PDA

View Full Version : Sri question

EK1 Civic
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I know this has probably been covered over and over i just got a question over which setup would be better in terms of airflow and heat. I don't wanna do a full CAI as i want response but i am after doing CAI feed.

As people have all ready mentioned you can just drop a K&N panel filter into the stock airbox and run CAI piping feed underneath it, i believe there is meant to be a hole.

My other option was to buy a SRI with a poddy and run CAI feed to it. I cant be bothered making a heat shield as i don't want it to look dodgy. I'm pretty sure its possible to buy a manufactured heat shield to suit the setup.

Basically i am wondering what is more better in terms of flow and heat.

Obviously the first option is easier and cheaper but i am open to others opinions.

Sorry for bringing a topic that's probably been covered i am just after a direct response :o

Oh btw this is for an 1999 EK1. Thanks :D

[EDIT] I almost forgot in making a CAI feed do i gotta cut a whole in the bumper where foggies are connected to? or is that an option people do for more cold air flow. Sry for the essay =/

xenonkuraz
06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
As heaps of people will read this and think "friggen search!" I might just save them some breath and answer your questions:

Option 1: high flow panel filter with air feed

- legal
- less heat soak
- looks stock

Option 2: open pod filter with air feed

- more heat soak
- more air flow
- louder induction noise
- looks better
- illegal in some states

my advice: get a cold air intake. Response compared to SRI is virtually unnoticeable yet you don't get the heat properties hence more power output. The only 'downfall' I can think is the intake wail is not as loud but it does become deeper.

MWAKU
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
i want response but i am after doing CAI feed.

wouldn't u get better response from a cai? ppl only opt. for a sri for the noise, but a cai is better for power, response la la. soo.. just get a cai.

EK1 Civic
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks xenonkuraz for your advice and down to earth pros/cons list :D However i think getting a CAI seems troublesome taking off the bumper every time i want to change the filter. So i am only interested in making a piping feed for stock air box + k&n high flow panel filter or getting a poddy with a heat shield and running cai feed to it. Going through searches the pod makes more flow but prone to heat soak. Anyone know if their are any of them mugen copy heat shields or a decent manufactured heat shield for a pod filter so i wont get as much heat soak.

something similar to this mugen one http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?134933-Metal-Intake-arm&highlight=cold+air+intake in post #5

EK1 Civic
06-07-2010, 09:57 PM
wouldn't u get better response from a cai? ppl only opt. for a sri for the noise, but a cai is better for power, response la la. soo.. just get a cai.

i've been under the assumption that the longer CAI pipe results in less response but the more cold air being fed in = more power.

mugen_ctr
06-07-2010, 11:37 PM
if u really want response, get a air ram setup, thats ur best bet...... or jus leave ur stock air box and make a diy cold air intake into the air box as iev done...
If u really want a pod, get something like Mugen cai setup, as it completely isolates the pod from the engine bay, and only cold air gets fed into it

Considering u have the face lift, it should be simpler to make ur own cai, where as preface, i had to run a rubber pipe feedin from the side of rad as we had no other ducts to run from
If u want a cai, remove the stock air box resonator from the bumper, u gotta remove bumper 1st to get to it

And remember, theres a reason why honda chosen that length of intake rubber pipe, food for thought...so if u want response ur best bet, keep the same length, or save up enough and get ITBs, lol
Metal intake arms heat up, as opposed to the rubber arm, so again ur decision

EK1 Civic
06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Yeh i am thinking of keeping stock and just doing the feed, i know the details and got the DIY bookmarked to do it all. Sticking to this unless someone has some insight into a mugen replica box thing for the pod to stay in and a pipe to feed cold air into that box as i don't want to make a jibby looking heatshield/box. I think that is the initial design of the mugen from just looking at it. I am unsure of how much the real mugen one costs but i am guessing since its mugen its expensive and i am a student so i am not looking to spend a lot.

