PDA

View Full Version : engine idleing/reving funny

JasoN_-
08-07-2010, 05:29 PM
hey i got a 1996 civic ek
and the engine is idleing at 1500rpm is that normal?
also the engine is reving between 1000-2000revs every 3-4 seconds, whats the problem of this?
thanks alot guys, this is depressing

SajadEG
08-07-2010, 05:36 PM
My car has the same problem...its the throttle body, map sensors etc check all the earth sensors around that part of the motor. Clean the area around and check the screw on the TB, you can adjust the idle, tightening the screw lowers the idle, loosening it raises the idle.

sangyz
09-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Most likely its your TPS sensor! once thats ****ed it cause your engine to idle at about 1500 and the engine rev flickers as you described. Honda dont sell the sensor on its own only way to source one is in the states on ebay or buy a second hand throttle body with the TPS on it but not 100% that the TPS on that will work or last long. Best way is to find one on ebay from the states and then just replace it on your current throttle body.

You will need to drill into the screws conected on the throttle body as its one of those unscrewable ones. and will also need to source yourself some new screws for it. You could also use a saw and saw a grove into it and then use a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it and you could also reuse it.

Quick question do you get an engine light come on?

djt
09-07-2010, 07:53 AM
I have a 96 ek4 and i just recently got this fixed... my mechanic changed my map sensor, this made my idle drop from 1300 down to 700 - 900 but sometimes my idle still revs between 1500 and 1000 so he changed my idle air control valve (iacv) and now everything sweet.

jdm_b16a
09-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Sometimes my idle still revs between 1500 and 1000 so he changed my idle air control valve (iacv) and now everything sweet.

Correct. The IACV is one of the first things you should check. It is an easy 10 minute service. Undo the connector, remove the two pipes, undo two bolts and remove the unit. Clean it thoroughly and use an air compressor to blow it dry. Reinstall. This should fix many of problems of a similar nature. It worked for me.

The other option, of course, is that there may be a split pipe and you have a vacuum leak. Check all your rubber hoses, especially the small ones that just slip on.

Peter

VT3C
09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
yes correct - service your IACV.. failing that it could be a vac leak or even air-bubbles in your coolant (creating an air-pocket in the IACV)..

and do a search yo - this thread pops up once a month LOL :) there's about 7 threads with instructions for DIY haha

JasoN_-
10-07-2010, 01:57 AM
to answer sangyz question, im not sure what you are talking about =P
last night i started it and it was reving up and down by itself, just started it up today and it started to do it again...
its also idleing at 2k rpms now, is this normal? pree scary to a amateur
so it could be my throttle body,vacuum leak, tps sensor or iacv? should i start with the iacv first?
this all sounds a pricey conquest..

1996_EK_Civic
10-07-2010, 02:24 AM
this is a lil bit off topic but my '96 ej8 revs at 1500rpm first thing in the morning and once it's warmed up it revs between 700-900ish revs

beeza
10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
to answer sangyz question, im not sure what you are talking about =P
last night i started it and it was reving up and down by itself, just started it up today and it started to do it again...
its also idleing at 2k rpms now, is this normal? pree scary to a amateur
so it could be my throttle body,vacuum leak, tps sensor or iacv? should i start with the iacv first?
this all sounds a pricey conquest..

Sangyz talking about the tps sensor (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120191-DIY-Calibrating-the-Voltage-on-the-TPS)

But your problem is very common and costs nothing to fix! Definately is scary at first! :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?110641-D16y4-IACV-Clean-and-Throttle-body-removal.-Revs-hunting-Look-here.&highlight=clean+IACV

Make sure U remove the Throttle body to get the IACV off.

The best stuff to clean it with is Suburu upper engine cleaner,U can buy it from a suburu dealership OR just get carby cleaner from supacheap,it works ok..

If it still dosent feel right (but it should) I would change the MAP sensor.

It would be worth calibrating the tps too!

hey,why not go all the way!! - http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?132174-Modifying-the-stock-Throttle-body-for-more-air-flow&p=2732843#post2732843

grifty
10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
this is a lil bit off topic but my '96 ej8 revs at 1500rpm first thing in the morning and once it's warmed up it revs between 700-900ish revs

thats normal because the cold start injector is working so your car will warm up faster.

aznstyler
10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
This happened to me after i put in a new throttel cable.

beeza
12-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Sounds like it was too tight and opening up the throttle plate,letting air in at idle.