PDA

View Full Version : Letting go...

schonda
08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Hi All,

Not sure where to put this thread in Civic or 'other honda' but ill put it here...

Firstly I have started full time study over full time work so i have to let go of my financed Honda Civic 2008 Vti-L with blue lighting under the dash option, spoiler, chrome exhaust...im really sad :(

To replace that beloved car i want to get a cheaper one, for 15k ....but i want a Honda, and this is the Honda I picked from carsales, can any of you share experiences on the Prelude or offer any specific advice on what I should look out for in this car:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8871276&__sid=129B2EBE4EF8&__Qpb=true&Cr=9&__Ns=pCar_Odometer_Single|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1 ||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&keywords=&__N=1216 1247 1282 1252 1246 4294965322 4294964973 4294922435 898 1621&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=35&silo=1011

Thank you.

xenonkuraz
08-07-2010, 11:47 PM
How much more have you got to pay? I'd recommend to keep it if you're gonna spend 15k for another car..

schonda
08-07-2010, 11:58 PM
How much more have you got to pay? I'd recommend to keep it if you're gonna spend 15k for another car..

28k left on the loan from inception (7k I have paid to date).

xenonkuraz
09-07-2010, 12:01 AM
oh dang...that's a lot.

I would recommend the prelude, just try to avoid the automatic.

schonda
09-07-2010, 12:09 AM
oh dang...that's a lot.

I would recommend the prelude, just try to avoid the automatic.

how come, i heard this before? Im on my green P's so i think im allowed manual...

schonda
09-07-2010, 12:33 AM
And I could possibly stretch the budget on this one

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=4&R=8486468&keywords=&trecs=118&__sid=12976590CF96&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=true&__Nne=15&__No=0&seot=1&__N=1216 1247 1282 1252 1246 4294965322 4294964973 898&silo=1011

i like the skirts on it, but its got like 50,000km more....

Can I get these sports side, rear and front skirts for the green prelude above or is it far too expensive?

MWAKU
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
If you're looking at buying a prelude under 99 model, beware of the automatic, as it tends to break down, and the gearbox design doesn't distribute the heat effectively, so when the gearbox undergoes a lot of strain, it tends to give out. Which is why when looking for an automatic prelude, go for 99 or 00.

Try looking for one just above 100,000km, making sure that it has done the major service, if not then its been way too long, but yeah, try grabbing one between 100,000km and 150,000km.

I'd honestly opt for you getting a manual, i sold mine cause it was auto, and i couldn't be bothered to do a transmission swap as it was too costly. So try and look for a manual.

Please don't buy the green color, some people like it, but i would died if i bought the green color, regret it bad lol.

Those lip kits are hella expensive, i think its like, 700 or something for the pair of side skirts, 400 for front lip lip and 400 for rear lip unpainted. So pretty much this shit costs an arm and a leg brand new. But would still cost you around the 1grand mark looking for one second hand.

Prelude prices have dropped dramatically, no way should you pay near 15k for one... maybe if they just put up they're ad, so thats why they put it up so high, but ive seem some really nice preludes sit on the market for months, first 14k, then 13k, then 12k, then 11k then someone snaps it up (was looking at a black one with oem lip kit as i was going to buy another prelude).

So be patient and wait, scope the market everyday, and you'll see its really hard to sell preludes lol! but i reckon you can get that blue one for 12k, 13k. IMO try looking for one that already has the OEM lip kit, cause you know you will kill later on to get your hands on a set. So number one rule, take your time :) Have a look at a lot of em, get a feel for them and then you'll start noticing the bad eggs aswell. Also try not to buy one with mods already, like wheels exhaust this that. Better if you find a car thats been untouched and treated properly. :)

schonda
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Firstly, thanks for your comprehensive advice. You seriously know your stuff, are you a mechanic?

Why do you want 2 Preludes?

Ok so you reckon a green one is no good, I just thought the green was a good match with the beige interior, but i must admit a black prelude does turn heads.

