavy duty degrease the whole catback. wash it off. then dry it.
then use a cloth and some metal polish and go hard out at it until its looks pretty ok.

then grab a microfibre cloth and polish it up. (dont use metal polish when doing this. its the final step)

have fun =)

dness
08-07-2010, 05:17 PM
a bit of petrol is good too. it wipes off soot like its mud.

i also use Mothers aluminum polish and works like a charm.

HondaPie
08-07-2010, 05:19 PM
rust on stainles steel ??? lol

dougie_504
08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
cheap way.
1 jack up your car and heavy duty degrease the whole catback. wash it off. then dry it.
then use a cloth and some metal polish and go hard out at it until its looks pretty ok.

then grab a microfibre cloth and polish it up. (dont use metal polish when doing this. its the final step)

have fun =)

I did this on my brother's DC Fujitsubo Power Getter. Just some 'Import' degreaser from Super Cheap Auto ($2 a can) and polish with Meguire's Metal Polish. Didn't even use a microfibre cloth, just a standard cotton cloth.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/23032010059.jpg

Samm928
16-07-2010, 12:25 AM
I did this on my brother's DC Fujitsubo Power Getter. Just some 'Import' degreaser from Super Cheap Auto ($2 a can) and polish with Meguire's Metal Polish. Didn't even use a microfibre cloth, just a standard cotton cloth.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/23032010059.jpg

shoosh. before i dont send out your im + tb ;)

lol hehehehe jks bro