PDA

View Full Version : Civic CXi Brake Upgrade, Master Cylinder, Booster, Prop Valve

anzai
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
hey guys, ive been searching the forums for about an hour and half and found no precise answer so:

i drive a 2000 ek cxi hatch with factory rear drum brakes, no ABS

i have just installed a ek4 rear disc brakes with a proportioning valve from a ek1 gli (gli which comes with factory disc rear brakes). everything still on 4 studs. my mechanic did all the installation and bleeding. now the brake pedal is so soft and i have to fully step on it to get any braking.

my mechanic told me that i should upgrade my master cylinder and booster. questions:

1. am i using the right prop valve for this setup?

2. which master cylinder and booster from what car should i use for this setup? (from ek4, em1, dc2 vtir, dc2r etc?)

thanks guys, the more i read on about this on the forums the more i'm confused, so i hope someone can help a brother out..

anzai
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
anyone?

markismaximus
08-07-2010, 07:38 AM
ideally you want the prop valve and booster from the same car the brakes came from, that way you can be 100% sure everything will be working as it should.

WA-EG
08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
really your mechanic shouldn't have let you drive away. if he was a decent mechanic he should know that stock booster and MC would insufficient. i mean come on, you've add a whole other set of calipers and rotors.....

Basic upgrade would be to the same gear as where the brakes came from. prop valve should ok if you've already got the gli one. If not same deal.
What size brakes are on the front? DC2 gear should be fine. 96 type r is also a good choice.... Thats what i got waiting to go into mine when i change the rears over.

sangyz
09-07-2010, 12:37 AM
maybe he didn't bleed the brakes properly?

Using ek4 brake master cylinder and booster and proportional valves should do the trick though so you can get full use of the ek4 brakes

anzai
17-07-2010, 10:23 PM
really your mechanic shouldn't have let you drive away. if he was a decent mechanic he should know that stock booster and MC would insufficient. i mean come on, you've add a whole other set of calipers and rotors.....

Basic upgrade would be to the same gear as where the brakes came from. prop valve should ok if you've already got the gli one. If not same deal.
What size brakes are on the front? DC2 gear should be fine. 96 type r is also a good choice.... Thats what i got waiting to go into mine when i change the rears over.

the fronts are stock cxi disc, so i believe 242mm

is there any difference between the mc/booster of a gli and ek4? how much do the ek4 ones generally cost?

cheers