PDA

View Full Version : Securing Sunroof Glass, EG Hatch

Cooker
08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi, does anyone know how to secure the sunroof glass to the roof of an EG Hatch if you have taken it of the sunroof mechanism? AKA-Yonas's sunroof

Yonas's just seems to sit there like magic with nothing supporting it. Does anyone know how this is done? Before people say "Just ask Yonas" I have and it was done before he got the car so he is unsure.

Is the previous owner of Yonas's car on Ozhonda and can perhaps shed some light?

Sunroof glass weighs 7kg approx. I would of thought it had to be supported being 7kg but after seeing Yonas's there might be another way.

markismaximus
08-07-2010, 07:46 PM
It would have to be bonded in somehow to prevent leakage, as the sunroof tray actually allows the water to drain away through pipes that run along the pillars of the car.

if you want a non functioning sunroof you can disconnect all the wiring and relays. unless you have a stripped interior it wouldn't look any different

[[d a n n y]]
08-07-2010, 09:03 PM
the sunroof seals are there so no leaks. once the rubber goes old and hard
thats when u get leaks
the sunroof on the EG's lock down once the roof is fully closed

Sunroof it self is held by 10mm bolts usually
so he probably still has the mechanism still stuck on it
or if he's never intending to use them again
maybe some type of glue or silicon to hold it on to the chassis

Cooker
09-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry maybe I should elaborate more haha.
My car is an EG Civic done up for Sprint events. The whole entire sunroof mechanism and glass weighs 17kg!!! By eliminating the mechanism but still keeping the glass I can loose approx 10kg.
But my problem is how to delete the mechanism but have the glass still in place. The other option is fitting a carbon sunroof delete plug but I can't afford one especially the way the AUD$ is.

Yonas's (JDM YARD EG5) EG civic does not have the sunroof mechanism but still retains the glass. I want to find out how was the glass secured. It weighs 7kg and on Yonas's car looks like it just sits there by magic. It obviously has been secured quite good as it hasn't fallen of despite numerous drag strip and circuit runs.

duzy
09-07-2010, 12:42 AM
You can remove the whole assembly and have a closer look at the components and from there you could delete any bits you dont need?
Remove the motor and gears and once done you could just slide it back into place using force and secure it from inside somehow.

OR
Think a lid on a pot or something. Weld on bits to hold up the sunroof and silicone to prevent water getting in?

[[d a n n y]]
09-07-2010, 02:28 AM
yeah last time i took mine off
i there was brackets holding them up
not 100% sure

jdm_b16a
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
It is secured the same way those large sheets of glass are secured on modern buildings - by a silicone glue. It's not rocket science. Look at your average shower screen - if it is from floor to ceiling (or thereabouts) it is all held secure with silicone glue. Talk to a glazier, who could probably recommend a suitable product.

Our shower screen installer said the glass would break before the glue would let go!

Peter

Boban
09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
it might be a bit extreme but you could weld in a roof from a lower model (breeze, gl, gli) that didn't come sunroof
I'm pretty sure Paul (40RGD) did this only the other way (welded in a sunroof on a non sunroof chassis)
But like i said it's a bit extreme

Cooker
10-07-2010, 10:48 AM
it might be a bit extreme but you could weld in a roof from a lower model (breeze, gl, gli) that didn't come sunroof
I'm pretty sure Paul (40RGD) did this only the other way (welded in a sunroof on a non sunroof chassis)
But like i said it's a bit extreme

I'm not a panel beater it would cost me $1,000 min haha after I have bought a roof skin, installed, painted etc, but yes that is the way to go if money is no problem.
Thanks for your help guys, looks like I'll be talking to a shower screen company, thats probably how Yonas's is held in place also, with hardcore silicone.

I have taken the whole unit out several times and yes I can remove the motor and gears etc but what I want is the whole mechanism, rails, wiring OUT, just the glass.
Silicone it is then, hopefully it doesn't fall inside the car when I'm belting round the track haha.

markismaximus
10-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I know we use polyurethane glue to bond train windows and windscreens in at work. Sika to be specific but not sure which type. If they can hold a windscreen in at 160km/h I think they'll hold your 5kg sunroof in around the track