PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need To Run Lead Additive In My Car ????

te_panel
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey All , I Just Want To Know Do I Need To Run That Lead Additive In My Civic

Its A 1977 Model And Its All Stock Some People Have Told Me I Should Run It But Its not Needed ? Other Have Said I'll End Up Killing My Engine If I Dont Run It ?

What Do You Guy's N Girls Think ?

Thanks Aaron :wave:

hitoriko
06-07-2010, 06:59 PM
run it

te_panel
06-07-2010, 07:18 PM
run it

in saying that i just posted the same thing up on a first gen civic site and was told

" Lead additive is not required.

The 1G Civic (and indeed all Honda aluminium heads) already have hardened valve seat inserts. These cars were made (initially) for the Japanese market that already had unleaded fuel in the 1970's and they run very happily on unleaded.

Valve seat lubrication additive is mainly for cars with cast iron heads (older British, American and Australian designs) where the valve seats were cut directly into the (relatively soft) cast iron. The lead in leaded fuel provided a degree of lubrication that stopped the valve pounding out the seats (aka "valve seat recession") as it moved to the closed position.

Alluminium heads have hardened steel inserts from the start because the aluminium is way too soft to directly seat a valve."

dougie_504
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
There's a fair few 'leaded' fuel cars that can run on unleaded with no worries - EG. the early model celicas.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I can't see the lead additive hurting, in my old AH I never used it and it was ok, haven't been using it in this AH either but I may do a test run to see the difference.