So a stock honda (not in green) < 1999 dont go for auto

Stock Honda (not in green) > 1999 or 2000 can go for auto but pref. manual.

I always thought manuals had to be maintained more because of the constant shifting of gears, then again, auto does this automatically. I will have to figure out how to drive a manual first though just to make the car move, and then figure out how to do it smoothly over time - I am worried I lack that skill but if i can get a better prelude out of it since there seems to be a lot more manual preludes out there I will have to fish it out like you say and dont rush...problem is, i need a car pretty soon as it's getting harder to travel to uni by changing trains all over the place and i hate transport.

I sell the Civic tonight basically so I will need a replacement soon.

Is there another place where i can fish for preludes other than carsales or drive.com.au or carsguide.com.au???? Where do you go looking for it?

I had a look at integras but found they lacked power over the older one unless its a type R which is then over-priced relative to a prelude so scrap that option.

One Honda came to mind though a 7th gen Honda Accord Euro, it has the same technical specs nearly as a prelude, what do you think about this car over a prelude I know it's more expensive but worth it?

Also, I have seen some Preludes on sale with ATTS on the end, I know that has something to do with constant torque over a rev range, so it's smoother i guess...but is thsi some stock feature added on or programmed into the ECU? Is it worth getting a prelude with ATTS.

Oh haha and last last question im sorry, there are some nice preludes without the spoiler so is it expensive to get the OEM spoiler, or something that looks similar?

MWAKU
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Lmao nah im not a mechanic, so don't take my advice to seriously, just sharing what i know.

I sold my prelude at the beginning of this year so yeh, got a new car now, but was really tempted for another prelude.

you can go get manual in all years, should be fine, just saying that if you are going auto, dont get a 97 or 98 model.

get a friend to teach you, its not to difficult once you own the car, took me only a few days to get the hang of manual in my car now, although i had experience from driving my mates cars around, but yeh. u can try ebay or tradingpost? but other then that, those sites, and this, are the main places they pop up..

if i were you id get an accord euro, you can pick one up for about 13-15k these days for an 03 base model, might be lucky to find one with extras for that price but yeh... the prelude aint a fast car, so i'd opt for the euro. worth it definately :)

atts is that mechanism added on, controlled by the ecu so yeh, its basically a vtir with extra.

spoiler you can get pretty cheap second hand, dunno about getting it from the honda dealer, think its like 300 at the dealers.

m3ntAL_l2
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
28k left on the loan from inception (7k I have paid to date).

inception is fkd... no interest on HECS my ass.. the cost living is going up but they still add more on top of ur debit

schonda
09-07-2010, 07:18 PM
if i were you id get an accord euro, you can pick one up for about 13-15k these days for an 03 base model, might be lucky to find one with extras for that price but yeh... the prelude aint a fast car, so i'd opt for the euro. worth it definately :)

oh well I prefer a well looked after'd prelude over one that has ATTS most likely been thrashed im assuming, cause once you rev a lot you tend to repeat over and over again (in your mind you will say this is the laast time but you keep doin it)....and im gusing this is why you say to buy a stock prelude.

I know i mentioned the euro but to get one makes me feel like im downgrading from the civic but with the prelude I feel like im downgrading still although in a different direction i.e. like im purchasing a classic or something.

But once i drive a prelude then drive a euro for around the same price range <15k then the car that wins my heart will win be purchased i suppose.

By the way you drive a Misa? Mitsubishi?

schonda
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
inception is fkd... no interest on HECS my ass.. the cost living is going up but they still add more on top of ur debit

HECS? Yeah i got HECS for uni, it's a sacrifice im making to invest in my future. But i also financed the 08 civic so...i dont get what your trying to say sorry?

schonda
09-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I've been checking out the euros and your right they are around the same price as the prelude, only one downside, they have more km's clocked on them. Then again, newer cars are more reliable theoretically. I guess I should see how they drive before jumping the gun on this one.

schonda
09-07-2010, 10:11 PM

I wish i could get HECS on a new Honda hahahhaah

MWAKU
10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
lol i still drive a honda