PDA

View Full Version : Sub or amp stuffed up?

Mugen Civic
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Hello,

My setup for the sub is a sony xplod amp thats bolted up to the back of the rear seat and a 15" JBL GTO sub thats just in the boot.

Last week when i turned on my system there was a deep "DOOF" from the sub and then nothing, the four surrounding speakers continue to work because there on a different amp. When i went to the back to check what happened, the OFFSET light on the sub amp is on and i found that i have shut the back seat on the wiring for ths sub.

I have now replaced the wire and turned the system back on. The OFFSET light is off but now the sound out of the sub is now crackling and distorting. How do i know if its the sub or the amp thats broken? I'm thinking its the sub thats stuffed up but before i go out and buy another sub, i was wondering if anyone here has a better idea so i don't find out its actually the amp thats stuffed after buying a new sub when i didn't need to.

Cheers

2MPRS
07-07-2010, 10:29 PM
double check the wiring that its not touching somewhere. usually if its distorting it should be an rca cable so either switch the rcas from the other amp to the sony one to see if that makes a difference. if that doesnt connect the sub to the other amp and see if the sub still distorts on that one if it doesnt then its probably ur amp.

Mugen Civic
08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
double check the wiring that its not touching somewhere. usually if its distorting it should be an rca cable so either switch the rcas from the other amp to the sony one to see if that makes a difference. if that doesnt connect the sub to the other amp and see if the sub still distorts on that one if it doesnt then its probably ur amp.

Yea wiring is all good. The other amp is only 60Wrms a channel and i don't think thats enough power the sub.
Reckon it could be symptons of a fried voice coil in the sub?

2MPRS
08-07-2010, 07:31 PM
bridge 2 of the channles to run the sub its only to check if it works so it wont do any harm. if it was ur voice coil ud smell it as its really strong. just run the sub on the other amp so u can find out if its the sub or the amp.

teh_mechanic
09-07-2010, 09:08 AM
60w per channel running a 15" inch sub. i didnt read it all but my first impression would be your amp was being pushed to hard and sending dirty clipped signals to the sub, eventually overheating the voice coil. You can normally smell its burnt though, and its strange you say it made a loud noise when you turned it on

Mugen Civic
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Yea thanks for the tip guys, i've tested out the sub like 2MPRS said and the sub is working fine. So it looks like the amp has stuffed up.
I bought a new Kicker mono amp today so hope fully all is well when i install it.

2MPRS
09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
dont throw out ur old amp imo pull it apart and see if u can find out what the problem was sometimes its something really small

Mugen Civic
10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
just finished the install and everythings all good now, thanks for the input guys.
Yea i will open up the old amp and have a snoop around.