EK1.6LCIV
07-07-2010, 08:20 AM
that last line always bothers me lol (student etc, as when I did my studies I had a shit box ae86, no, this was not when drifting in oz was cool, it was a shit box and there was no way I was dropping coin on cars as banks wouldn't give out loans so cavilerly like they do now, which was a good thing, lol)

but in cheapness it's ebay for the 3" dia. aluminum arm, cheap filter (seriously in this dept, on an NA car filters are just that, filters, no mass amounts of power to be gained here) just make sure it's able to be oiled up again, I just bought a clamp and welded on a piece of flat s/s for the mounting and done for less than $130, could do it cheaper still

I didn't make a box as when I removed the resonator and all its useless fittings my main heat soak problem was resolved (remove the front bar and go nuts, and bin that huge plastic box lol, there's a thread in diy)

I couldve spent $5xx+ (I personally can go out and have a far better time with that money) on an intake but its not going to yield mind blowing performance in any shape of the word, it's just delivering noise, which is what you're really after in all honestly lol :)

dougie_504
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
If you want response down low in the revs, keep the box. I changed my stock box to SRI, then extended the SRI to CAI. SRI had less response, no power gain, but sounded good. CAI has the same response IMO, small power gain, pretty much the same sound.

I've considered putting the stock box back on with the K&N panel filter and a cold air feed. You don't need to run the piping from your box to your bumper, you can just remove the stock resonator which allows the box to breath air from the wheel well, which is isolated from the engine bay. Otherwise yes you can run pipe to your bumper and just cut off a section of your black grill on the bumper.

EK1 Civic
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
If you want response down low in the revs, keep the box. I changed my stock box to SRI, then extended the SRI to CAI. SRI had less response, no power gain, but sounded good. CAI has the same response IMO, small power gain, pretty much the same sound.

I've considered putting the stock box back on with the K&N panel filter and a cold air feed. You don't need to run the piping from your box to your bumper, you can just remove the stock resonator which allows the box to breath air from the wheel well, which is isolated from the engine bay. Otherwise yes you can run pipe to your bumper and just cut off a section of your black grill on the bumper.

So either stick with stock box or go CAI. I might just stick with the box, what you reckon would be better no pipe or a pipe connecting to the front bumper?

dougie_504
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Pipe to front bar would be better, allows motion-enforced airflow into your airbox to complement the suction. It's also the cheapest option, total will cost you $100 max.

I paid $70 for a SRI and then annother $105 in parts to extend it to a CAI. If I had my time again I'd just use the box method, but considering it's my daily driver I CBF messing around with it.

Alternatively you can buy my CAI setup for $90. It's an APC short ram intake with some silicone and aluminium piping re-routing the pod to the front bumper lol.

dougie_504
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
$90! Buy it! lol

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/dougie_504/21102009046.jpg

TheSaint
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
i got my fujita CAI kit for just over $200 ... for the same money i also got a simota SRI

the SRI sounded good ... but i lost low end and mid power and there was no difference in response

the CAI sounds just as good ... and now i have a nice power gain over the whole rev range and alot better response =)

EK1 Civic
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
i got my fujita CAI kit for just over $200 ... for the same money i also got a simota SRI

the SRI sounded good ... but i lost low end and mid power and there was no difference in response

the CAI sounds just as good ... and now i have a nice power gain over the whole rev range and alot better response =)

Was the stock box better for low end like 2-3k rpms then the cai, i just baby my civic and shift at 2.5k rpms so im guessing stock box would probably work for my driving. Still a learner for 3 more weeks xD

EK1 Civic
07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Pipe to front bar would be better, allows motion-enforced airflow into your airbox to complement the suction. It's also the cheapest option, total will cost you $100 max.

I paid $70 for a SRI and then annother $105 in parts to extend it to a CAI. If I had my time again I'd just use the box method, but considering it's my daily driver I CBF messing around with it.

Alternatively you can buy my CAI setup for $90. It's an APC short ram intake with some silicone and aluminium piping re-routing the pod to the front bumper lol.

I just purchased some dishwasher hose from bunnings to feed the air into the bottom of my stock box =/ and currently doing beeza's calibrating tps DIY, just finished cleaning the TB and bits and pieces. So hard just to get the left bottom nut off the TB and SO MUCH FKing coolant poured out, i blocked it off and put a empty can underneath the car to collect it. Unbelievable how much coolant actually leaked out lol.

EK1 Civic
07-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry for the extra post but would anyone know which panel filter fits an ek1 1999 model?
Both are panel filters just different sizes etc
33-2120 or the 32-2104 from K&N (panel air filters)

dougie_504
08-07-2010, 12:15 AM
You don't have the take of the TB bro, just take off your intake and spray in the carby cleaner and wipe it out. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the paper gasket.