PDA

View Full Version : electrical question

dark138
25-12-2004, 07:37 PM
i've got some neons installed in the car. i dun want to havea wire mess, so i chopped off the plug heads and then combined the + and - leads. I plugged it into the cigarette the lighter and the fuse just blew

anything i can do to reduce the amount of cig plugs for the sets of lights?

Biggie
25-12-2004, 07:42 PM
what i would do is snip the cigarette lighter off fullstop, connect the + to the ciggarette lighters power and earth the - and connect a switch to it? should be all good?? you might want to stick a fuse in their after the switch just to keep the neons in the car safe,

kenshin
25-12-2004, 07:42 PM
whoa... tim taylor style

flipmods
25-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Sounds like you have done something wrong in your wiring cause 2 neons shouldn't draw more than 7amps. Sounds wrong. Are you running any other items off that circuit? If you aren't then you might want to check your wiring.

what i would do is snip the cigarette lighter off fullstop, connect the + to the ciggarette lighters power and earth the - and connect a switch to it? should be all good?? you might want to stick a fuse in their after the switch just to keep the neons in the car safe,
I wouldn't disconnect the lighter. What if you need to charge your phone or something. If you have to wire it to that circuit then just splice into the wires from the lighter.

dark138
25-12-2004, 10:25 PM
i m running 5 neons (rice yeh?:wave: )

the 15amp fuse just blew, i want to stick a higher amp fuse into the fuse box, but scared something will go wrong... like the airbags coming out when i m driving.

aimre
25-12-2004, 10:31 PM
run a cable direct from the battery, with a switch inline

dark138
26-12-2004, 02:25 AM
i did some reading with google. someone mentioned just pulling a (+) cable from the battery through the car's firewall and have all the light's (+) attached to that. then have all the negatives attached to another cable grounded to the cars chassis. then have a fuse and a switch on the (+) cable.

this is my first car, dun really have any idea how to pull something through the firewall. someone kindly explain?

wynode
26-12-2004, 10:32 AM
i did some reading with google. someone mentioned just pulling a (+) cable from the battery through the car's firewall and have all the light's (+) attached to that. then have all the negatives attached to another cable grounded to the cars chassis. then have a fuse and a switch on the (+) cable.

this is my first car, dun really have any idea how to pull something through the firewall. someone kindly explain?
That is probably the best way (also use a fuse close to the (+) battery terminal.

As for puling the wire through the firewall......you will usually find a grommit in the firewall that isn't used.........just put a hole through this grommit (rubber) and feed the wire through it.

When I did my stereo, I did it like this:

http://tech.ozhonda.com/diy/eg_stereo/IMG_4022.jpg

dark138
26-12-2004, 01:10 PM
cool thanks
that solves one question

then with the groun wire, it can be anywhere metal on the car right?
also... how many amp fuse i will need for about 5 neons?

Biggie
26-12-2004, 01:46 PM
I actaully ment cut the cigarette imput of the neons.. i thought he had the neons with a cigarete connecter at the end?

Yes to ground wire it needs to be screwed into the metal frame of the car.. somewhere hidden away, quite easy